  • Chandra Picicci
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 8, 2010

      Wow!  In just a few days, the compressors will be fired up and the arena will begin to cool down.  How time flies…

      Thanks go out to the select few that spent some time on their hands and knees scraping old caulk off the concrete and buffing the dasher boards of puck marks.

      Rink Status:

      1. Dasher boards cleaned of puck marks:  not complete
      2. Glass cleaned of puck marks:  not complete
      3. Spectator stands, walkways cleaned and ready for painting:  not started
      4. Locker rooms painted as needed:  not started

      All of the above items cannot be done once the building has gotten cold again.  We are a volunteer organization which means this work will not be completed without your help.  If you are available to help, please send me an email.  I will make arrangements for the arena to be open if we have volunteers ready to work.

      Also in the arena right now is JR Electric who has been working feverishly to fix the multitude of electrical issues that we have been dealing with over the years.  This work has taken longer than expected as it was messier than expected.  New front doors and new player entrance doors have been ordered through Granite Door and will be installed early this fall.  Todd Young has taken on the task again this season of beautifying our hockey nets and learn-to-skate gliders.  Thank you Todd for the time, effort and supplies you donate to complete this task every year!!!

      Registration:

      JULY 25th  AND AUGUST 1ST:  1:00 – 4:00 pm Registration at the arena.  Bring your completed registration packet to the arena, do some cleaning (see below) and let your kid skate for free!

      Cleaning & Ice Laying Schedule:

      ICE:   July 17 and 18 we will need lots of help painting lines, circles, and the logos on the ice.  Volunteers who have a flexible schedule and can help with the actual ice laying process are also needed.  Please contact me if you can help with painting lines & logos or with the ice laying.  A schedule will need to be created for this, so I must know who is coming when.

      FINAL SCRUB:  The week of July 24 – August 1st we will have one big cleaning push to get it done.  This will encompass the entire arena:  bathrooms, floor mats, concession stand, locker rooms, player benches/scorekeepers area, etc.  There will be a lot of work to be done so your help will be greatly needed and appreciated!  Stay tuned for exact cleaning hours -

      REMEMBER THAT ALL WORK DONE AT THE ARENA THIS SUMMER COUNTS TOWARD YOUR LEAGUE SERVICE COMMITMENT.  You will need to sign in and out each time you are working at the arena so your hours can be tracked.  Most of your league service commitment could be finished before the season begins!

      Coaches:

      The deadline has come and gone for coaching applications to be received for this coming season.  The Coaches Committee will be meeting soon to review the applications received and begin the process for tryouts and coaching selections.  If you are interested in coaching this coming season, please send your application in immediately.  Forms are available on the website.

      Billings will be host to a Level 4 Coaches Clinic this summer.  August 20-22, 2010 are the dates.  This clinic will be held at the Holiday Inn and will cost $275.00.  You must already have an active level 3 coaching certification to attend.  You can register by going to our website at www.centennialicearena.net and visiting the coaches page where I have posted the registration form or you can click on the USA Hockey coaches page link which will allow you to register online for the clinic.  This clinic may not be back in our area for some time so take advantage while you can.

      Billings Motorcycle Club Hill Climb:

      As I mentioned in the mailing that everyone should have received, we will again be teaming up with BMC to help at their annual Hill Climb event July 31 and August 1.  THIS VOLUNTEER WORK COUNTS TOWARDS YOUR LEAGUE SERVICE HOURS.  Two persons are needed for each 4 hour shift on each day:  8:00 am – 12:00 pm, 10:00 am – 2:00 pm, 12:00 pm – 4:00 pm.  Adults are needed as one of the volunteers for the task of checking coolers for alcohol.  BMC donates $1,000 to the BAHL and splits the profit with us from the programs we sell during the two days.

      Employment Opportunity :

      The BAHL will be hiring an employee for the 2010-11 season to begin immediately.  Randy, our full time employee from last season will not be returning.  This position will have responsibilities that include ice cuts, general maintenance, skate sharpening, concession stand duties, and more.  Weekly hours will vary from 30 – 40 hours and will include nights and weekends.  Applicants must be a minimum of 18 years of age.  Anyone interested in this position can pick up an application at the arena.  Due to our summer hours, a phone call before coming to the arena would be suggested to ensure the arena is open.

      Sponsors:

      We are currently in the midst of securing sponsors for the season.  This includes ice logos, dasher boards, team sponsors, wall signs, spectator seating signs, etc. A new opportunity this season is a sponsor for the Learn to Play Hockey program.  We would love to have a sponsor to support this free program for our community.  If you know of a business that might be interested in participating in our sponsor program, please let me know.

      Referees:

      Saturday, September 18, 2010 will be a Referee clinic.  This is for all returning referees and for anyone interested in becoming a referee.  The clinic will be an all day event at the rink with a portion of the clinic being on the ice.  Clinic registration can be done through the BAHL website on the new Referee page.

      Camp Reminders:

      Registrations are still being accepted for the Billings Bulls Camp August 2-6 and for Planet Hockey’s camp August 9-13.  It’s not too late to get your player on the ice and ready for the season.  Visit the BAHL website for camp registration information.

      Until next time!

      Chandra Picicci

      League Director, Billings Amateur Hockey League

      256-1192

      director@...

    • ginni smith
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 8, 2010
        Hi Chandra,
        I haven't heard from Shawn McDonald on the question I had about Devon Martin taking lessons again next year.......After next year he will be going back to Phoenix. Thanks
        Ginni Smith

      • Connie Murphree
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 9, 2010

          Hi, Chandra –

          Of the 4 items listed that still need to be done, can any of them be completed by 2 or 3 people in a couple of hours?  We have quite a bit going on, but if Mike, Aaron and I could get something done in a couple of hours time, we could find a way to make it up this week-end.

          Thanks,

             Connie Murphree

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 9, 2010
            Hi Chandra--

            Thomas and I and maybe his sister are available to work on the rink this
            Wed (the 14th). Jan emailed me that she is trying to organize a work
            group that would start at 6:00. We are going to be in Billings
            earlier-- around 3:00 or 4:00 and can go till about 7:00. Is it
            possible that someone would be there at that time to let us in and show
            us what to do?

            Thanks,

            Lea
          • Dohef@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 13, 2010
              Lea,
              Chandra said she will be there by 3 and you can come in then.

              Hope you are still there @ 6 so I can say hi!!!

              Jan