  • Chandra Picicci
    Message 1 of 92 , Jun 15, 2010

      Hello From The BAHL Office!

      Summer seems to have officially arrived, yeah!  I hope everyone is enjoying the nice weather and their break from hockey.  The rink has been pretty quiet but things are starting to pick up now.  The required electrical repairs are being started this week.  Coaches lockers are cleaned out and will be replaced shortly and our new front doors have been ordered.

      Camp Reminders:

      Registrations are still being accepted for the Billings Bulls Camp August 2-6 and for Planet Hockey’s camp August 9-13.  It’s not too late to get your player on the ice and ready for the season.  Visit the BAHL website for camp registration information.

      Registration:

      We have a great start on registration for this coming season.  Many of you took advantage of the early registration discount!

      JULY 25th  AND AUGUST 1ST:  1:00 – 4:00 pm Registration at the arena.  Bring your completed registration packet to the arena, do some cleaning (see below) and let your kid skate for free!  I might need some office help these two registration days if someone is interested in earning a few league service hours, let me know.

      Cleaning & Ice Laying Schedule:

      The time has come to begin a cleaning, prep, and painting schedule for the arena.  Here are the priorities:

      1.  RIGHT NOW:  we need to get the concrete surface and dasher boards prepared for the ice laying process.  Help is needed to clean the dasher boards and glass of puck marks and we need to scrape all the caulk off the concrete and lower portion of the dasher boards (please bring a sharp putty knife for this work).  The work can be done by our youth players, but would advise only older players for removing the caulk as it is detailed and must be done properly.  PLEASE SEND ME AN EMAIL IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO HELP WITH THIS.

      2.  JULY 6, 7, 8:  cleaning and prepping areas that need to be painted – primarily the spectator bleachers and public skate benches.  The spectator area, bleachers, walkway and benches will need to be scrubbed and prepped for a new coat of paint.  There will be some small areas in the locker rooms that will need some touch up paint as well.  PLEASE SEND ME AN EMAIL IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO HELP WITH THIS.

      3.  ICE:   Our first scheduled activity at Centennial is on July 26th.  With this date in mind, the compressors will be turned back on about July 12th.  Once the concrete has cooled sufficiently, the ice laying process will begin.  Volunteer help is a definite must during this time as this process is quite lengthy.  One of the most visible items in this process is the painted lines and ice logos.  July 17 and 18 we will need lots of help painting these lines and applying the logos to the ice.  Volunteers who have a flexible schedule and can help with the actual ice laying process are also needed.  Please contact me if you can help with painting lines & logos or with the ice laying.  A schedule will need to be created for this, so I must know who is coming when.

      4.  FINAL SCRUB:  The week of July 24 – August 1st we will have one big cleaning push to get it done.  This will encompass the entire arena:  bathrooms, floor mats, concession stand, locker rooms, player benches/scorekeepers area, entryways, zam room, skate room, etc.  There will be a lot of work to be done so your help will be greatly needed and appreciated!  Stay tuned for exact cleaning hours -

      REMEMBER THAT ALL WORK DONE AT THE ARENA THIS SUMMER COUNTS TOWARD YOUR LEAGUE SERVICE COMMITMENT.  You will need to sign in and out each time you are working at the arena so your hours can be tracked.  Most of your league service commitment could be finished before the season begins!

      Board News:

      Following is the makeup of the BAHL Board of Directors and Committee Chairpersons for the 2010-2011 season:

      President:  Sean O’Donnell

      V. President:  Jeff Wilson

      Secretary/Treasurer:  J.J. Carmody

      Directors at Large:  Rob Gagnon, George Bentzel, Pat Picicci , Glen Korf, Jim Lilly, Eric Barnhart and Layne Martin

      Committee Chairpersons:

      Marketing/Communications (this committee is for marketing, public relations and fundraising):  Jeff Wilson

      Leading Practices (this committee is for coaches, league equipment, discipline and tournament director):    Pat Picicci

      Governance & Operating (this committee is for By-laws, BAHL handbook, Rules & Regulations, nominating, and strategic planning):  Eric Barnhart

      Volunteer Coordinator (this committee is for overseeing the League Service program):  This position has not yet been filled

      Member participation is requested for each of these committees.  If you are interested in serving on one of these committees or have questions regarding the committees, please contact me.  Serving on a BAHL committee counts towards your league service commitment and it gives you an insider’s view of the work that goes into your league.

      Equipment:

      I did not receive much interest in hosting a used equipment swap for this season, so if you have equipment that you no longer need, please consider donating it to the league.  We are especially in need of hockey skates that are in good condition for use in our Learn to Play hockey program and for public skate sessions.

      Coaches:

      Billings will be host to a Level 4 Coaches Clinic this summer.  August 20-22, 2010 are the dates.  This clinic will be held at the Holiday Inn and will cost $275.00.  You must already have an active level 3 coaching certification to attend.  You can register by going to our website at www.centennialicearena.net and visiting the coaches page where I have posted the registration form or you can click on the USA Hockey coaches page link which will allow you to register online for the clinic.  This clinic may not be back in our area for some time so take advantage while you can.

      Referees:

      Saturday, September 18, 2010 will be a Referee clinic.  This is for all returning referees and for anyone interested in becoming a referee.  The clinic will be an all day event at the rink with a portion of the clinic being on the ice.  Clinic registration can be done through the BAHL website on the new Referee page.

      Until next time!

      Chandra Picicci

      League Director, Billings Amateur Hockey League

      256-1192

      director@...

      Message 92 of 92 , Sep 20, 2012