Query: US Foreign Policy Failures in the Balkans

  • sanktaekatarina
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 8, 2002
      Good Afternoon List Members,

      I am new to the list (just joined). My name is Ekatarina Ivanovic. I
      am Serbian and German. I am also an actively practicing Orthodox
      Christian. My family left "Yugoslavia" after the Communist
      Revolution, for my grandfathers life was threated (he was a high
      ranking officer in the King's Military). I was born and raised on US
      Military Bases in Europe (my father is a us army officer retired). I
      was educated in England (Oxford), and moved to Philadelphia PA (USA),
      to pursue my IMBA at UPenn. I am currently a PhD Candidate in the
      Poli Sci Department at UPenn, concentrating on Foreign Political
      Systems.

      The reason I joined this mainly for one reason. I am doing a Capstone
      Thesis on US Foreign Policy Failures in the Balkans - mainly 1) how
      the United States was incapable of comprehending the complex history
      of the region and deep rooted ethnic rivalries, and 2) how the US was
      unable to control Albanian Moslems & their terrorist networks after
      elimintating the Serbians' ability to protect themselves.

      Recently, I spend seven months traveling through Serbia and doing
      some extensive research at the University of Belgrade.

      I am always looking for recommendations for reading material. Do any
      of you attend or have you attended universities that publish Foreign
      Affairs Journals? If so, have you come across any previous scholarly
      works concerning this topic??

      Looking forward to the conversations on this list!

      In Christ,

      Katia

      p.s. if there are any other Orthodox Christians on the list, there is
      an Orthodox Christian Book List on egroups - All of you (whether
      Orthodox or not) are most welcome to join.