CfP: Collection on Literature of Concentration Camps

  • rnzarnza
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 23, 2006
      Collection: Literature of Concentration Camps

      The Research Group for the Study of the Literature of Concentration
      Camps at Wilfrid Laurier University seeks articles for a collective
      volume on the Literature of Survivors of Concentration Camps world-wide.

      Whereas we take the Shoah as the paradigm from which to establish a
      conceptual framework for the study of the literature of survivors of
      concentration camps, we endorse Giorgio Agamben's understanding of the
      concentration camp as a "dislocating localization" set up by the
      State, which represents the "hidden matrix of the politics in which we
      are still living" (Homo Sacer: Sovereign Power and Bare Life). We are
      therefore open to the analysis of any type of literature produced by
      survivors of a legally sanctioned place of exclusion where the
      condition inhumana forces human beings to confront the spectre of bare
      life.

      We are particularly interested in papers that approach the subject
      from a comparative literary perspective. Studies of texts and contexts
      that have not yet been analyzed in depth and/or that challenge to the
      previous study of the subject are especially welcome. We also
      encourage interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary approaches, drawing
      from developments in such domains as philosophy, history,
      psychoanalysis, politics, pedagogy and legal studies.

      Possible topics include but are by no means limited to:
      1. Comparative approaches to the literary representation of time and
      space.
      2. The status of the testimony (third-person testimony, artificial
      memories).
      3. The importance of the literature of survivors of concentration
      camps for current politics.
      4. Gender differences in the literature of survivors of concentration
      camps.
      5. Literature of survivors and ideology as strategies of survival.
      6. How life "after the event" is presented and problematized through
      literature.
      7. Silence and writing (questions related to the unspeakable, the
      importance of dreams as representation of life before, during and
      after the event).
      8. The transmission of the experience as represented in the second and
      third generations.
      9. Different literary genres (such as poetry, theatre and opera) for
      the transmission of limit experiences.
      10. The language of testimony (transmitting the experience through a
      second or third language).

      Manuscripts should be in English. Authors must provide English
      translations of all citations not originally in English. Please use
      the most recent MLA guidelines for documentation style. Maximum
      Length: 20 pages.

      Manuscripts in electronic version along with CV should be send to Dr.
      Marta Marin at: mmarin@.... Please use the same address if you need
      further information. Deadline for submissions: June 30, 2006