Emergent democracy ...

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2003

      The book we will cover at our next Futurist Salon is Emergence from
      Steven Johnson.[1]

      How appropriate is then this great article about Emergent democracy
      [2]: "The Second Superpower Rears its Beautiful Head" written by Dr.
      James L. Moore[3] from Harvard Law School.

      The will of the people is the emerging second superpower. I hope he
      is right, or let's work on making it come true.

      See you all Friday in two weeks, on the 18th of April.

      All the best, Mark.

      [1]http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?
      userid=0BB2VY14VW&isbn=0684868768&itm=1
      [2]http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/people/jmoore/secondsuperpower.html
      [3]http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/people/moore.html
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 4, 2003

        This[1] is a really interesting article about how a handful of
        webloggers through pointing to the article I posted about just two
        days ago (See further down) almost totally erased the previous
        meaning of that phrase "Second Superpower", at least if you only
        check the first 30 Google[2] results when you search for it.

        I guess Page Rank has to be adapted/updated.

        Otherwise it is quite dangerous.

        All the best, Mark.

        [1] http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/30087.html
        [2] http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=%
        22Second+Superpower%22&btnG=Google+Search

        --- In bafuture@yahoogroups.com, "markfinnern" <markfinnern@y...>
        wrote:
        > Hi Futurists,
        >
        > The book we will cover at our next Futurist Salon is Emergence from
        > Steven Johnson.[1]
        >
        > How appropriate is then this great article about Emergent democracy
        > [2]: "The Second Superpower Rears its Beautiful Head" written by
        Dr.
        > James L. Moore[3] from Harvard Law School.
        >
        > The will of the people is the emerging second superpower. I hope he
        > is right, or let's work on making it come true.
        >
        > See you all Friday in two weeks, on the 18th of April.
        >
        > All the best, Mark.
        >
        > [1]http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?
        > userid=0BB2VY14VW&isbn=0684868768&itm=1
        > [2]http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/people/jmoore/secondsuperpower.html
        > [3]http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/people/moore.html
      • John Abbe
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 4, 2003
          Background on Emergent Democracy:

          Patrick Tyler article coined "second superpower" in the NYT, Feb 17:
          "...the huge anti-war demonstrations around the world this weekend
          are reminders that there may still be two superpowers on the planet:
          the United States and world public opinion."

          Just in case some folks haven't seen it, here's Joi Ito's paper:
          http://joi.ito.com/static/emergentdemocracy.html

          It, uh, emerged in part from the whole group forming thing:
          http://www.myelin.co.nz/cgi-bin/wcswiki.pl?RidiculouslyEasyGroupForming
          http://www.aquameta.com/gf/drupal/
          http://topicexchange.com/t/group_forming/

          That last link is to Topic Exchange, an idea-made-real that came from
          the group formiing conversation, for aggregating conversations from
          different weblogs into one weblog:
          http://topicexchange.com/

          And just to close the loop, here's the Topic Exchange weblog on
          Emergent Democracy:
          http://topicexchange.com/t/emergent_democracy/

          Life,
          John
          --
          All you /\/\ John Abbe "If you don't like the news,
          need \ / CatHerder go out and make some of your own."
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 4, 2003
            > I guess Page Rank has to be adapted/updated.

            I wonder if there's enough danger to google core business to justify rewriting
            their core baby. After all the majority of the world isn't blogging yet, and
            teh majority of google searches even with this noise, is better or about the
            same as many other search engines I've used with less useful results.

            "He who controls the spice...er search engine, controls the universe"

            another concern with google is given it's dominant position in the search
            world, what happens to people that don't conform to whatever biases, or
            guidelines that Google...or whoever (eventually) controls google decides upon.
            Comply or dissapear. This is especially dangerous for people who's core
            business relies upon net traffic, of which I believe webcrawling/search engines
            is quite high in getting new people to a site(Versus referrals, or
            advertisements). It could be very easy to effectively make one vanish from the
            world, as a query which filters just out the majority to focus on a few key
            words can just as easily omit as well.

            =====
            Troy Gardner http://www.troyworks.com

            "How you live your seconds, is how you live your days, is how you live your life..."