New Book: Step-Mothertongue: From Nationalism to Multiculturalism, Literature of Cyprus, Greece and Turkey

  • Florian Bieber
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2000
      STEP-MOTHERTONGUE
      FROM NATIONALISM TO MULTICULTURALISM:
      LITERATURES OF CYPRUS, GREECE AND TURKEY

      Price: £15.99 Publication - Spring 2000

      Please return form to:
      Middlesex University Press Tel: 0181 362 5734/5
      Bounds Green Road Fax: 0181 362 5736
      London N11 2NQ E-Mail:musl1@...

      Please send me . . . . . . . . . . copy/ies.

      Postage and Packing: Please add £1.80p per book (UK). Overseas
      rate on
      application.

      [ ] I enclose a cheque for £ . . . . . . . made payable to:
      Middlesex University Services Limited

      [ ] Please invoice me/my company/institution

      [ ] Please charge £ . . . . . . . . to my Visa/MasterCard

      Card Number:_________ /_________ /_________ /_________
      Expiry date: _____/_____

      Name: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Position: .
      . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
      Company/ Institution . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
      . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
      Address: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
      . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
      . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
      . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
      Postcode: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Tel: . . . . . . . . . .
      . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Fax: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
      . . . . . .
      E-mail: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
      . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

      THANK YOU FOR YOUR ADVANCE ORDER

      All Middlesex University Press Titles can be viewed on our
      Website: http://www.mdx.ac.uk/mdx/business/mdxpress/

      Middlesex University Press

      STEP-MOTHERTONGUE
      FROM NATIONALISM TO MULTICULTURALISM:
      LITERATURES OF CYPRUS, GREECE AND TURKEY

      Introducing Step-Mothertongue: Mehmet Yashin, Editor

      Part One: National Literatures in a Global Era

      Greek Literature Abroad: A Stranger at the Feast?, Gregory
      Jusdanis

      Je suis un autre: Turkish Literature in Transition Between National
      and
      Global Self, Hasan Bulent Kahraman

      (Pre)occupied Spaces: Hyphens, Apostrophes, and Over-sites in
      the Literary
      Imagining of Cyprus, Vangelis Calotychos

      The Ark's Void - Communism and Poetry, circa 2nd Millennium,
      Stathis Gourgouris

      Part Two: An Uncanonized Poetry Anthology of a Multicultural
      Society

      Early Cypriot Poetry
      * Ancient - Phoenician and Assyrian Poetries:
      Epitaph of a Phoenician, Anonymous
      To the Gods Who Protect Lapethos in Every Month of a Year,
      Peram
      The Kartihadast Epigraph, Poet Unknown

      * Medieval - Lusignan and Venetian Poetries:
      There is No Doubt ñ We Must Love the Rose With All Our
      Being,
      Poet Unknown or Anonymous
      We Believe in Only One God, Anonymous
      Cypriot Women as Nicosia Fell, Manoli Blessi

      * Pre-modern - Ottoman and Turkish-Cypriot Poetries:
      The Knowledge of Creation in The Firmament is His Alone,
      There is But One God, Handi (Hizir Dede)
      If You are a Dervish Oh Dervish, Seyyid Ibrahim bin ebu Bekir
      Song of The Little Stream, Anonymous

      Contemporary Cypriot Poetry
      * Cypriot Poets Writing in Greek
      Roses, Niki Marangou
      As You Return by Boat From Egypt, Niki Marangou
      The Carpet Merchant, Niki Marangou
      In the Yard of St Lazarus, Niki Marangou
      Hours, Elli Peonidou
      The House and Time, Yiorgos Moleskis
      A Blind Speaker at a Meeting for Peace, Yiorgos Moleskis

      * Cypriot Poets Writing in Turkish
      Stavrogonno, Gur Genc
      Kiss My Corpse, Gur Genc
      Not Poetry But Water, Gur Genc
      In the Middle of a Street, Mehmet Kansu

      * Cypriot Poets Writing in English
      Marash, Alev Adil
      The Reminiscences of a Statue Underwater, Alev Adil
      Appearances/Disappearances/Connections, Alev Adil
      Poem, Lysandros Pitharas

      * A Cypriot Poet Writing in Armenian
      I am a Lonely Candle, Sempad Deroudian
      My Fingers Passed, Sempad Deroudian

      * A Cypriot Poet Writing in English, Turkish and French
      Gulten, Taner Baybars

      Part Three: Poetries and Narratives on the 'Other'

      Time, Space and National Identities in Cyprus, Moira Killoran

      Nationalism and Interest in the 'Other Side's' Literature, Bekir Azgin

      The Role of Joint Narrative in Conflict Resolution: The Case of
      Cyprus,
      Maria Hadjipavlou-Trigeorgis

      Layers Upon Layers: Politics, Psychology and Language in a
      Changing World,
      Vamik Volkan (Interview by Yael Navaro-Yashin)

      Afterword, Djelal Kadir

      STEP-MOTHERTONGUE is the first book of its kind to bring
      together scholars,
      authors and poets of Turkish-Cypriot, Greek-Cypriot, Greek,
      Turkish and
      other backgrounds, to consider issues related to national and
      cultural
      identity in the Turkish and Greek language literatures, with the
      intention
      of creating a new bicommunal and multicultural approach. The
      book, aims to
      create an agenda for a post-national understanding of the
      literatures and
      languages of Cyprus, Greece, and Turkey. It studies literature and
      literary
      traditions in the two main languages of these three countries
      through an
      encompassing, cross-cultural, and comparative perspective that
      has not been
      properly endeavoured up to now.

      The purpose of this book is to revive and reinvigorate that long
      tradition of cultural and linguistic contact between Turkishes (in the
      plural) and Greeks (multiple) written in various forms in the three
      countries, their surroundings, and diasporas.

      Step-Mothertongue's tasks, is not to formalise a new kind of
      canon,
      but to question the very idea of canonization in the contexts of both
      national and multicultural literary discourses. One of the points of
      this
      book, is to open more space for literature and poetry in our life,
      rather
      then inventing a new literary canon for the sake of new identity
      politics.
      Mehmet Yashin, Editor

      Spring 2000 ISBN: 1898253307 Size: 228 x 152mm
      Price: £15.99 Paperback Extent: 227pp