Re: [Bagpipers] Off road bagpipes for little dough

  • Andrew Michael MacTao
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 1, 2004
      Will wrote:
      > > Hey Kurt just do a search on Gibson Firesides,Walsh
      >Shuttles,Fairylore Smallpipes or check the smallpipes categories at
      >any of the bagpipe suppliers.These are all made in polly.

      Has everyone seen Walsh's latest SmallPipes? Oliver
      <http://www.hotpipes.com> just started carrying them. He's got a
      really nice description and lots of pictures on his website.

      A brief recap:
      They're mouth blown poly Pipes.
      They come with "A" and "D" Chanters.
      The drone setup is 4 drones in a common stock. (This part is really cool)
      The shortest and longest drones have wee stoppers tethered to the
      ends of the pipes. One of the middle drones has a valve on it... When
      you plug in the "A" Chanter, you stopper up the shortest drone and
      flip the valve on the middle drone one way, which gives you tenor
      baritone and bass drones in "A". When you plug in the "D" Chanter,
      you stopper up the longest drone and flip the valve the other way to
      give you tenor baritone and bass in "D". Both Chanters have wee
      fittings on them... Sort of Chanter extenders... The hemped end of
      the Chanter fits into it, and it has a hemped tenon which fits into
      the Chanter stock. The piece acts as a built in reed protector when
      the Chanter is removed...
      The world of SmallPipes is going super-high-tech! Check these
      puppies out if you haven't already done so.

      Iechyd Da,
      High Desert Piper

      --
      Serving coffee on aircraft causes turbulence.
    • Andrew Michael MacTao
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 1, 2004
        Kurt wrote:
        >These are indeed the answers I need. I really can't afford to go for
        >hundreds of dollars for *another* fine set of pipes, even if they're
        >just poly - I just got my first set! But for travel, pakis sound
        >like a good option.
        >
        >So, the obvious next question is how to tie this together. Is eBay
        >really the best source for them? And I know I've read a million
        >times in here about Clanrye reeds but I still don't know where I'd
        >find them... Thanks again!

        EBay can be tricky. Mid-East Paki-Pipes are sort of known for the
        Royal Stewart bag cover & some folks look for that. But recently,
        some eBay sellers have been putting Royal Stewart bag covers on the
        Cheapie-Cheap Paki-Pipes, which normally come with a Black Watch bag
        cover.
        If ThumpMusic is still selling on eBay. Their Pipes are Mid-East
        Pipes. If not, they have them on their website for the same price as
        their "Buy It Now" option on eBay... About $150 for Rosewood & about
        $170 for Cocus wood.
        On their website, <http://www.thumpmusic.com> click on the "World
        Music" link on the left. That will open up a list of links below it.
        Click on "Wind" under "World Music". You'll need to scroll through a
        couple pages to find their Bagpipes. They have fullsize Pipes in
        Rosewood, Cocus wood and African Blackwood. And also halfsize and
        practice Pipes in Rosewood and Cocus wood.

        A few things to look for if you prefer to buy on eBay, to make
        sure you're getting Mid-East Pipes & not the cheapie-cheaps:
        1. You want nickel ferules, not chrome ferules.
        2. Look to see it has a nickel sole plate, not plastic. (imitation ivory)

        There is a 3rd manufacturer of Paki-Pipes that uses brass ferules
        & ring caps, similar to the 1/2 size & practice pipes at
        thumpmusic.com. I haven't tried those. But, I've heard reports that
        they're pretty decent.

        The cheapie-cheaps can be set up. And they will play. But,
        Mid-East's are only $50 more, and you get nearly triple the quality.

        <http://www.hotpipes.com> tends to have the best prices on Clanrye
        reeds. The price has recently gone up to $44. But, even at that
        price, it's still more cost effective than cane reeds over the
        internet. Cane reeds by internet yields a pretty high failure rate.
        If a Clanrye fails, you can return it for a replacement. And they
        last a lot longer than cane.

        Let me know what you end up with. And, if you have any problems
        getting them set up, don't hesitate to ask.

        Iechyd Da,
        High Desert Piper

        --
        Serving coffee on aircraft causes turbulence.
      • nakedpiper2000
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 1, 2004
          For those looking for a paki pipes source, how about Sialkot, Pakistan?

          Here's the letter that one sent to use somewhat earlier:

          We are one of the worlds largest and finest makers exporters
          of Scottish or Highland Bagpipes, Irish War and Brian Boru
          Bagpipes, Miniature, Chamber or Parlour Bagpipes, Goose Sets,
          Minipipes or Toy Bagpipes, Bagpipes Cases, Pipe Chanters,
          Practice Chanters, Reeds and Drones, Drums, Bags, Badges, Covers
          and Cords, Scottish and Irish Dirks, Sgian Dubhs, Bugles, Flutes,
          Trumpets, Clarinets, Banners, Dress Cords, Bugle Cords, Waist and
          Cross Belts, Glengarries, Balmorals, Kitchener Pith Helmets,
          Feather Hackles, Spats, Sporrans, Pipe Band Uniform Equipment,
          Doublets, Tunics or Jackets, Drum Major Maces, Sashes, Guantlets,
          Scottish, Irish and Masonic Jewllery and many more products.
          Ask for free export catalogue with worlds lowest prices,
          giving full postal address. Full satisfaction warranty with
          money back guaranty.

          Regards
          Shehzad Deura

          SHEHZAD DEURA & CO
          PIPE BAND INSTRUMENTS MAKERS
          8 COMMISSIONER ROAD
          SIALKOT 51310 - PAKISTAN
          HELLO : 0092 - 432 - 580743
          FAX : 0092 - 432 - 596486
          E-mail : deura@...
        • Kurt
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 1, 2004
            Ha! No, not quiet drummers, but the GHB can really kick it out.

            A year ago the punk rock band The Real McKenzies came to town. I was just starting with the chanter and a new girlfriend. The pub is a gritty underground dive in downtown Detroit, but she was game...

            The band came out, all in kilts, and started screaming into the mikes. It was loud as all hell. I'm not much of a punk fan, and she didn't look too sure. Second song follows right on the first, but suddenly the piper stepped up to the front, and blew all of those guitars away. Needless to say, he was unmiked, that is, unamplified, but you could clearly him him over the band. For his solos, he turned so the chanter was open to the audience!

            My favorite part - he tossed most of a beer down every time there was a break in his playing.

            I think it's good to see the full range of piping, and this was not exactly Amazing Grace in the cemetery. He made it look like a blast! They call it "bagpipe-fueled rock and roll".

            Anyway, the drummers I was talking about play in circles of 6-20, and pipes would sail over the top quite clearly.

            Kurt
            Detroit - the Paris of the Great Lakes
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 1, 2004
              Andrew (and everyone)

              Thumpmusic.com has this:
              Fullsize Black Rosewood Bagpipe. Black rosewood. Royal Stewart Tartan cover, with turned nickeled ferrules & sole. Includes 2 sets of reeds, 1 set of rubber stoppers, seasoning, and hemp. Made in Pakistan. $159.

              Just as you say. There's a link at the top of each page for Bagpipes, though, so that part was easy. Thanks for all of the help!

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • Emmet Bondurant
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 2, 2004
                Mine are Mid-East Mfg. chalice-topped rosewood. All they really
                needed was a decent set of reeds, a flapper valve for the blowstick,
                and some chanter tape. They're my "boat pipes" which I take sailing
                with me; places where I'd be too worried about my McCallums to truly
                enjoy them (like 9/11 a couple of years ago; my McCallums were brand
                spanking new, and it rained a monsoon all day). While they're
                certainly not in the same league as a set of Dunbar P3's, they're not
                in the same price range, either.

                They're made of heavy, dense, honest-to-God rosewood, smooth turned
                and varnished with cast and machined (not stamped) brass fittings, a
                good hide bag (still tight), and a chanter that tunes to a low Bb;
                about 470 Hz (currently with a Meg-Ross). I polished the drone bores,
                rehemped them properly, installed a set of Shepherd SM-90 reeds,
                faced the blowstick valve seat and installed a rubber flapper valve.
                Although I've pretty much given up polishing the brass, with a second-
                hand silk cord they're not unattractive; I've had several people
                mistake them for a set of chalice-topped Kintails, and express
                genuine surprise to hear that they're Paki's.
              • jsnelsonone
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 2, 2004
                  I recently bought a set of Mid-East Pipes which are sold by Hobgoblin
                  here in the UK.
                  These weren't the Chalice type but the standard rosewood set but I
                  think from your description the Chanters are the same, made of much
                  denser wood then the Drones.
                  They cost £180 and represent extremely good value for money.
                  I actually bought them to make a concert A set using a polipenco A
                  Chanter, as I know that the Drones are happy tuning to A 440.
                  The chanter actually plays about 40 cents sharp of concert A with a
                  Warnock Reed.
                  The finish is good, the bores are smooth the chanter needed very
                  little tape.
                  I re-tied the chanter stock to get a bit more length seasoned the bag
                  and Bobs your uncle one set of functioning GHP with the Reeds it came
                  with!!
                  These Pipes are imported by a company called Gremlin and I think they
                  do deals for bulk purchasing.
                  TTFN
                  PP
                • Andrew Michael MacTao
                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 2, 2004
                    Emmet wrote:
                    >Mine are Mid-East Mfg. chalice-topped rosewood. All they really
                    >needed was a decent set of reeds, a flapper valve for the blowstick,
                    >and some chanter tape.....
                    >
                    >They're made of heavy, dense, honest-to-God rosewood, smooth turned
                    >and varnished with cast and machined (not stamped) brass fittings, a
                    >good hide bag (still tight), and a chanter that tunes to a low Bb;
                    >about 470 Hz (currently with a Meg-Ross).....

                    I went to thumpmusic.com's website yesterday, to verify that the
                    links I provided for Kurt were still in the same place. And, as Kurt
                    mentioned, they now have a handy link at the top of every page, that
                    takes you directly to their Bagpipes, without having to sift through
                    all the other pages of wind instruments...
                    They have had Chalice-Top, brass fittings, Pipes of the
                    "Miniature" and "Half-size" design for a while. I noticed yesterday,
                    that they now also have "Fullsize" Pipes in the Chalice-Top design.

                    By the by, Pipes with the convex shaped bells and smooth finish on
                    the drones are called, "Chalice-Top"... Is there a name for the
                    concave shaped bell with beading and combing that is found on all
                    other Pipes?

                    The "Miniature" Pipes are obviously "Parlour Pipes". As is evident
                    by the photo, they have a practice chanter rather than a Pipe Chanter
                    on them. What isn't obvious in the photo, they probably also have
                    smaller drones and drone reeds, so as to not drown out the chanter.
                    I'm curious if anyone knows the story behind the "Half Size"
                    Pipes? They obviously have a Pipe Chanter on them. But, the drones
                    are shorter than "Full Size" Are they "D" pitched Pipes? Or, do they
                    use a smaller bore on the drones to keep them at "Bb", even with the
                    shorter length?
                    If the latter is true, this might be a good choice for someone who
                    does a lot of backpacking... Inexpensive, to minimize the fear of
                    breakage. Shorter drones, to make them easier to tote about... And
                    the same design and manufacturer as Emmet's Paki's, so you have the
                    word of a non-Paki-Guru, that they're a decent instrument for the
                    money.

                    Iechyd Da,
                    High Desert Piper

                    --
                    While your friend holds you affectionately by both your hands you are
                    safe, for you can watch both of his.
                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 2, 2004
                      I think the half size Pipes are what FCN sell as 3/4 size or Reel
                      Pipes.
                      I have 4 sets I bought many years ago which I am just getting round
                      to setting up, now I make my own Drone reeds.
                      They are in the same Key as Full size Pipes and sound good.
                      For many years I had a set that I could tune to A 440 and play at
                      sessions as they are relatively quite.
                      The Chanter was really difficult to reed and eventually I ran out of
                      reeds that would work.
                      TTFN
                      John S
                    • Emmet Bondurant
                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 2, 2004
                        "By the by, Pipes with the convex shaped bells and smooth finish on
                        the drones are called, "Chalice-Top"... Is there a name for the
                        concave shaped bell with beading and combing that is found on all
                        other Pipes?"

                        "Military pattern" (as in British MOD), with big projecting mounts.
                      • Kurt
                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 2, 2004
                          Could you guys please describe this in more detail? I hate to be dense, but I don't get it!

                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 2, 2004
                            Kurt wrote:
                            >Could you guys please describe this in more detail? I hate to be
                            >dense, but I don't get it!

                            Re:
                            > "By the by, Pipes with the convex shaped bells and smooth finish on
                            > the drones are called, "Chalice-Top"... Is there a name for the
                            > concave shaped bell with beading and combing that is found on all
                            > other Pipes?"
                            >
                            > "Military pattern" (as in British MOD), with big projecting mounts.

                            Dunbar P-1 Pipes, and the Rosewood Pipes on thumpmusic.com, with
                            the brass ferules are "Chalice-Top" design.
                            Just about everything else is "Military Pattern"... Dunbar P-2's &
                            P-3's, Gillander and McCleods, McCallums, Dunfions, Hendersons, even
                            the Rosewood Paki's with the nickel ferules are all "Military Pattern"

                            The inner bore of the drone pipes flare out into a cone shape at
                            the end, then it is reduced to a smaller opening by the ring cap. If
                            you look close at the photos of various Pipes, you'll see that the
                            top end of the drone pipes are larger than the rest of the drone
                            pipe, to accommodate the conical internal flare.
                            Ancient style, or "Chalice Top" Pipes have a convex curve to the
                            outer flare, making it look like a Chalice. On modern or "Military"
                            design Pipes, the large end comes down straight, then has a concave
                            curve to it, as it tapers down to the size of the rest of the drone
                            section.

                            Also, "Chalice Top" Pipes tend to have smooth sides on the drone
                            pipes. "Military Pattern" Pipes have fine grooves turned into the
                            outside of the drone pipes, in groups of half dozen or so, with with
                            spacing between the groups of grooves. This is "Combing and beading."

                            Iechyd Da,
                            High Desert Piper

                            --
                            It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a
                            warning to others.
                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 2, 2004
                              Check out my pipes in my (PiobBear) folder in the 'Photos' section;
                              my McCallums are military pattern pipes (as are 95% of the pipes you
                              see at Highland games or pipe band parades), while my Paki's are
                              archaic chalice-tops.