Smart Mobs change the outcome of elections ...

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 3, 2003

      At a grill party last weekend we talked about Smartmobs. There were
      voices saying: "Yes, with cell phones everybody is connected, but
      does it really change anything?"

      I knew about the South Korean elections. Jean Min wrote an excellent
      account of that event at SmartMobs[2].

      But what about the US? Is there something going on here? The election
      is still over a year away, but what about the primaries? I first
      stumbled over a weblog post of Jon Lebkowsky[3] who is openly
      contemplating to work for the Howard Dean campaign. One of the
      chapters in his upcoming book Virtual Bonfire is about nodal politics
      [4] which he claims Howard Dean needs if he wants to win.

      He links to the Dean.com[5] article, which is quite eye opening. The
      guy is really wired, has his own little streaming video site
      HowardDean.tv[6] and his monthly meetup[7] all over the country are
      drawing lots of people: 29.000 have signed up this month. In San
      Francisco they are doing it in three different bars, because so many
      people are coming.

      It is happening this Wednesday the 4th of June. I think you can
      witness history in the making if you go there. I would check it out,
      but i am playing rollerhockey that night.

      If he pulls this one off and wins the primary it would be a major win
      for the democracy.

      I think these elections are going to be very interesting.

      All the best, Mark.
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 3, 2003
        Forgot the links. Sorry.
        Oh well, they are all here: http://finnern.com/future/2003/06/02.html