International community urges release and peaceful end to Macedonian kidnapping

  • office@greekhelsinki.gr
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2002
      Press Release

      http://www.osce.org/news/generate.php3?news_id=2684

      International community urges release and peaceful end to Macedonian
      kidnapping

      SKOPJE, 30 August 2002 – The following is a Joint Statement by the European
      Union Special Representative Alain Le Roy, Ambassador Ioannis Economou, the
      United States Ambassador Lawrence Butler, NATO Ambassador Nicolaas Biegman
      and the Ambassador to the OSCE Spillover Monitoring Mission to Skopje,
      Craig Jenness.

      We strongly condemn the hostage taking of five persons last night on the
      Tetovo-Gostivar highway. We demand their immediate release.

      We welcome the assurance of the authorities to do their utmost to safeguard
      the lives of the hostages, and to refrain from any action that can lead to
      further escalation of this situation.

      We call on Albanian leaders to assist the authorities to do their best to
      find a peaceful solution.

      We also appeal to the local population to co-operate fully with the
      authorities and to assist in securing the release of the detained persons.

      The OSCE, European Union Monitoring Mission, supported by Task Force Fox,
      are present in the affected areas in order to monitor the situation and
      maintain confidence.

      Florin Pasnicu
      Spokesperson
      OSCE Spillover Monitor Mission to Skopje

      Marshal Tito 19/2, Makosped Building
      1000, Skopje
      The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
      GMT+1

      Tel.: +389-2 111 143
      +389-2 112 413
      +389-2 222 950

      Fax: +389-2 111 267

      E-mail: oscemsk@...
      ----------------------------------

      Latest news from the Organization for Security
      and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) - http://www.osce.org

      OSCE CHAIRMAN-IN-OFFICE CONDEMNS KIDNAPPING IN FORMER YUGOSLAV
      REPUBLIC OF MACEDONIA

      http://www.osce.org/news/generate.php3?news_id=2688&uid=2

      LISBON, 30 August 2002 -- The OSCE Chairman-in-Office, Portuguese Foreign
      Minister Antonio Martins da Cruz, today condemned the kidnapping of
      civilians in the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia and called for their
      immediate and unconditional release.

      "We condemn in the strongest possible terms the kidnapping of a group of
      civilians and demand that they should be released immediately", the
      Chairman-in-Office said.

      He called on all sides to exercise maximum restraint and avoid any actions
      that could lead to an increase in tension. Deploring all recent incidents
      of violence, including the killing of two policemen this week, the
      Chairman-in-Office said the actions of extremists must not be allowed to
      undermine the country's path towards stability and European integration nor
      interfere with the 15 September parliamentary elections.

      Richard Murphy
      Spokesperson/Head of Press and Public Information
      Press and Public Information Section
      OSCE Chairman-in-Office

      Kärntner Ring 5-7
      Vienna, 1010