CfP: Sexualities and Science in Eastern Europe, Wellington, New Zealand, 26-27.3.2010

  • Balkan Academic News
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 7, 2010
      Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 14:01:58 -0400
      From: Jim Brown <brownjim@...>

      Sexualities and Science in Eastern Europe
      Deadline for proposals: 2011-02-10

      This conference examines the development of sexology and sexual
      psychology from the nineteenth century to the present. How did authors
      use (psuedo-) scientific ideas to understand human sexuality, or the
      role of sexuality in society? How did (psuedo-) scientific ideas in turn
      affect sexual behavior and experiences? This conference poses these
      questions with a special emphasis on Eastern Europe (including Russia),
      the region which produced such "seminal" figures as Sigmund Freud,
      Károly Mária Kertbeny, Aleksandra Kollontai, Richard von Krafft-Ebing,
      and Leopold Sacher-Masoch.
      Topics of possible interest include, but are not limited to,
      sexologists, sex advice manuals, sexual psychology, sexual violence
      experts, eugenics and racial purity, the social science of prostitution,
      and experts in trafficking and sex work. We are open to scholars working
      in literature, sociology, history, anthropology, psychology, and
      cultural studies.

      Confirmed speakers include Aleksandr Etkind (King's College, Cambridge,
      UK) and Shannon Woodcock (La Trobe, Melbourne, Australia).

      We intend to publish proceedings either as a themed issue of a journal
      or in an edited volume. The deadline for final papers will fall after
      the conference, but we urge contributors to contribute original work of
      publishable quality.

      The conference will take place at Victoria University in Wellington, New
      Zealand on 26-27 March. We regret that we do not expect to have any
      funds to cover the travel costs of participants.

      Alexander Maxwell
      Victoria University, Wellington
      Email: alexander.maxwell(at)vuw.ac.nz
      Visit the website at