Gregory Stock on TechTV

  • wayne radinsky
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 12, 2002
      Gregory Stock was interviewed on TechTV last night. I'll
      summarize the interview since most of you probably missed
      it :) Stock looks like a skinny guy with white hair and he
      was very lively and cheerful through the whole interview.
      He talked about redesigning humans, which he said would be
      an *inevitable* offshoot of medicine that we want, and he
      is a strong proponent of it. He said we would change many
      things like retarding ageing. He was asked if people accuse
      him of "playing God" and he said "of course we play god --
      you could make the same argument about antibiotics" He was
      asked if it would become all about "cosmetics", kids with
      blue eyes and blonde hair, and he said that's a very minor
      thing, your kids will dye their hair green anyway. He
      talked about we use pharmaceuticals to alter our
      consciousness like illegal drugs, but if we can get rid of
      the side effect with bioengineering, it would be much more
      seductive. He was asked whether "authorities ever allow
      this [genetic engineering] to happen?" Stock said there is
      no way government can stop this from happening. He said
      it's just like how they criminalize all sorts of drugs but
      that doesn't stop their use, just drives them underground,
      reserves them for the wealthy. He was asked whether genetic
      engineering would be just for wealthy people and he said
      Bill Gates would be able to do "almost nothing" compared
      with a modest income person in 25 years. He said in fact
      the wealthy will be the guinea pigs for the rest of
      society. When asked about the 25-year timeframe, he said
      that embryo screening, disease screening is happening now,
      personality screening coming soon, and a few generations
      for full genetic engineering.

      Online discussion at
      http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/showtell/story/0,24330,3387500,00.html

      http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com