Links: Bosnia

  • Florian Bieber
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 21, 2000
      Bosnia's Next Five Years: Dayton and Beyond
      Last weekend's strong showing by nationalist parties in Bosnia's elections
      has exposed weaknesses in the Dayton accords. Though critical, these
      weaknesses are not fatal - either to Bosnia or to the Accords. U.S.
      Institute of Peace Special Report, November 3, 2000
      <http://www.usip.org/oc/sr/sr001103/sr001103.html>

      War Criminals in Bosnia's Republika Srpska: Who are the People in Your
      Neighbourhood?
      <http://www.crisisweb.org/projects/bosnia/reports/2nov00.pdf>
      ICG's latest report "War Criminals in Bosnia's Republika Srpska: Who are
      the People in Your Neighbourhood?" names 75 individuals in eighteen
      Republika Srpska municipalities and the Brcko District allegedly involved
      between 1992 and 1995 in war crimes like mass murder, ethnic cleansing and
      mass rape. It shows most of them still occupying positions of power in the
      police force and military, holding public office, exercising power through
      the legal or illegal economy, or influencing politics from behind the
      scenes - and working against the Dayton Peace Agreement. Among key policy
      recommendations, the report calls for the banning of the Serbian Democratic
      Party (SDS), founded by indicted war criminal Radovan Karadzic, from
      Bosnia's 11 November elections - and, failing that, maintaining
      post-election pressure by setting and enforcing tough performance
      benchmarks. The report also calls for more robust action by NATO's SFOR to
      arrest indicted war crimes suspects, as well as increased financial support
      to the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia (ICTY) in
      The Hague to enable it to increase its case load, conduct sittings in
      Bosnia and better publicise its proceedings.

      Recent changes of the RIEAS site:
      http://www.itel.gr/riies
      RIEAS NEWS:
      Nikos Tzifakis, a Ph.D. Candidate at Lancaster University, joins our Balkan
      Team. He works his Ph.D. on "Southeastern Security and the Balkans".
      We have established a "Headline Top Stories" on the first page of RIEAS,
      and we are about to establish an E-Mailing list for a Forum Discussion
      among our members.
      RIEAS Updated Pages:
      We have updated our LIBRARY Page with the Books/Monographs we have recently
      received.

      U.S.-Greek Cooperation in the Balkans: The Challenges Ahead

      BALKAN FORUM:
      1) From Milosevic to the Future
      2) Giant Cocaine Bust Linked to Milosevic Underworld

      TURKISH FORUM:
      1) Turkish-Greek Relations: The end of the honeymoon?
      2) Destined Glory: For Whom?