    Message 1 of 92 , Oct 28, 2010

      A huge thank you goes out to Al Bloomer and Joe Doyle for the wonderful ADM Clinic and presentation that they put together for us this past weekend.  Everyone who attended had great things to say about the ADM program and the sweaty, red-faced kids thoroughly enjoyed their time on the ice!

      Need a fun and safe place to hang out on Halloween for your family?  ZooMontana is hosting Howl-O-Ween at the zoo Saturday & Sunday from 1:00 – 4:00 pm.  Kids dressed in costume are admitted free while an accompanying adult is $6.25.  I mention this event because the Billings Bulls & Oz Fitness players will be at this event handing out candy and brochures advertising the BAHL.  Sounds like a great opportunity to help spread the word about our great sport!

      Bahl Format:

      The BAHL Board of Directors has been discussing our current league format and ways to improve what we have in place, with a focus on our younger age divisions.  The goal of the Board is to grow our membership overall and bring back a strong house program to give families a lesser expensive opportunity to enjoy this great game without having to commit to a travel team.  We are on the right track with our free Learn to Play program which has been very strong this season, but more can be done to increase our membership.

      With those thoughts in mind, the Board has decided to consider the following format for Mites, Squirts and Peewees beginning with next season (2011-2012):

      Mites:  Officially declare the BAHL mite program as a USA Hockey ADM compliant program.  Since we already are using many aspects of this program already, you won’t see much change here.  We will begin to use cross-ice games along with the current half-ice format and per our BAHL by-laws, volunteer only travel for Mites is limited to no more than 3 tournaments outside of Billings.

      Squirts:  The BAHL Squirt division will no longer have MAHA travel teams.  This division will be a house division, with no specific travel team(s).  This division will utilize half-ice games as well as full-ice games.  Players will have the option of traveling to up to 5 tournaments outside of Billings during the season – same volunteer format as is currently used in the Mite division.

      PeeWees:  The BAHL Peewee division will participate in MAHA with one travel team.  All other Peewee players will participate in our house program.  The travel team will be determined by the try-out process.

      Your input on these proposed changes is welcome.  This format has not been voted on or set yet.  These changes will be discussed at our next board meeting November 8th.  The first hour (6:00-7:00 pm) of this meeting will be devoted to membership comments on these changes.

      Wreath Fundraiser:

      If you have not yet received the information on our wreath fundraiser, please contact your Age Group Director, Team Manager or myself in the league office.  This fundraiser started October 25th and will continue to November 12th.  All orders must be turned in to the league office by November 12th to be included in our November 30th delivery date. Remember that $10.00 of every wreath sold is credited to your skater’s account or a refund check will be issued if your fees are already paid in full.

      Mentor Program:

      Is your skater wanting to do more than skate with his team?  Is he/she interested in helping other age divisions at practice?  USA Hockey has a mentor program in place just for these skaters.  If your skater is interested in being a mentor during another age division’s practices, please contact either myself or the coach of that division to see if there is room for him/her to help out.  Each travel team or house division is limited to 2 mentors.  Your skater must be one division older than where they want to help.  This time on the ice as a mentor is not for your skater to practice his skills or skate around the other players, it is for him/her to help a coach who wants your skater there and to learn about teaching other skaters.  There is a form which must be completed by the mentor skater before he/she can be placed with a team.

      Equipment?

      A reminder that the Board of Directors is asking for business proposals for a hockey shop to help service our members.  If you are interested in filling this void of a local hockey shop for our players, the BAHL Board of Directors is accepting written business proposals from any of our BAHL members.  Please submit your detailed proposal to the league office no later than November 7th for consideration.  There is a small room at the top of the stairs near the league office, that could be utilized for a storefront.  Another option might be a trailer that is brought to the arena during set hours each week.

      Available Ice:

      The arena has plenty of available ice for purchase if your team is wanting some additional practice time or to invite a team in for a game or two.  Call or email me if you are interested in what dates are available.

      Until next time!

      Message 92 of 92 , Sep 20 1:02 PM