DIY seasoning recipes

  • Renaud (Ron) Olgiati
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 24, 2012
      To let you know I have updated my page of DIY seasoning recipes.

      http://www.olgiati-in-paraguay.org/seasoning.html

      And to cheer you all up, a short story that happened to me this week-end:

      Ever since I have been piping, whether it was for a wedding, a funeral, a
      commercial event,I have never asked to be paid, but always told the person who
      organized the piper that a cheque made out to my Church would be agreeable, if
      they really wanted to give me something; cheque goes to church treasurer, who
      thanks the giver, all nice and tidy-like.

      By the way, the cheques I have gathered over the years have always turned out
      to be for more than what I would have asked..

      Some months back, disaster ! I had been piping for a dinner of the Free
      Masons, and the newly installed Anglican bishop of Paraguay ruled that the
      Church cannot accept money from that source ! As luck would have it, this time
      I had been given cash in an envelope, the bishop's ruling had come after the
      treasurer had already tendered our thanks, and it was a simple matter to slip
      the money in the Sunday collection without His Grace being any the wiser.

      In recent weeks I have been piping for a whisky importer, going several times
      for three days to the other end of Paraguay to the biggest supermarket in
      South America (Shopping China, in Pedro Juan Caballero) and the person
      responsible for the publicity called me yesterday, a bit sheepishly, to ask if
      the Church could abstain from thanking the customer, as they did not want it
      to be known they had given to the Church !

      What a strange reversal; I could maybe understand a church being embarrassed
      by a gift from the Masons, especially so if it was the church of Rome, but a
      spirits importer embarrassed by a letter of thanks from a church ?

      Cheers,

      Ron.
      --
      Democracy is a government
      where you can say what you think

    • Jori Chisholm
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 17, 2012
        Recently I've been seasoning my hide bag with 100% pure glycerine. It works very well. It accomplishes everything we need from bag seasoning: 1. seals the bag 2. keeps the leather soft 3. attracts moisture from the bag.

        And it's cheap compared to buying seasoning.

        http://www.amazon.com/Solutions-Glycerine-Vegetable-16-Fluid-Ounces/dp/B0019LWU2K/ref=sr_1_2?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1345225271&sr=1-2&keywords=glycerine+food+grade

        Jori

        =====================================
        Jori Chisholm
        jori@...
        http://www.BagpipeLessons.com
        skype & ichat: bagpipelessons
        studio: http://bagpipelessons.com/studio
        blog: http://bagpipelessons.blogspot.com
        twitter: http://twitter.com/bagpipelessons
        facebook: http://facebook.com/BagpipeLessons
        =====================================

        Learn how to blow your pipes like a pro!
        http://www.BagpipeGauge.com
      • Renaud (Ron) Olgiati
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 17, 2012
          On Friday 17 Aug 2012 13:42 my mailbox was graced by a message from Jori
          Chisholm who wrote:
          > Recently I've been seasoning my hide bag with 100% pure glycerine. It
          > works very well. It accomplishes everything we need from bag seasoning:
          > 1. seals the bag 2. keeps the leather soft 3. attracts moisture from
          > the bag.
          > And it's cheap compared to buying seasoning.
          > http://www.amazon.com/Solutions-Glycerine-Vegetable-16-Fluid-Ounces/dp/B001
          > 9LWU2K/ref=sr_1_2?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1345225271&sr=1-2&keywords=glycerine+fo
          > od+grade

          OTOH, it will not make stitches holes airtight; which is why I had to add some
          gelatine to the recipe.
          http://www.olgiati-in-paraguay.org/seasoning

          But I agree that the home-brew seasoning is a damn sight cheaper !

          Cheers,

          Ron.
          --
          The national budget must be balanced.