George Schwartz and family

  • sarcasmanonymous
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 11, 2008
      My grandmother's great-grandfather was named George Schwartz, and he
      married Emma (?). George died in 1931, and Emma died in 1932.

      George's family had owned a bakery or confectioner's in East
      Baltimore. There was a picture of the family in front of the bakery in
      a Baltimore newspaper in the 1950s. My grandmother's cousin tried to
      read the street name in the photograph and thought it was Loudon or
      Lorden street, something similar.

      If anyone could help me find the picture and/or George's information,
      parents, and Emma's maiden name, I would greatly appreciate it.

      I know it's a long shot since I don't even know where the Schwartzes
      came from, but I would really appreciate this. I'm trying to make
      nice, comprehensive family tree charts to give to my grandparents for
      Christmas so I'd like to go back as far as I can.

      Thank you!
    • CWR4586@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 11, 2008
        According to http://mdvitalrec.net a quick search shows the following info
        regarding George and Emma's death. Cross checking the death certificate
        numbers with the Maryland State Archives web site http://www.msa.md.gov/msa/homepage/html/refserv.html,
        the death certificates should be on the microfilms listed below (CR #s).
        If you can get someone to print them from the microfilm for you or get
        them through the archives website. Since they were from the 1930s,
        they should contain information on their parents. That information may
        not be 100% accurate as it is from someone's memory.

        George Schwartz  died March 3, 1931   death cert: E-66204 (Baltimore City)
        CR 48,222

        Emma  Schwarz died February 13, 1932  death cert: E-76663 (Baltimore City)
        CR 48,226

      • sarcasmanonymous
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 12, 2008
          Thank you so much! This gives me a lot more to go on. And now I can be
          sure about the names.

          My great-grandmother's age isn't consistent on the 1920 census, it says
          6 and my grandmother has her birth year as 1912, but that's not the
          most important part.

          I really appreciate this!

          If you ever have any genealogical needs in Maine, I'd be glad to look
          them up :)
        • CWR4586@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 13, 2008
            I did make a trip to the archives and looked at those death certificates.
            Unfortunately, neither one was the people you were looking for. I do
            not know whether your death year information was bad, or whether
            they died elsewhere outside of Baltimore City. So the death certificate
            numbers and dates I gave you were not for your George and Emma.

            That George Schwartz that died 3 March 1931 was the husband of
            Barbara and was born 29 July 1856. His parents were Daniel Schwartz
            and Emma Ruhr. He was buried in Woodlawn Cemetery on 5 March 1931.

            That Emma Schwarz the died 13 Feb 1932 was the wife of Ferdinand Schwarz
            and was born 2 Jan 1859. Her parents were Adam Kraft and Anna Hermanulator.
            She was buried in Holy Cross Cemetery, A.A. Co.

            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 15, 2008
              Do you know of any way I might find the store/bakery that George's
              family owned? I know it was in East Baltimore and that a photo of the
              bakery (?) was run in a Baltimore newspaper in the 1950s, but the
              photo was already old.

              I wonder how much of my information is actually good... my
              grandmother's cousin used a magnifying glass on the photo to find the
              street name, and then told my grandmom over the phone, so there's a
              lot of room for misunderstandings to creep in, but we're all pretty
              clear on the fact that the Schwartzes owned a store/market/bakery in
              East Baltimore.
            • Elaine Summerhill
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 15, 2008
                Where in East Baltimore?  Lombard street?  Eastern Ave?

                Elaine

                > Do you know of any way I might find the store/bakery that George's
                > family owned? I know it was in East Baltimore and that a photo of the
                > bakery (?) was run in a Baltimore newspaper in the 1950s, but the
                > photo was already old.
                >
                > I wonder how much of my information is actually good... my
                > grandmother's cousin used a magnifying glass on the photo to find the
                > street name, and then told my grandmom over the phone, so there's a
                > lot of room for misunderstandings to creep in, but we're all pretty
                > clear on the fact that the Schwartzes owned a store/market/bakery in
                > East Baltimore.
              • patricia garcia
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 15, 2008
                  Give me some time to think about this one.  I grew up in East Balto. and would go to St. Elizabeth's Church on Sunday morning.  On the way home I was asked to stop at Schwartz's Bakery and pick up bread and buns for breakfast by my Mom.  I am 67 years old now and for the life of me cannot remember the street the bakery was located on.  What we need to do is find a 50's phone listing for Baltimore.  I went on Ancestry with no luck so far.  Do you have anymore info?  Haven't been following this one.  If I can help, I will.

                  Pat

                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 15, 2008
                    Well, isn't St. Elizabeth's on E. Baltimore St?  Depending upon where you lived, the streets could have been:
                    Fairmount - Orleans - Luzerne - Rose - Bradford
                    Montford - Port - Milton - Glover - Lakewood
                    Kenwood - Belnord - Streeper - Linwood
                    Curley - Potomac - Decker

                    Elaine

                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 16, 2008
                      Hi Elaine:

                      You are right.  St. Eliz's is on Balto. St.  I wish I could remember walking home from church and what street the bakery was on.  I am almost sure it was called Schwartz Bakery.  I will do some e-mailing around to my girlfriends in Balto. to see if they remember.  I live in Michigan now for the past 30 years.

                      I will continue to check.
                      Pat

                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 16, 2008
                        Well, I'm glad to know that there WAS a Schwartz's bakery, because I
                        started doubting that there were Schwartzes in my family.

                        In the newspaper photo that my grandmother's cousin had she magnified
                        the street name and thought it was something like Louden or Lorden,
                        but that's obviously not exact, magnifying an old newspaper photo.

                        Thank you all so much for helping! I now believe I will have a family
                        tree poster ready to give my grandparents for Christmas, which I was
                        starting to wonder about.

                        Thank you!
                      • Mayberry