Re: throaty reed

  • pipemehome
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 19, 2006
      --- In bagpipers2@yahoogroups.com, kilpatrickbill <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > i've got a new, throaty sounding, synthetic reed - mainly in the lower
      > register. sounds like a duck-call. i've been gradually sanding back
      > the upper half to make it more fine - which improved the sound at
      > first but not much since. when i push air very hard into the bag
      > (purple in the face, flirting with stroke, fabulous ...)it sounds
      > perfect but blowing normally produces this call of the wild.
      >
      > any suggestions?
      >
      > - bill

      yup i agree throw it out and get a cane reed. id suggest you start
      with an easy reed. the dvd "pipes ready" may help. if you are blowing
      till you are purple, youre playing your pipe wrong. squeeze to make
      music, blow to keep bag full. get a tutor to learn ya this stuff. good
      luck!!
    • LM
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 19, 2006
        I agree... throw away the plastic reed! Buy yourself a good "soft" can chanter reed and with a little moisture and some "blowing in" you should be quite pleased. I personally prefer Sheperd and Warnock reeds. Good luck!

        Liam

        Gary Krueger <garytherev@...> wrote:
        Yep. Throw it out and get a cane chanter reed.

        Synthetic...what's it made of?

        kilpatrickbill <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
        i've got a new, throaty sounding, synthetic reed - mainly in the lower
        register. sounds like a duck-call. i've been gradually sanding back
        the upper half to make it more fine - which improved the sound at
        first but not much since. when i push air very hard into the bag
        (purple in the face, flirting with stroke, fabulous ...)it sounds
        perfect but blowing normally produces this call of the wild.

        any suggestions?

        - bill

      • Just Me
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 19, 2006
          Hi Bill, do you refer to the Clanrye Pipe Reeds? They shouldn't be filed.
          However, the pitch does not seems real compared to a cane reed.

          I have supplies of shepherd reeds - easy and medium. If you need some, let
          me know.

          Cheers,
          Adrian

          >From: LM <kaaber777@...>
          >To: bagpipers2@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [Bagpipers] throaty reed
          >Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 16:51:54 -0700 (PDT)
          >
          >I agree... throw away the plastic reed! Buy yourself a good "soft" can
          >chanter reed and with a little moisture and some "blowing in" you should be
          >quite pleased. I personally prefer Sheperd and Warnock reeds. Good luck!
          >
          > Liam
          >

          >Gary Krueger <garytherev@...> wrote:
          > Yep. Throw it out and get a cane chanter reed.
          >
          >Synthetic...what's it made of?
          >
          >kilpatrickbill <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
          >i've got a new, throaty sounding, synthetic reed - mainly in the lower
          >register. sounds like a duck-call. i've been gradually sanding back
          >the upper half to make it more fine - which improved the sound at
          >first but not much since. when i push air very hard into the bag
          >(purple in the face, flirting with stroke, fabulous ...)it sounds
          >perfect but blowing normally produces this call of the wild.
          >
          >any suggestions?
          >
          >- bill

          Find love on MSN Personals http://personals.msn.com.sg/
        • kilpatrickbill
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 20, 2006
            thanks for those sites. i looked up shepherd - isn't that musette a
            treat! - and saw a plastic chanter reed in the key of "c" as well as
            a traditional reed on offer - which do you suggest?

            having butcherd the first gibson reed that arrived with the pipe and
            been completely flummoxed by the second, i tried the third and last
            and it works beautifully - third time lucky.

            assuming you are within the EU, i may just take you up on that offer
            of a reed. do you have a paypal account? i'd like to wait until my
            gaida arrives first, though. i'm curious to see what it will sound
            like (it was advertised as a "bass - d") with its own single reed
            and also try it with the functioning (yea!) synthetic one i have now.

            i thought busted strings were a problem ... for agitation and grief,
            reeds take the cake.

            - bill

            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 20, 2006
              Bill, what I meant to recommend cane reed for your highland bagpipe

              I am not within the EU. I have a trusted supplier here that can supply you
              and I can ask them to contact you if you can send me a private email so that
              I know your email address.

              regards,
              Adrian

              Get cheap fares online with MSN Travel http://www.msn.com.sg/travel/
            • Kaaber777
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 20, 2006
                Reeds can drive you bonkers. For example, even if you only play Sheperd reeds and have always liked them, you will still have problems getting the "right" reed. Everytime I order reeds I always get at least six or so as only one or two of the reeds will be right. The remaining reeds are then gifted to friends and students. Believe me, one or two good reeds out of six is considered good odds!

                Liam

                thanks for those sites. i looked up shepherd - isn't that musette a
                treat! - and saw a plastic chanter reed in the key of "c" as well as
                a traditional reed on offer - which do you suggest?

                having butcherd the first gibson reed that arrived with the pipe and
                been completely flummoxed by the second, i tried the third and last
                and it works beautifully - third time lucky.

                assuming you are within the EU, i may just take you up on that offer
                of a reed. do you have a paypal account? i'd like to wait until my
                gaida arrives first, though. i'm curious to see what it will sound
                like (it was advertised as a "bass - d") with its own single reed
                and also try it with the functioning (yea!) synthetic one i have now.

                i thought busted strings were a problem ... for agitation and grief,
                reeds take the cake.

                - bill
                _,_._,___

              • kilpatrickbill
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 20, 2006
                  --- In bagpipers2@yahoogroups.com, "Kaaber777" <kaaber777@...> wrote:
                  > Believe me, one or two good reeds out of six is considered good odds!

                  this is not ... good news.

                  does this 2/6 ratio also apply for inexpensive ($25.00 - if i remember
                  correctly - for 6 on ebay US) and expensive (£42.00 for same on ebay
                  UK) reeds or just the ones from shepherds?

                  i thought strings were expensive ...

                  all this adds up to an enormous incentive to learn reed making ...
                  the exact science of.

                  oggling bamboo in the back yard - bill
                • Gary Krueger
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 20, 2006
                    Plastic vs cane... I am beginning to really understand why it has been so difficult to come up with a good plastic chanter reed.... physics.

                    We all know how touchy the GHB is to adjustments in pressure...ie. inside the bag. Everytime you get a new reed, you stand the chance of having to adjust the drone reeds to compensate for the harder (or lighter) blowing of the new cane reed.

                    I suppose they will get a plastic chanter reed that plays well (and lasts a really long time) but the ones that I have heard about (not tried myself yet) don't speak well for their tone and ease of playing.

                    And all this time I thought my high school physics classes were just so I could graduate and fulfill the science requirement. Oh, I understand the process but find it hard to manipulate the process. In other words, I know why it's so hard, I don't know how to change it, except by fidling with the blasted reeds.

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 20, 2006
                      I don't know who is trying to sell you reeds, but in the US, if we pay $12.00 each for a reed, that's a lot. I'd contact this site and see if they can ship to the UK or EU.

                      www.aberdeenbagpipe.com

                      or

                      www.hendersonbagpipe.com

                      They have their website email addy there.

                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 20, 2006
                        Opps, it should have been

                        www.bagpipes-henderson.com

                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 20, 2006
                          Considering that one good reed can last you a year or more with average playing if you purchase six reeds for $35, keep one good reed and toss the rest then the per monthly cost of a good reed is only $2.92. I know that my son definitely goes through a lot more than $2.92 worth of guitar strings in any given month. To me paying $2.92 a month for a year's worth of good sound is pretty inexpensive music making!

                          Liam

                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 20, 2006
                            put like that, i can see it's something of a bargain...

                            ... now let's talk about your giving dud reeds to your students and
                            friends?!? considering the angst i've just experienced with my two
                            defective reeds ... are you sure you're going to heaven?

                            (smile sign) - bill

                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 20, 2006
                              I've been playing for a few decades and therefore probably a bit more selective in my pick of reeds. What I consider a reed of "secondary" quality, most Grade III or lower pipers would be happy to use. When I purchase a batch of reeds I don't hesitate to throw again any stinkers.

                              By the way, leave reed making to the reed makers. The time and effort spent in learning the craft will be better spent mastering the pipes. I've seen too many "pipers" spend too much time fussing and messing with their instruments and accessories rather than focusing on becoming good, technically solid pipers.

                              As far as going to heaven I'm of the "Saved by Grace, not by deeds" contingent.

                              Liam

                              Message 14 of 22 , Jul 20, 2006
                                sound advise ... completely at odds (in my case) with a life time of
                                fiddle-fiddle-fiddle.

                                "grace not deeds ..." hmmmm ... so heaven is "in the bag" so to
                                speak (heh-heh).

                                (heh) - bill

                                wrote:

                                > I've been playing for a few decades and therefore probably a bit
                                more selective in my pick of reeds. What I consider a reed
                                of "secondary" quality, most Grade III or lower pipers would be
                                happy to use. When I purchase a batch of reeds I don't hesitate to
                                throw again any stinkers.

                                > By the way, leave reed making to the reed makers. The time and
                                effort spent in learning the craft will be better spent mastering
                                the pipes. I've seen too many "pipers" spend too much time fussing
                                and messing with their instruments and accessories rather than
                                focusing on becoming good, technically solid pipers.

                                > As far as going to heaven I'm of the "Saved by Grace, not by
                                deeds" contingent.

                                > Liam

                              • Jean Hayes
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jul 22, 2006
                                  It was a lovely street concert yesterday afternoon. Many, many
                                  tourists stopped to chat, ask about the pipes, and all that Scots
                                  Stuff.

                                  One was a tenor drummer from Sarasota who wanted more lessons.

                                  I don't know what bands are in that area, or teachers - especially
                                  drummers, so I'm asking here. I'm not sure where she played before or
                                  where she learned, but I've found that "people from Florida" are
                                  usually from somewhere else. :)

                                  Could you let me know, please, if you're interested in teaching this
                                  lass - or having her in your band.

                                  She's staying here in NC for a while before going back, so I can give
                                  her any info and then she can call when she gets home.

                                  Thanks.

                                  Jean

                                  --
                                • LesMatheson
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jul 22, 2006
                                    A quick Google search turns up:
                                    Jacobites
                                    http://www.jacobitesband.com/fw/main/default.asp

                                    Plus the Sarasota Military Academy band

                                    Plus the Riverview High School Kiltie Band (maybe she's a member here)

                                    Dunedin is North of Tampa, up the road , but might be worth
                                    investigating.

                                    Several Bands in Orlando, not really that far away.

                                    Les

                                    --- In bagpipers2@yahoogroups.com, Jean Hayes <jewelmtn@...> wrote:

                                    > It was a lovely street concert yesterday afternoon. Many, many
                                    > tourists stopped to chat, ask about the pipes, and all that Scots
                                    > Stuff.
                                    >
                                    > One was a tenor drummer from Sarasota who wanted more lessons.
                                    >
                                    > I don't know what bands are in that area, or teachers - especially
                                    > drummers, so I'm asking here. I'm not sure where she played before
                                    or
                                    > where she learned, but I've found that "people from Florida" are
                                    > usually from somewhere else. :)
                                    >
                                    > Could you let me know, please, if you're interested in teaching
                                    this
                                    > lass - or having her in your band.
                                    >
                                    > She's staying here in NC for a while before going back, so I can
                                    give
                                    > her any info and then she can call when she gets home.
                                    >
                                    > Thanks.
                                    >
                                    > Jean
                                    >

                                    > --

                                  • Jean Hayes
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jul 23, 2006
                                      >A quick Google search turns up:....Les

                                      *********************
                                      Thanks for all the suggestions, Les. She did mention that she didn't
                                      want to go to Dunedin, as it was too far. I'm not sure how far that
                                      really is, but she was pretty definite about it.

                                      My bro lives in Palm Harbour, just next to Dunedin, and I have
                                      visited several times. We've been to their monthly concerts in the
                                      park. Very nice.

                                      And I've spent more than one competition playing in front of the good
                                      Mr Sandy ... not so nice. :)

                                      Jean
                                      --
                                    • LesMatheson
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jul 23, 2006
                                        Yes, I suspect Dunedin is a bit of a drive, especially if she is
                                        depending on parents to do it.

                                        Sandy is a tough one, but he can be great. I had him as an instructor
                                        for years at Oberlin (Ohio Scottish Arts School).

                                        Les

                                        --- In bagpipers2@yahoogroups.com, Jean Hayes <jewelmtn@...> wrote:

                                        > >A quick Google search turns up:....Les
                                        >
                                        > *********************
                                        > Thanks for all the suggestions, Les. She did mention that she didn't
                                        > want to go to Dunedin, as it was too far. I'm not sure how far that
                                        > really is, but she was pretty definite about it.
                                        >
                                        > My bro lives in Palm Harbour, just next to Dunedin, and I have
                                        > visited several times. We've been to their monthly concerts in the
                                        > park. Very nice.
                                        >
                                        > And I've spent more than one competition playing in front of the good
                                        > Mr Sandy ... not so nice. :)
                                        >
                                        > Jean
                                        > --

                                      • Hugh P. Boyle
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jul 24, 2006
                                          Hi, I wasn't going to force myself into your bagpipe yahoo group as I am not a bagpiper or drummer. My husband is the piper. Since he isn't here to read this and help, I will try. We live near Fort Myers, Florida and used to live in Sarasota so maybe I can offer a little help...

                                          Roddy MacDonald (top notch bagpipe instructor) lives in Sarasota. Email: GrandAll2@.... He may know of drumming instructors locally.

                                          Local Sarasota bands that I know of are the Riverview Kilties and Sarasota Highlanders. Cassie Calo is the instructor for the Riverview Kilties and she also plays with City of Dunedin Pipe Band (email: debhouston@... ). The Pipe Major for Sarasota Highlanders is Warren MacConnell (email: wgmacconnell@... ) Maybe they can direct you to tenor instructors. (These email addresses are listed on the SUSPBA site)

                                          Our Band is Harp & Thistle Pipe Band. We practice in downtown Fort Myers on Wed. evenings. (about 1-1/2 hrs south) We have a tenor drummer in Punta Gorda (45-50 min south) who is a great teacher and a wonderful person. He might give lessons privately. I can ask him if you are interested.

                                          The best place to get info is at the SUSPBA site (Southern United States Pipe Band Assoc.) On the left side of the website look for "Member Bands" and "Instructor's List". I did see a tenor instructor listed in Tampa. (45-60 min north).
                                          http://www.suspba.org/

                                          If you are a SUSPBA member (or not?), YOU ARE IN LUCK! They are putting on 4 weekends of FREE drumming and piping workshops in Sept. and Oct. all over Florida. Look for that info on the SUSPBA site home page, right upper corner - click on "Workshop News". Contact Sandy Keith or Kathy Faeh to see if there is a fee for non members if that applies to you. On April 1, 2007, Dunedin Highland Games is sponsoring a free piping and drumming workshopDrumming Workshop Jones Bldg 10am -1pm Sunday 4/1/07

                                          If you would like to see an online photo album of our band that I created, use the following hyperlink. In the album called, "Meet the Band", you can see pictures of Chuck, our Tenor Drummer, I was telling you about.

                                          http://htpb.smugmug.com/

                                          Lessons in Dunedin would be great if you can swing it. My husband travels every Sunday to Orlando for practice and that is about 4 hours from here. Yes, he has piper's disease! He's going to Scotland Aug. 2 to compete in the worlds for the first time. So let's all wish him luck!

                                          Yes, I suspect Dunedin is a bit of a drive, especially if she is
                                          depending on parents to do it.

                                          Sandy is a tough one, but he can be great. I had him as an instructor
                                          for years at Oberlin (Ohio Scottish Arts School).

                                          Les

                                          --- In bagpipers2@yahoogroups.com, Jean Hayes <jewelmtn@...> wrote:

                                          > >A quick Google search turns up:....Les
                                          >
                                          > *********************
                                          > Thanks for all the suggestions, Les. She did mention that she didn't
                                          > want to go to Dunedin, as it was too far. I'm not sure how far that
                                          > really is, but she was pretty definite about it.
                                          >
                                          > My bro lives in Palm Harbour, just next to Dunedin, and I have
                                          > visited several times. We've been to their monthly concerts in the
                                          > park. Very nice.
                                          >
                                          > And I've spent more than one competition playing in front of the good
                                          > Mr Sandy ... not so nice. :)
                                          >
                                          > Jean
                                          > --

                                        • Jean Hayes
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jul 25, 2006
                                            From: "Hugh P. Boyle" <hboyle@...>

                                            *********
                                            Thanks for all the tips. I'm going to print this out and give it to the lady. (Forget
                                            her name at the moment, and her card is at home.)

                                            Jean
                                            ...with the 3-minute memory. :)

                                            Sent via the WebMail system at email.dnet.net