Are we there yet ...

  • markfinnern <markfinnern@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2003

      Here an event that looks interesting, although we have to wait two
      months until it is happening. Well, you can already mark your
      calendars:

      Are We There Yet? A Look at Technology and Where We Expected to be by
      Now.

      If you like to look back and see what 10 years ago people where
      thinking the present would look like, this event is for you.

      SPECIAL PRESENTATION: MONDAY, APRIL 7, 2003 "Are We There Yet?
      7:00 p.m. Open to the Public. No Fee.
      Location: Cypress Semiconductor, 198 Champion Court, Building 6, San
      Jose

      In collaboration with the Silicon Valley Web Guild, the World
      Internet Center would like to invite you to a special presentation by
      Dr. Bob Glass, Fellow of the Center, on Monday, April 7, 2003, at
      7:00 p.m. in San Jose.

      The topic will be: Are We There Yet? A Look at Technology and Where
      We Expected to be by Now.

      In 1992, "Dr. Bob" and his team at Sun Microsystems embarked on
      trying to envision the future with the hopes of trying to figure out
      where technology was headed. Two years later, "Starfire" - a Vision
      of the future was released. Starfire was a look at the world of 2004
      (from the vantage point of 1992-1994) and an attempt to create
      a "video prototype." The team felt that by creating a short video,
      the user experience of a corporate customer could be better
      developed. At the time the film was developed and released (1992-
      1994), there was no common knowledge of the Internet or widespread
      use of email, yet these items are forecasted in the film.

      Join Dr. Bob as he takes a glance at the future through the past. The
      film is 25 minutes in length and offers an amusing peek at where we
      should be by now... Are we there yet? This special presentation will
      be held at Cypress Semiconductor, 198 Champion Court, Building 6, San
      Jose, CA 95134. There is no fee for attending. However, the favor of
      a reply would be most appreciated.

      To register in advance, please contact Ms. Claire Kahrobaie, Manager,
      Client Services at: mailto:kahrobaie@... We look
      forward to welcoming you to this interesting look back into the
      future!

      All the best, Mark.
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 7, 2003

        The wait is over. This Wednesday April 9th 7pm (I guess they moved
        the date from the time I first posted about it):

        "Are We There Yet? A Look at Technology and Where We Expected to be
        by Now."

        To watch a movie that was done 10 years ago, to project how
        technology would change life in 10 years, and to be there now is
        endlessly fascinating to me. More details further down.

        The event is happening at the Cypress Semiconductor, 198 Champion
        Court, Building 6, San Jose

        See you all there, Mark.

        --- In bafuture@yahoogroups.com, "markfinnern <markfinnern@y...>"