[balkans] New and Old Members

  • Florian Bieber
    Message 1 of 3 , May 31 12:52 PM
      Welcome to Balkans Academic News:
      Please submit your introduction, if you haven't done so far.

      Patrick Moore was born in Detroit, USA in 1951 and studied East European
      history at the University of Michigan, Univerzitet u Sarajevu and Indiana
      University (under Charles and Barbara Jelavich). He has been writing on
      Balkan affairs for Radio Free Europe since 1977, first in Munich and now in
      Prague. Moore currently edits the RFE/RL weekly newsletter "Balkan
      Report" and writes items on the former Yugoslavia and on Albania for the
      RFE/RL daily newsletter "Newsline." He is also deputy director of RFE/RL's
      Communications Division.

      Maria KOINOVA (Bulgaria) holds an M.A. in Southeast European
      Studies at the Central European University in Budapest (1998) and
      an M.A. in German Studies at the St. Climent of Ohrid University of
      Sofia (1995). She specialized in Bulgarian domestic political and
      social analysis and East-West relations in Germany while being an
      intern at the Open Media Research Institute in Prague (1996-7). At
      that time she contributed regularly to the "Transition" Magazine, the
      Daily Digest and the "Pursuing Balkan Peace" weekly. She was a
      media coordinator and assistant to the press office at the Open
      Society (Soros) Foundation in Sofia (1994-6). She won short-term
      sholarships from the European Journalism Network for participation
      in a two-months journalistic program in Munich (1997) and a
      PHARE/TACIS stipend for a seminar on "Building Democracy in
      Mass Media" in Greece (1995). She has published several articles
      in the "Transitions" magazine concerning freedom of speech and
      minority integration policies.

      Nicola Nixon, born UK, grew up in Melbourne, Australia, as
      often as possible she spends time in Denmark where her
      parents live. In 1994 she worked for a short time with
      refugee children in Serbia and developed a strong interest
      in the region. She recently started researching her PhD
      dissertation at Melbourne University and is looking at
      psychoanalytic theories of nationalism and ideology, which
      attempts to understand the elements of unconscious fantasy
      on which nationalist identifications rely. In particular
      (at this point) she is studying the work of Slavoj Zizek and
      Renata Salecl. Her current work includes an examination of
      the narcissisim inherent in many western media depictions of
      the Balkans.
      ______________________
      Florian Bieber
      Alsoerdosor utca 3
      H-1076 Budapest
      Hungary

      fbieber@...
      http://www.all.at/fbieber

    • Florian Bieber
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 7, 1999
        We welcome the following new and old members to Balkan Academic News:

        Inan Ruma, born in Ankara, Turkey, in 1974. Graduated from
        Department of International Relations, Middle East Technical University,
        Ankara. Currently working as a research assistant in the same Department,
        on MA thesis "Stability Tendencies in (SouthEastern) Europe and the Case
        of Macedonia". Served as OSCE Polling Supervisor and Advanced Polling
        Supervisor respectively in Croatia for the "Out of Country Voting" for
        Parliamentary Elections in RS (November 1997) and in BiH for the General
        Elections (September 1998). Major areas of Interest: Balkans, Economic and
        Political Transition in East-Central Europe, Football and Identity,
        Refugees in International Relations, Theories of International Relations.

        David Fisher was born in San Bernardino, California in 1943, and spent
        his childhood in St. Louis, Missouri. He received the BA in history from
        Carleton College, Northfield, MN, and an MA in religion and drama from
        Columbia University. After two years in Rochdale, Lancs., UK on an
        international work-study programme, he returned to the US and completed
        the Ph.D. in philosophical theology at Vanderbilt University in
        Nashville, TN. He has taught at college departments of religion and
        philosophy at Kalamazoo College, Blackburn College, George Williams
        College, Santa Clara University, Bowling Green State University, and
        North Central Coillege where he is currently Professor of Philosophy and
        Chair of the Department of Philosophy and Coordinator of the History of
        Ideas Programme (an Honors, interdisicplinary sequence of courses in
        Western intellectual history and culture). His primary teaching include
        ethics, aesthetics, philosophy of law, and contemporary Continental
        philosophy.
        He first became interested in developments in the South Balkans through
        personal ties with a Macedonian family, and has since developed
        researchinterests in the ways historical, social, political, and religious
        forces contribute to the establishment of normatve identity in
        contemporary Balkan societies. His wife, Dr. Sarah Fowler (Ph.D. in
        aesthetics, Temple University) is currently learning Macedonian in
        preparation for their joint visit to Skopje for a conference this
        summer.

        Stefan Krause. I'm working in Skopje as a political analyst for the
        International Crisis Group, a private, international organization
        specializing in analysis and advocacy (http://www.crisisweb.org).
        Previously,I worked
        as an elections expert for the OSCE, and from 1994 to 1997 as the
        research analyst for Bulgaria, Macedonia, and Greece at the Open
        Media Research Institute (OMRI) in Prague. I hold a Master's degree
        in East and Southeast European History and Balkan Studies from
        Berlin's Free University and am currently working on a Ph.D. on
        political symbols in independent Bulgaria.

        Inger Skjelsb├Žk.I am a researcher at the International Peace Research
        Institute, Oslo (PRIO). My acadmeic training is in social psychology and I
        am currently conducting a doctoral study on the long-term effects of the
        use of
        sexual violence in the war in Bosnia-Herzegovnia.

        I am Natassja Smiljanic, 28 and I live in London. My parents are originally
        from Croatia. I am involved in human rights activism and am studying for my
        doctorate in Human Rights law and women, with a study of sexual violence in
        war. I have visited Croatia before the break up of Yugoslavia and also
        Belgrade where I have made many friends who work in similar areas to mine. I
        look forward to making further connections with friends in the Balkans and
        particularly envisage much participation in academic and human rights
        activities.

        George Birsic. Student, International Relations, University of Zagreb,
        Croatia.

        Thijs Balder, I'm a 23 y.o. student from Amsterdam, but at the moment I
        study editorial-design in Utrecht.

        And an addition to last week's introduction:

        Maria Koinova
        I am working for the Greek Helsinki Monitor on a research project on
        minorities in Bulgaria and Macedonia, which is also sponsored by the
        Institute on Southeastern Europe in Budapest and the "Paul Valery"
        University in Montpelier.
        Florian Bieber
        fbieber@...
        http://www.all.at/fbieber