OSCE Mission condemns killing of two police reservists in former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia

  • office@greekhelsinki.gr
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2002
      Press Release

      http://www.osce.org/news/generate.php3?news_id=2670

      OSCE Mission condemns killing of two police reservists in former Yugoslav
      Republic of Macedonia

      SKOPJE, 26 August 2002 – Ambassador Craig Jenness, the Head of the OSCE
      Mission to Skopje, strongly condemned the killing of two police reservists
      Monday night in Gostivar.

      "We deeply regret this criminal act and express our sincere condolences to
      the families of Dail Jankovski and Aleksandar Nikolic, who lost their lives
      while performing regular duties", Ambassador Jenness said.

      The policemen were killed last night in a drive-by shooting whilst on duty
      near the city of Gostivar, some 70 kilometres from the country's capital,
      Skopje.

      The OSCE Mission is monitoring the situation and has offered its support to
      the authorities in the investigation of the case. The police have reacted
      promptly and professionally to this incident and are conducting an
      investigation that hopefully will soon lead to the perpetrators being
      brought to justice. The situation in the area is calm and quiet, and the
      local population - many of whom expressed disapproval of this regrettable
      act - is co-operating with the authorities.

      "We believe all leaders and citizens in this country, regardless of
      ethnicity, will join us in condemning this despicable and cowardly act",
      Ambassador Jenness said.

      Florin Pasnicu
      Spokesperson
      OSCE Spillover Monitor Mission to Skopje

      Marshal Tito 19/2, Makosped Building
      1000, Skopje
      The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
      GMT+1

      Tel.: +389-2 111 143
      +389-2 112 413
      +389-2 222 950