10618CfP: Performing Island Identities, Famagusta, North Cyprus, 19-21 November 2012

  • orlic@inantro.hr
    Sep 28 1:25 AM
      Dear Moderator,

      I would like to announce a conference in North Cyprus next year. I hope
      that it could be of interest to some of the memebers of the Balkans group.
      Thank you,
      Best wishes,

      Olga Orlić
      Institute for Anthropological Research,
      Zagreb

      Conference Announcement: Performing Island Identities: Music, Dance, Folk
      Theatre, Storytelling and Performance Traditions, (Gazimağusa
      (Famagusta), North Cyprus), 19-21 November 2012

      We are pleased to announce a new upcoming Island Dynamics event:
      Performing Island Identities: Music, Dance, Folk Theatre, Storytelling and
      Performance Traditions, which will be taking place in Gazimağusa
      (Famagusta), North Cyprus on 19-21 November 2012. Performing Island
      Identities will explore music, dance, storytelling, folk theatre, and
      other performance traditions past and present in island communities
      worldwide. We will place special focus on the role of performance
      traditions in forming and maintaining identity. The conference will bring
      together folklorists, anthropologists, ethnomusicologists, and others to
      consider the role of islandness in the development of traditions. We are
      delighted to have the noted folklorist and musician Alan Jabbour acting as
      keynote speaker.
      The Center for Cyprus Studies of Eastern Mediterranean University and the
      Center for Island Studies of the Institute for Anthropological Research
      (Croatia) are collaborating partners on this project.

      The call for papers for this conference is now out
      (http://www.islanddynamics.org/performingislandidentities/cfp.html), and
      the deadline for abstracts is 15 March 2012.

      We do, of course, appreciate expression of interest in advance of the
      deadline