Project: Turkish-Greek Civic Dialogue

  • Florian Bieber
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2002
      TURKISH-GREEK CIVIC DIALOGUE

      “Turkish-Greek Civic Dialogue” is a demonstration project and an integral
      part of the Civil Society Development Program (CSDP) that was designated by
      the European Commission Representation to Turkey to be implemented in
      Turkey. Under this specific topic, AEGEE wants to organise the
      Turkish-Greek Civic Dialogue Project, which aims at fostering relationships
      between non-governmental organisations (NGOs) in Turkey and Greece,
      reinforcing them by providing the opportunity to develop and organise
      partnership projects. We strongly believe that it is of pivotal importance
      to contribute to the civic dialogue between the two nations. To his end, we
      as AEGEE-Ankara developed an umbrella project to be organised thanks to the
      funds amounting to 150,000 € raised by the European Commission.
      This project will mainly address to non-governmental youth organisations
      (NGYOs) and NGOs of the two nation, Turkish and Greek university students
      and the newly established Turkish and Greek AEGEE locals in particular,
      together with all the European students in AEGEE network. This project
      will also be targeted for today’s experts, academicians, journalists,
      media, local and governmental authorities by ensuring their full
      participation to the events organised by presenting them the dialogue
      between Turkish-Greek youth.
      Turkish-Greek Civic Dialogue Project covers a two-year period including
      various activities and events to take place in Turkey, as a country
      benefiting from the MEDA Program, and to be organised in partnership with
      miscellaneous Greek and Turkish NGOs. All the events, researches under this
      umbrella project will be realised under the framework of civic integration
      concept, the basic objective of the project. Bringing youth and NGOs
      together with local citizens, government officials and media will
      contribute to civic integration and will yield positive results in terms of
      providing the Turkish and Greek youth learn more about the civil society
      and civic involvement which will in turn improve communication and
      cooperation between Turkish and Greek NGOs and university students. The
      Project includes a series of contact building, networking and training
      activities as a preparatory period to be followed by workshops on relations
      between governments and NGOs as a launching event in the year 2003. The
      core event for the year 2003 will be a Youth Festival including concerts,
      open-air movie sessions, exhibitions and several workshops of artistic and
      cultural nature. In the Festival there will be an info-fair where
      representatives from different Greek and Turkish NGOs will come together
      and find opportunity to learn about each other’s projects. There will be
      panel sessions on compulsory population, which will be organised in
      partnership with immigrant associations. Events under this umbrella
      project will be included in a Result Book and a web page. Besides the
      Result Book of the project, a comprehensive survey on the Civil Society in
      Greece and Turkey will be conducted; the statistical results thereof will
      be published together with the essays and articles from journalists and
      covered in the Result Book. The Result Book will be distributed to various
      institutions, universities, NGOS in Turkey and Greece together with
      European Union institutions. An on-line NGO database providing us with
      information on various Turkish and Greek NGOs and their projects will also
      be prepared. All the above-mentioned results to be obtained throughout the
      project will be disclosed with a final conference at the Middle East
      Technical University (METU) in participation with local and national media,
      academicians, university students, experts and governmental and local
      authorities, representatives from the European Commission and from relevant
      Embassies.

      Objective

      AEGEE locals in Turkey and Greece realised the fact that the youth, as
      tomorrow’s decision-maker, needs to develop means and tools to work with
      each other effectively. Therefore, our project “Turkish Greek Civic
      Dialogue” will serve as an umbrella for the AEGEE network, various NGOs and
      university students in Greece and Turkey, which will facilitate partnership
      projects in the region as well as to contribute in fostering cooperation
      among different youth NGOs in both countries through the establishment of a
      mutual understanding between Greek and Turkish youth. By organising this
      project, we aim at reinforcing Turkish and Greek NGOs, providing them with
      the opportunity to cooperate thanks to partnership projects, giving them
      the idea and motivation to further their cooperation and sustain their
      projects in the future by bringing them together in various events. Within
      this context AEGEE network and locals in Greece and Turkey will be the core
      stimulating actors of the newly established AEGEE locals and NGYOs, NGOs
      and local citizens in various regions in Turkey and Greece. Thanks to the
      events under this project, we have the purpose to contribute
      contact-building activities between Turkish and Greek NGOs by establishing
      an on-line NGO database that will provide information on the background,
      projects and contact addresses of NGOs in Turkey and Greece.
      Turkish-Greek Civic Dialogue Project basically aims at reinforcing
      communication between NGOs in Turkey and Greece, through bringing them
      together in various platforms. We have the desire to ensure full
      participation of university students, student clubs, local authorities,
      government officials, academicians, local and international media to the
      whole project which will give them an opportunity to communicate and pave
      the way for future partnerships. We believe this will also help government
      officials and local authorities to realise the cooperation between NGOs in
      the both nations.
      By the practical implementation of the project, we aim at reinforcing the
      organisational structures of NGOs in Turkey and Greece. Our purpose is to
      provide NGOs that will take place in the project with internal training
      courses covering project management, public relations (PR), fundraising
      (FR), budgeting, reporting, past projects about Turkish-Greek related
      issues and information on the European Commission funds and grants.
      We have realised that there is not enough documentation and research on
      civil society understanding both in Turkey and Greece. We have the
      objective to prepare some kind of information package on Turkish-Greek
      relations, Turkish-Greek related projects by Turkish and Greek NGOs. Greek
      NGOs carry out their activities in more diverse fields and are more
      experienced and organised when compared to the ones in Turkey. We intent to
      form a thematic committee that will conduct researches on the understanding
      of civil society concept in Turkey and Greece, prepare a survey
      documentation on their findings, prepare and conduct a survey on the
      concept of civil society in Greece and Turkey and extract statistical
      analysis of it. So as to make use of all the statistical results and
      database, we intend to establish a Turkish-Greek documentation centre or a
      library.
      Turkish-Greek Civic Dialogue Project is targeted mainly for the NGYOs and
      university students in Turkey and Greece. As we have mentioned, AEGEE, an
      experienced network will be the core stimulating agent in the project.
      There are a lot of newly established AEGEE locals in the region having poor
      levels of organisational capacity. Another thing is that AEGEE locals in
      the region do not have sufficient networking and contacts with the other
      NGOs and NGYOs acting in various fields in the region. Both in Greece and
      Turkey organisation of NGYOs is not well structured. In Greece, there is a
      National Youth Council to which most of the NGYOs in Greece are affiliated
      but when it comes to Turkey there is not any institution or body, which
      serves as a networking umbrella among NGYOs and/or miscellaneous youth
      societies. Moreover, university students and student clubs represent the
      mainstream youth as well as future decision-makers. Their involvement in
      civil society and in the activities organised by NGOs is of pivotal
      importance. Thus thanks to our project we aim at accessing university
      students, motivating them in a way to take part in civic initiatives, to
      take part in activities promoting mutual understanding between Greece and
      Turkey, to introduce them to various activities, organisations and
      university students in Turkey and Greece. We strongly believe that bringing
      them together will contribute in removing prejudices, to better present the
      history and culture of the both nations to each other and to bring new
      perspective to Turkish-Greek related issues.
      Local citizens of the two country representing the core and grass root
      civil society are also targeted for this project. Their interest and
      participation in youth, NGOs, university students and activities thereof,
      will definitely contribute to civic integration in two aspects. Youth will
      have the opportunity to learn history, culture and traditions from the very
      local citizens, will be hosted in local citizens houses one the one hand;
      local citizens will have the opportunity to interact, share experiences,
      observe the vision of youth and their importance in a society. To this end,
      we are planning to reach this grass root population through our contacts,
      by promoting the project in all the universities in Turkey and Greece
      thanks to AEGEE network and our contact immigrant associations.
      Academicians and experts from Greek and Turkish universities and various
      institutions and unions are also targeted for this project. We strongly
      believe that we will need thematic and academic insights for the events to
      be organised under this specific project. To this end, academicians will
      provide us with valuable contributions in terms of delivering lectures,
      assisting and orienteering researchers in survey applications. They will
      also play important role in dissemination of the effects of this project to
      universities and university students. Local and governmental authorities
      will be invited to take part to the events as well. With Turkish-Greek
      Civic Dialogue Project we aim at indicating the cooperation and partnership
      of youth and NGOs of the two nation to relevant governmental authorities.
      We have the desire to be able reflect the atmosphere of mutual
      understanding and integration between Turkish and Greek community and youth
      to the politically oriented problems and issues as well. Involvement and
      participation of local, national and a certain level of international media
      and press will also be ensured with respect to disseminate and promote the
      results of the project. For short, target group for this project will
      include more than 3000 university student members of Turkish and Greek
      AEGEE locals, approximately 5000 members of different NGOs carrying out
      activities in various fields in Turkey and Greece, more than 10,000
      university students both in Greece and Turkey, 17.000 members of AEGEE
      network, the core citizens and immigrants of the both community which have
      considerable place in the whole population.

      Detailed description of activities

      A. PREPARATORY VISITS

      Starting from October 2002, several trips to Greece and different regions
      of Turkey will be conducted by the Project Team with a view to meet youth
      organisations, present the project to them and ensure active participation
      of other NGOs in the project. In Greece universities, university student
      clubs, academicians from relevant departments, AEGEE locals, unions of NGOs
      including Hellenic National Youth Council, Turkish Embassy to Greece, local
      authorities and governmental bodies interested in the project, several
      media institutions and correspondents will be visited to make the promotion
      of the project, to ensure their participation, take their remarks and
      opinions, to distribute survey questions and to multiply contact-building
      activities.

      B- REBUILDING COMMUNICATION

      Place of the event: Sakarya University, Sakarya, TURKEY
      Time of the event: Month D
      Participant number: 70 participants from Turkey and Greece
      except for speakers
      Organising Institution: AEGEE-Ankara, AEGEE-Sakarya in partnership
      with various
      Youth organisations
      Improving communication between individuals and society is one of the
      difficulties that democratic societies face. Enlargement and effectiveness
      of civil society, which will be a part of democratic platform concerning
      the relation and communication of individual with society and government,
      is of pivotal importance for achieving full democracy. Another important
      fact is that civil society will be able to be established thanks to
      democratic NGOs. We believe that transparency and participatory democracy
      can also be ensured by improving the relations and communication between
      NGOs and governments on national and international platforms.
      Results of researches indicate that both country citizens have wrong
      aspects in terms of mutual understanding arising from political relations
      and lack of communication between Turkey and Greece. To this end, his
      project aims to be a starting point to eliminate lack of communication
      between NGOs within themselves and governments, lead them share their
      opinions and further their communication. We intent to organise activities
      under the framework of civic integration aiming at fostering communication
      between NGOs and governments. Civic integration has a vital position in
      terms of contact-building and networking. Departing from this point of
      view, we want to create an environment where integration of civil society
      with governments and media is accomplished, civic communication is rebuilt.
      Main activities of Rebuilding Communication, will be workshops dealing with
      various aspects of communication among NGOs, and with the relations and
      communication between governments, media and NGOs, panel discussions on
      national television channels, social activities such as cocktail to take
      place at the Esentepe Campus of Sakarya University. A total of 70
      participants are going to participate in the event from Turkey and Greece.
      University Students, NGOs’ members and government representatives will also
      be invited besides the speakers.
      Workshops will cover and stimulate discussions on various aspects of
      communication that affect civic integration. Six workshops have been
      designated by AEGEE-Sakarya and AEGEE-Ankara members in consultation with
      academicians from relevant departments and interested NGOs. We are planning
      to enrich our event with one or more workshop topics which will be
      determined later after building contacts with interested Greek NGOs and
      upon consultation with the thematic committee to be established for the
      whole project and academicians.

      The designated six workshops will be on:

      ¨ Communication between NGOs and Governments
      - This workshop will stimulate discussion on relations of and communication
      between NGOS and governments. Approach of governments to NGOs and policies
      on will dealt with one the one hand and expectations of NGOs from
      governments, impact of government policies on NGOs will be discussed on the
      other hand. From time to time, NGOs become face to face with barriers
      arising from government policies and regulations especially when they are
      to organise large-scale events and carry out activities. We all know how
      effective the political decisions can be in the both country. This workshop
      will be realised in participation with government officials and relevant
      local and national authorities both from Turkey and Greece. With this
      workshop we aim at providing governments to revise their approach towards
      NGOs and their activities.

      ¨ Break Through Borders:
      This workshop aims at discussing the common goals of NGOs in removing lack
      of communication between the two nations and trying to find reasonable
      solutions to lack of communication.

      ¨ Media and Civil Society:
      In this workshop we are planning to stimulate discussions and examine the
      effects of media on the two countries’ policies and on civil society; as
      well as media’s way of demonstrating facts related to policies to the
      public. Media is a strong means of communication, it is even stronger when
      it comes to Turkish-Greek relations. We strongly believe that media serves
      as a communication bridge between governments and civil society in both
      countries. For all these reasons we have chosen to organise ‘Media and
      Civil Society ‘ workshop. We will also ensure the participation of
      representatives from the European Centre For Common Ground (ECCG), an NGO
      which has organised a Turkey-Greece Civic Dialogue with activities dealing
      with the effect of media on Turkish-Greek relations. The results ECCG
      obtained during the project they organised will be disclosed and discussed
      in the workshop as well.

      ¨ Youth’s Role in Turkish-Greek Friendship:
      This workshop aims to stimulate discussions on how youth can influence
      Turkish-Greek Civic Dialogue, how they can be active and improve friendship
      and mutual understanding, and how they can take their part in
      decision-making process in this respect. Bearing in mind that, it is
      today’s youth who will be tomorrow’s decision-makers. That entails having
      enough information, extensive research and communication. That in turn
      requires their participation to such kind of organisations and start to
      improve their approach on related matters. Representatives from NGOs that
      previously worked on projects relating to Turkish-Greek relations will be
      invited, participation of academicians and conflict resolutionists will be
      ensured with a view to obtain concrete recommendations to enhance youth’s
      and civil society’s role in Turkish-Greek civic integration.

      ¨ Effects of Education on Turkish-Greek Civic Dialogue

      In this workshop impacts of education with respect to communication will
      be analysed. This workshop will be realised in participation with NGYOs,
      university student, academicians and representatives from Turkish and Greek
      History Foundations, Turkish and Greek Education Foundations. At the end of
      the workshop, participants will prepare proposals concerning educational
      regulations which will improve civic dialogue.

      ¨ Public Achievement
      This workshop has the specific aim to introduce and propose using Public
      Achievement initiative in communication between Turkish and Greek civil
      society. Basic principles and related projects of Public Achievement
      initiative will be presented and discussions will be stimulated on how to
      make use of this initiative in terms of improving communication between
      Turkish and Greek NGOs and activating them to organise partnership
      projects. We will have facilitators/ moderators from academicians from
      universities in the United States of America and Greece to deliver the
      Public Achievement initiative to Turkish and Greek NGOs. University
      students, NGOs and academicians from the two country will take part as
      participants.
      Young people today have few opportunities to really be involved in
      shaping the world around them. In the public achievement projects, people
      of all age groups work together with others, meet challenges and solve
      problems in a collective manner. Learning from each other is the basis of
      citizenship and democracy. Public Achievement is an international youth
      initiative focused on the most basic concepts of citizenship, democracy and
      public work. Public Achievement draws on the talents and desires of
      ordinary people to build a better world and to create a different kind of
      politics. There are no pre-qualifications; all people, irrespective of
      their of age, nationality, sex, religion, income, education are citizens.
      Representatives of public achievement work with kindergartens, teenagers
      and adults around the world. When things are important to you it’s easy to
      get excited, become passionate and work hard.
      The most important lessons of democracy come from doing public work; from
      solving problems and finding ways to cooperate with people who are
      different and can disagree. When we do, we all learn from each other. This
      is the kind of politics that everyone can do, not just politicians. Public
      Achievement provides the framework. We establish sites with the cooperation
      of schools and youth programs, recruit and train site coordinators and
      coaches, and work to draw young people to the program.
      Public Achievement is about discovery. About young people working as
      citizens to discover how democracy empowers ordinary people to do
      extraordinary things.
      Our aim is to make public achievement program in a practical way between
      two country citizens during the workshop.
      Participants to all the above mentioned projects will be chosen from the
      applications received from university students, various NGOs and NGYOs in
      Turkey and Greece giving the priority to newly established ones.
      Academicians from relevant departments, representatives from relevant
      foundations and institutions in Greece and Turkey as well as governmental
      and local authorities will be invited to take part.
      We will pay special attention as for the selection of workshop
      moderators/facilitators. We will promote the project in universities,
      contact with academicians from relevant departments, present the project to
      pertinent foundations and institutions in Turkey and Greece. We will also
      invite people who are experienced in and have good contacts with
      Turkish-Greek NGOs such as our partner Foundation of Lausanne Treaty
      Emigrants. A special committee from AEGEE-Ankara and AEGEE-Sakarya members
      in consultation with the thematic committee of the project will determine
      the moderators. We have very good contacts with the Ministry of Foreign
      Affairs, Ministry of Education, Ministry of Culture, Ministry of Tourism
      and Greece Embassy to Turkey. As for Greece, we will receive assistance
      from AEGEE locals in Greece and use their contacts in the government. Our
      partner FLTE will also use its own contacts with mayors and governors from
      different regions of Greece.

      The overall event will launch with a ceremony where two government
      representative, one from Greece one from Turkey will deliver the opening
      speeches. After the finalization of all workshops there will be an
      evaluation session where results obtained in the workshops will be
      presented. After the end of the workshop sessions, workshop participants
      and academicians as well as interested government representatives will
      attend panel discussions to be broadcasted live on a national broadcasting
      company in Turkey and will discuss the results of the workshop results and
      the civic integration-basic theme of the Turkish-Greek Civic Dialogue
      Project- together with Turkish citizens and participating members from
      Greek organisations.

      D.BALKAN FESTIVAL
      Place of the event: Fethiye, TURKEY
      Time of the event: August 2003
      Participant number: 80 workshop participants, more than 5000
      festival participants
      Organising Institution: AEGEE-Ankara in collaboration with several
      Turkish and Greek NGOs and Turkish and Greek university student clubs
      The highlight of the year 2003 will be a Youth Festival organised by
      AEGEE-Ankara and several partner associations from Turkey and Greece and it
      will take place in the beautiful south coast city Fethiye, several
      workshops and jam sessions will be held in Kayaköy, an ancient Greek
      village in Fethiye. The festival will include concerts, open-air movie
      sessions, exhibitions and workshops. We are going to enrich the festival by
      ensuring the participation of university student clubs of two countries,
      including sport activities and team-building games, workshops on
      psychology, dance theatre, visual arts and jazz, and including multimedia
      shows. By means of this festival, AEGEE wants to demonstrate the richness
      of the arts and culture of the two cultures to each other, stimulating a
      mutual respect and understanding. The Youth Festival will host especially
      young musicians, players and dancers from Greece and Turkey.
      The Festival will launch with an info fair where representatives of Greek
      and Turkish NGOs will present their associations and projects to others,
      this will help their integration and will pave the way for prospective
      partnership projects.
      Concerts will be by amateur student bands as well as professional Turkish
      and Greek artists performing arts belonging to common culture. Jazz will be
      the core of the festival with concerts and workshops by professional jazz
      artists and associations from Turkey and Greece. In the open-air movie
      sessions Turkish-Greek joint movies will be presented.
      Thematic aspect of the festival will base on the workshops that will be of
      artistic and cultural nature. These workshops will enable the participants
      to use their own creativity and improve their artistic skills. The
      participants of the Youth Festival will be divided into four workshops
      groups according to their preferences in their applications and will
      present their project to a wide audience.
      Workshops will be on:
      Dance Theatre: In this workshop participants will have the chance to
      improve and enjoy their dancing skills thanks to the training by
      professional dancers. They are expected to work for the play and make
      rehearsals that will be selected by the dancers during the workshop and
      they will perform the play on the closing day of the festival. Dance clubs
      of Turkish and Greek universities will also be invited as participant and
      trainer.
      Visual Arts and Documentary :
      The visual arts and documentary workshop participants will work on a
      specific project during the festival. Participants will prepare a
      documentary of the festival by using special effects, in order to deliver
      certain messages to the public. The documentary will be supported with some
      multimedia effects and will be presented to everybody on the closing day of
      the festival. In this workshop participants will learn how to use and
      create effects with hand-camera as well as creation of multimedia shows.
      Jazz:
      This workshop to be given by professional jazz musicians will aim at
      enriching the music and jazz knowledge of the participants as well as
      motivating them to create jazz composition and/ or perform existing Turkish
      and Greek jazz work of arts. This workshop will be conducted by lectures on
      history and concepts of jazz music as well as jam sessions to be performed
      by Greek and Turkish jazz musicians.
      Psychology:
      This workshop will include Greek psychology academicians and psychology
      students as well as Turkish academicians and psychology students and the
      related NGOs. There will be researches on the relations of Turkish and
      Greek citizens after the two saddening earthquakes the two nations
      experienced subsequently. We will look insight how this factor affected
      both nations in psychological manner and how it contributed to warming of
      relations.

      D. POPULATION EXCHANGE:
      Place of the event: Istanbul
      Time of the event: month 3, Conference in Istanbul
      Participant number: 30
      Organising Institution: AEGEE-Ankara, Foundation of Lausanne Treaty
      Emigrants (FLTE)
      As a consequence of the 1920-22 war between Turkey and Greece, two
      governments of the term signed an agreement on January 30, 1923 in
      Lausanne, Switzerland concerning a compulsory exchange of population. As a
      part of the Lausanne Treaty, this agreement stipulated that Muslim
      population in Greece shall migrate to Turkey and Orthodox population in
      Turkey shall migrate to Greece. Although there were exceptions in terms of
      geographical distribution, (Muslims in Western Thrace and Orthodox
      population in Istanbul were exempt).
      First and third articles of this agreement are particularly important for
      the lives of about two million people from both sides:

      Article 1: As from the May 1, 1923, there shall take place a compulsory
      exchange of Turkish nationals of Greek Orthodox religion established in
      Turkish territory, and of Greek nationals of the Muslim religion
      established in Greek territory. These persons shall not return to live in
      Turkey or Greece respectively without the authorisation of the Turkish
      Government or of the Greek Government respectively.

      Article 3: Those Greeks and Muslims who have already, and since the 18th
      October 1912, left the territories the Greek and Turkish inhabitants of
      which are to be respectively exchanged, shall be considered as included in
      the exchange provided for in Article 1.
      The above mentioned mass population movement caused unprecedented
      consequences in terms of formation of modern Turkey and Greece Today one
      out of three of Greek population and one out of ten Turkish population is
      immigrant. That is to say it is estimated that about twenty percent of the
      present-day Turkish population and more than a quarter of the present-day
      Greek population have been affected from this tragic event which took place
      in the beginning of the 20th century.

      It is now almost eight decades since the population exchange, and not much
      effort has been exerted to remove the bitter memories of war during that time.
      To this end, as descendants of the people who have been settled to Turkey,
      and as an NGO which has been working on exchange of population, that have
      established good contacts with the Minor Asia NGOs and other immigrant
      associations in Greece, that have organised immigrant meetings and
      gatherings in various cities both in Turkey and Greece, we want to create
      an environment of “Peace of Culture” through bringing this core population
      together and fostering their civic integration and communication with the
      youth, NGOs and citizens in Turkey and Greece.

      Our objectives are:

      - Assisting the youth of both nations to discover their similarities,
      - Fostering cooperation and solidarity among NGOs of both nations
      - Creating a peaceful environment in the South-Eastern Europe which will be
      constitute model for Europe and the world,
      - Creating a culture of peace on the both sides of Aegean Sea, which will
      in turn contribute in eliminating prejudices between the two nation.
      We aim to make people know each other, discover that their similarities are
      much more than their differences, we believe that solution of the current
      problems is not impossible for the people who know each other well. We know
      from our experiences that descendants of the people who were subject to the
      population-exchange are usually the most affectionate in both societies.
      Hence, we believe that it is a good idea to focus our attention to these
      parts of both societies. As descendants of the people who have been settled
      to Turkey, our aim is to create an environment where peace prevails in this
      part of Europe.
      Due to the nature of our objectives, our target is the entire population of
      the two nations.
      We will use our relationships in the press both for announcing the panels
      as well as broadcasting them partly or fully in radios and TVs.
      The target group for essay contest is the university students in both
      countries. We will request the AEGEE organisations of both countries to
      distribute the winning essays in the universities. We believe that it will
      be functional for them to refresh their contacts with the students.
      In the course of the project, we plan to organise a series of panels with
      the participation of journalists, academicians and such effective persons
      from Turkey, Greece and other nations who have studied the 1923 compulsory
      population exchange and who are willing to contribute to the objectives of
      the project.
      4 panel sessions concerning “Compulsory Population Exchange” will be held
      in Istanbul with the participants from Turkey and Greece who have studied
      the event and its consequences. Associations of immigrants and AEGEE
      members in Turkey and Greece will also be invited to participate and
      contribute to the panels. Four panel sessions will be organised in this
      event with the following topics and participants:

      Compulsory migration in 1923: History and Social Studies
      Compulsory migration in 1923 : Literature
      Compulsory migration in 1923: Cultural monuments and artefacts
      Compulsory migration in 1923: NGOs on both sides of the sea

      Expected results
      “Turkish-Greek Civic Dialogue Project” is targeted mainly for Turkish and
      Greek AEGEE locals, the whole AEGEE network, Turkish and Greek NGYOs. It
      will also address to university students, academicians, various NGOs,
      government officials, local authorities, journalists, different
      institutions and civil society in broader terms.
      There were exchange programs and co-organised events between Turkish and
      Greek
      locals in the past. However, there has always been the desire to organise
      events having larger extent traditionally between the locals. From this
      point of view, “Turkish-Greek Civic Dialogue Project” will serve as an
      umbrella project and a platform to once again bring Turkish and Greek
      locals, facilitate their partnership projects as well as by providing them
      with organisational skills and experience. They will be furnished with
      office equipment and technical assistance to be funded under this project
      and this will improve their managerial capacity as well.
      Apart from practical experience, the overall project will help Turkish and
      Greek locals to learn about various different NGOs other than AEGEE circles
      carrying out their activities in Turkey and Greece. AEGEE locals will come
      together with different NGOs in different platforms, interaction and
      communication of them will definitely motivate them for new ideas and
      projects. Turkish and Greek locals will also be provided with the
      opportunity to learn more about each other’s culture and way of life in
      detail which will have a considerable effect in eliminating prejudices
      between the two nations youth.
      Academicians will also come together in various environments both with
      university students and their colleagues. The will provide each party with
      necessary information of scientific nature and this will be reflected in
      experiences. For example, Turkish academicians will be able to learn more
      about the Community education programs and will disseminate information to
      students in Turkish universities.
      University students will also find the chance to visit the other country,
      meet and discuss with university students and government officials. That
      will improve their historical and cultural knowledge and again help
      eliminate prejudices.
      Government officials will be invited to all the events and this will
      represent them the cooperation of Turkish and Greek youth and NGOs. Their
      contribution and support to these kinds of projects will increase. They
      will also be provided with information on the Community Education Programs,
      EC funded projects.
      As various NGOs from both Turkish and Greek part are expected to
      participate in the events, and thanks to our partner NGOs in this project,
      the promotion of this project will take place and create a positive
      atmosphere in civil society.

      Publications and other outputs:

      The Turkish Greek Civic Dialogue will pave the way between the active
      students of Greece and Turkey towards partnerships on a greater extent.
      Therefore it is very important that the experiences encountered during the
      project will be shared with other organisations. The Project Team will pay
      special attention to gather all reports and material produced during the
      events and they will disseminate the final reports of the project through
      the website of the project as well as through the result brochures published.

      The Result Book will cover all the events and activities organised under
      the Turkish-Greek Civic Dialogue Project by providing the details of
      workshop topics, discussions, orientation materials as well as the
      statistical data derived by the comprehensive survey to be conducted on
      civil society in Turkey and Greece in addition to articles and essays by
      noted Turkish-Greek journalists. The circulation of the Result Book is
      planned to be 2000 copies.

      Web-page of the project will again give information about all the events
      under this umbrella project, providing implementation, program and contacts
      of the project, links and will include the NGO on-line database. NGO
      on-line database will encompass information on various Turkish and Greek
      NGOs such as their history, fields of activity, past and present projects,
      legal registry which will serve as a cyber platform for NGOs to learn about
      each other and enable future partnership projects.
      In addition to proper reporting of all actions, the Project Team will
      conduct a statistical analysis on the expectations of the participants and
      if they are fulfilled; on the evaluation of each lecture, workshop or other
      components of the event and on the practical aspects related to its
      organisation. This analysis will guide the upcoming activities within and
      outside the scope of the Project.

      Contact information:
      Project Manager

      Burcu Becermen