- May 6 10:04 AM
Hello From The BAHL Office!
The arena survived the wild winds of the past few weeks – part of a sign came off the main entrance and our reader board sign at the edge of the property was blown over, but everything else stayed intact. I wasn’t sure each windy day as I headed for the rink what I might find!
This Weekend at Centennial:
A whole lot of nothing! If you have suggestions of ways to use our arena during the off-season, please send them my way. Would your player be interested in having access to the arena to practice stick handling? Send me an email if that is something your kiddo would like to do. With enough interest, I hope to set up some open times during June and July for this. If you are a coach and would like to bring your team out or would be interested in organizing a off-season stick handling session for those interested, let me know.
- Billings Parks & Rec. Learn-to-Skate Program at Centennial July 26-August6, 2010. A daytime and evening session will be offered in this program. Our local figure skating clubs will be providing professional instruction to all skaters. A Parks & Rec brochure should be coming home with your K-6th grade student soon. You can also visit their website at www.prpl.info for registration information. Participation is open to everyone ages 3 and up! Profit from this program is shared with the BAHL.
- Billings Bulls Youth Hockey Skills camp at Centennial August 2-6, 2010. Profit from the camp is shared with the Bulls and BAHL. More information is available on our website: www.centennialicearena.net
- Planet Hockey at Centennial August 9-13, 2010. Visit this web page for more information about the camp: http://dnet.planethockey.com/camps/. If we fill this camp, Planet Hockey makes a donation back to our league!
We had a great time playing poker and bingo during our Blades for Billings Casino Night fundraiser. The event raised $5,300 in net profit to our league. This was less than we hoped to cover needed repairs to the rink, but was a successful start to an event that we plan to continue each season. Thank you again to everyone who attended and those wonderful volunteers who put in countless hours preparing for the evening.
Summer To-Do List:
As the board attempts to prioritize the list of needs and wants for the arena I would like to ask for supply and/or donations of work from those skilled in the specific areas we need attended to. The following items are a few of the items that will be considered by the board for completion this summer. Knowing that there are supplies being donated or available at a discount or labor at a discounted cost is very helpful in making decisions on what can or cannot be completed in the next few months.
- Coaches Lockers: supplies to build new lockers
- Goalie Equipment Storage: supplies to build a new storage locker for league equipment
- Parking lot: The lot needs to be graded to direct run-off away from the building, this includes the zamboni entrance area. Also needed is a fresh load of gravel to be spread out.
- Zamboni Entrance: This area is in need of a major overhaul that may include taking out the current concrete pad, installation of a drainage system and the pouring of a new slab. The zamboni blade drags or catches on some of the concrete pad each time it enters or exits the building. This is hard on the zamboni and the concrete. Water from the parking/zam area drains back onto the concrete pad and eventually overflows into the building which brings in dirt and rocks that can get into the zam and onto the ice.
- Parking lot barriers: this past season, many of the posts that line our parking lot were knocked over and the cable which was strung between them removed. All of these posts (or new ones) must be put back in place and the cable restrung.
- Board Room: An entire remodel of this room is truly in order but probably not on our priority list for now. If anyone has carpeting that would fit the room, it would be a definite improvement until more could be done at a later time.
- Paint: We use quite a bit of paint each season for the arena from the spectator bleachers to the locker rooms to the board room. If you have access to discounts with certain paint suppliers or just wish to contribute funds for purchasing paint and painting supplies, let me know.
If you see something listed above that you can help with, please contact me for more specific project information.
The following is in response to some concerns and confusion I have heard regarding fundraising at the BAHL. I hope this explains the fundraising process a bit more, but please contact me directly if you have additional questions or concerns on this or any other BAHL matter.
Blades for Billings is an annual event that began two seasons ago with the main purpose of raising funds for capital improvements to our facility. Rather than large increases to hourly ice rental fees or player fees, this event is the primary source for community involvement to raise funds for the much needed repairs and improvements to our aging building. As these improvements and repairs are completed, the funds raised from this event will be primarily put away for a new facility or additional sheet of ice. As this event grows each year, the sky is the limit as to what we can accomplish with the additional help of our community.
As a non-profit organization, fundraising will forever be a part of our season. It is our hope that you will support these efforts in whatever way you can throughout the season. As will be outlined in the detailed league service information to come out shortly, serving on a fundraising committee or helping with the player fundraising organization will also be a way to help fulfill your league service commitment.
Just a reminder that the early registration discount was extended to June 1st. You must pay your fees in full by this date to receive the $75.00 discount. The 2010-11 USA Hockey online registration is ready for you to complete. Please send the printed confirmation form from this registration with your BAHL registration paperwork.
Until next time!
League Director, Billings Amateur Hockey League
- << Previous post in topic Next post in topic >>