2635Re: [bagpipes] cauld wind pipes

  • JohnR
    Mar 21, 2009
      Malcom,

      I am told by my wife that Queen Victoria instructed that something WOULD be worn under the kilt after a kilted unit had a performance on a highly polished floor for the Queen.......

      JohnR

      At 08:37 PM 3/21/2009, you wrote:

      John......I appreciate your email....we portray 18th century Highlanders and the kilts were worn a bit higher at that time, above the knee, as is depicted in many
      of the portraits of Highlanders (there is a famous sketch of Highlanders in France about 1800 and the kilts are quite short and well, have been updrafted by the wind with some "proper French Ladies" snickering!)  Historians trace the longer length of the kilt to Queen Vic's time when they went a down to approx.  middle of knee.
      I also have modern kilts and they are worn to the modern length.  Malcolm
      On Mar 21, 2009, at 9:25 PM, JohnR wrote:

      Malcolm,

      Do you ware your kilts as high as what's depicted in the pictures??? If so I suggest you look at some pictures depicting the proper wear of the kilt. Our late Pipe Major (My Father-in-law) who was born in Forfar Scotland and a son of a Blackwatch soldier, always instructed us that the kilt should just touch the floor when kneeling.

      JohnR in WI

      At 05:30 PM 3/21/2009, you wrote:

      I'm new to this forum. I do 18th century Highland military: American Rev. War, 7 Years War, and Jacobite. ( www.muskets-of-the-crown.org). I am Army Sjt. Major of the recreated 18th century British Army here in N. America ( www.britishbrigade.org). I bought a set of border pipes (cauld wind) from a friend two years ago and just recently retired, I now have some time to play with them. I also have a good friend, in our regiment, who is a great piper. So, he gave me a quick rundown on the chanter (I have a musical background, piano and flute type instruments) and I"ve been practicing it.....AFter a few weeks, I got the pipes out. I think they are air tight but I"m really pumping the bellows to have enough air for all the sounds! The main thing is that it seems that the neck on the bag is so long I can hardly reach the finger holes (I don't have short arms). Ideas and advise? I know....I should just take them to my pipe friend and have him take a look.

      Malcolm

      Database version: 5..12010

      Database version: 5.12010

      Database version: 5.12010