CfA: Training Programme on "The European Union after the Summit of Nice", 29.7.-4.8., Mangalia, Romania

  • Florian Bieber
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 14, 2001
      Training Programme on

      "The European Union after the Summit of Nice"

      29 July - 4 August, 2001
      Mangalia, Romania

      PROGRAMME DESCRIPTION
      * to acquaint Black Sea area participants with democratic concepts,
      approaches and practices, as well as on Western institutions
      * to find ways of disseminating the above knowledge in the Black Sea societies
      * to contribute to the development of civil society in the Black Sea countries

      Training Programme on:
      "The European Union after
      the Summit of Nice"

      WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
      * students and young professionals interested in the European integration
      process
      * present decision-makers and experts, selected from Parliament and the
      Interministerial Committee for European Integration
      * representatives of political parties, of NGOs, of the mass-media, of
      higher education
      * all those who may contribute to the dissemination of democratic knowledge
      and attitudes in the Black Sea societies

      TEAM OF LECTURERS

      Dr. ARMAND CLESSE
      Director
      Luxembourg Institute for European and International Studies

      Dr. CHRISTOPHER COKER
      Reader
      London School of Economics

      Mr. MARIO HIRSCH
      Editor in chief of
      d' Letzebuerger Land

      TRAINING TOPICS
      >The challenges for the EU before Nice;
      >What Nice achieved. Where it failed;
      >Nice and the future of the enlargement process;
      >The roles of small and big countries in the upcoming EU;
      >The foreign security and defence policy of the future EU;
      >The position of those countries which will remain outside the EU in the
      foreseeable future;
      >The issues of reinforced cooperation and subsidiarity in the future EU;
      >The implications of the introduction of the euro for the ongoing
      integration process;
      >What kind of Europe will emerge? A supranational one? A federal one? An
      intergovernmental one?
      >Does the EU need a constitution?
      >The role of an enlarged and reformed EU in the world;
      >The future of the continent: one Europe or several?
      >The search of a better internal balance in the EU (between policies and
      economics; wealthy and less wealthy countries; more integration-friendly
      and less integration-friendly; between the (core( and the (pheriphery();
      >The role of Romania and Bulgaria in the upcoming European integration
      process.

      PROGRAMME MANAGEMENT
      Irina Chirpisizu
      Programme Coordinator
      Black Sea University Foundation

      PROGRAMME VENUE
      The training programme will be organized in the Romanian seaside resort
      Mangalia which is situated 45 km south of the main Romanian harbor
      Constantza, on the Black Sea coast.
      Access ways:
      * by air: the Mihail Kogalniceanu Airport, Constantza; transfer by bus/taxi
      (75 km)
      * by car: E60, E70, E81, E87
      * by train: the railway station in Mangalia

      During the Training Programme,
      The Black Sea University Foundation Office
      is situated at Mangalia Hotel***, first floor

      The full participation fee (220 Euro) includes: course attendance fee,
      printed materials, accommodation in twin-bed rooms (Hotel**) and meals.

      The working language is English

      Deadline for application: 15 June, 2001

      The environment:
      The weather at this time of the year is particularly pleasant at the
      seaside. The sun shines generously on the wide beach of Mangalia and the
      water temperature is around 20°C, inviting to swimming parties. Besides,
      the Black Sea shore landscape is delightful, with large orchards and
      vineyards. There are numerous remarkable remnants of ancient towns,
      starting with the period of the Hellenic colonization of the VIth century
      BC and continuing with those of Roman, Byzantine 4and Ottoman rules.

      For more information on the programme, please contact:
      The Black Sea University Foundation
      50, Primaverii Blvd.
      71297 Bucharest-1, Romania
      Tel./fax: +40-1-2224118; +40-1-2227001
      E-mail: BSEAU@...

      Attention of:
      Irina Chirpisizu
      Programme Coordinator
      BLACK SEA UNIVERSITY FOUNDATION
      The Black Sea University Foundation is a non-governmental institution aimed
      at a non-formal education relating to the key issues of the Black Sea
      Region. Established in 1992, the Foundation offers training courses
      targeted at the specific needs of the region, particularly with regard to
      the shared concerns on civil society, economy and environment of the Black
      Sea area countries.

      The Black Sea University Foundation offers to young professionals the
      opportunity to share knowledge and experience related to the issues of the
      Black Sea region in a congenial intellectual environment. Thus, it provides:
      * training in key issues related to the NGO sector;
      * professional development in an international environment;
      * a focal point of debating common issues of the Black Sea region in a
      multinational intellectual environment;
      * an opportunity to share experience with experts from other nations and
      establish links to colleagues from other nations;
      * a forum to shape solutions to shared problems in the Black Sea region.
      The Foundation is linked to several important national, regional and
      international institutions, which provide some of the expertise available
      to participants. In 1993-1997, besides the main universities and research
      institutes from the countries of the Black Sea area, experts from the
      European Union, UNESCO, EDI - World Bank, Columbia University - USA, the
      Foundation for International Training - Canada, University of Alabama -
      USA, Washington State University - USA, Tokai University - Japan, London
      School of Economics, Institute for European and International Studies -
      Luxembourg and many others have participated in course offerings. In
      cooperation with Ovidius University, Constantza, BSUF initiated the
      creation of the Black sea University Network.
      The Black Sea University Foundation
      International Center for Continuing Education

      If you wish to join in the programme, please read carefully and fill in the
      following application form:

      First name:____________________________

      Last name:____________________________

      Institution / Position:____________________

      Payment of the 220 Euro course fee (and of additional accommodation
      requirements) will be done:
      ¨ In cash, at arrival
      ¨ Bank transfer
      ¨ Travellers' cheque
      ¨ I wish to apply for a scholarship*
      [students only]

      Interested candidates should send the Application Form together with:
      * Curriculum Vitae
      * Letter of Intention
      * An essay on the Summit of Nice (2 pg.)
      * Two Letters of Recommendation
      Deadline for application: 15 June, 2001

      Please send the materials to the following address:
      The Black Sea University Foundation
      50, Primaverii Blvd., 71297 Bucharest-1, Romania
      Tel./fax: +0040-1-2224118; +0040-1-2227001
      E-mail: BSEAU@...

      *Please contact the programme coordinator before filling in the application
      form.
      For traveling arrangements, please contact the programme coordinator.