The Next Enlightenment

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2003

      May I quote from Walt Truett Anderson's' book "The Next
      Enlightenment"[2] (and I am not telling you where in the book I found
      this):

      There is much to learn, and there is also something to learn about
      learning. People have known for a long time that knowledge is power,
      and a lucky few have always understood that knowledge is joy. Now as
      we begin to understand that exploration is not only what we do but
      what we are, we find that knowledge -- the search for knowledge, the
      daring to know -- is also peace.

      We are some of the lucky few, not only to understand that knowledge
      is joy, but also to have Walt Truett Anderson to introduce us to his
      great book at our next Futurist Salon on the 17th of October 7pm
      Barnes and Noble bookstore at the Hillsdale Shopping Center just
      across of the Hillsdale Caltrain Station. 11 West Hillsdale Blvd.,
      San Mateo, CA 94403 650-341-5560 (Map:http://tinyurl.com/o2n3)[3]

      In his book he gives a short introduction to the history of
      Enlightenment with chapters about Kant , Hume, Darwin, Freud, Jung
      and the Existentialists Sartre and Simone de Beauvoir. Then he writes
      about the more recent enlightenment events, like the 60s Flower Power
      movement. The great thing is, he grew up in the Bay Area and
      experienced it as a young journalist and author. (Which, no doubt we
      will quiz him about on the 17th.) He also writes about the growing
      influence of Eastern philosophy on the western thinkers, with one of
      the focal points being the Esalen Institute[4] in Big Sur. (Which is
      high on my list of places to stay, just once)

      This is how far I read and the first of three parts of the book. In
      the next chapters he is exploring some areas of science: Physics,
      cosmology, brain research as well as psychology: Cognition,
      constructivision and adult development. He claims, that findings in
      these areas are converging to a new worldview.

      In the last almost 100 pages of the book he brings it all together,
      or so I hope :-) to lead us to the next Enlightenment. This is
      really exciting. Darn, still 17 days to go.

      See you all there, Mark.
      [1]Weblog post with links: http://finnern.com/future/2003/09/30.html
      [2]http://tinyurl.com/p9u4
      [3]http://tinyurl.com/o2n3