European database for expertise on gender and ethnicity.

  • Florian Bieber
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 27, 2001
      X-Posted from <H-SAE@...>

      My name is Lulu Helder and I'm a staff member at the Centre of expertise on
      Gender, Ethnicity and Multiculturalism; GEM.

      The centre is a division of Utrecht University located in the Netherlands.
      We focus on intercultural and gender sensitive education in a changing,
      multicultural society.

      In collaboration with the International Information Centre and Archives for
      the Women's Movement (IIAV) we are currently developing a European database
      for expertise on gender and ethnicity.

      Academics, researchers, students and others interested will be able to
      search online for educational methods and perspectives that use gender and
      ethnicity as categories of analysis within
      a topic.

      The database is 'European' in the sense that the course is offered at an
      European university or about a European country.

      If you offer a course in which you analyse gender and ethnicity please fill
      in your information at our website http://www.iiav.nl/horizons and you will
      be included in the database that we are developing.

      Or maybe you can recommend us colleagues who have such expertise.

      The primary objective of the database is to supply information to those who
      are interested in implementing theories of gender and ethnicity in their
      curriculum and who want to know about the developments in their field of

      Students can use this information to search for courses relating to gender
      and ethnicity among universities.
      The secondary objective is to create a platform for experts who already
      examine the ways in which ethnicity and gender intersect.

      Unfortunately, in Europe it is still rare to find expertise regarding the
      intersection of gender and ethnicity within a subject. Often one perspective
      is compensated
      for the other and either gender or ethnicity is being analysed.

      The network will function as a forum on the internet where those who expand
      the horizon of curricula at universities can meet, share information and
      interact in

      For these reasons I kindly ask that you fill in our entry form so that we
      may include your information in our database, thereby increasing the
      visibility of your expertise, knowledge and experience.
      You can find the entry form by clicking on this link:
      Or you visit this website by copying the address into your browser.

      Please return the form within 3 weeks. I will be happy to answer any
      questions you may have. You can e-mail your questions to : horizons@...
      Thank you very much for your time and effort,
      With kind regards,

      Lulu Helder

      GEM develops practical tools for teachers on any educational level and
      offers the expertise to develop a pluralistic curriculum, strengthening the
      perspective of gender and ethnicity. The interdisciplinary methods of
      working as well as the multicultural roots of the GEM team itself mirror the
      practical knowledge and experience with different ethnicities. See also :
      The IIAV is the national centre of expertise in the Netherlands, providing
      information on the position of women and women's studies. The IIAV's
      uniqueness and comprehensiveness dates back to 1935. The IIAV preserves the
      cultural legacy of women in the past and the present and provides actual
      information on the position of women. See also: http://www.iiav.nl/