100 Monkeys revisited ...

  • markfinnern <markfinnern@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2003

      I very much like the relaxed dinner after our Salon. The talk at the
      table usually goes from here to there and back, and always
      interesting.

      Last time I mentioned a story that I heard and only now had the time
      to research.[2]

      It goes like this: Scientists observed a colony of monkeys on an
      island that learn a behavior (to wash a sandy sweet potato before
      eating it). One ape trains the next and the legend has it that once a
      certain threshold is reached (~100 monkeys) all in a sudden all apes
      of the colony wash their potatoes before eating them. Not only that,
      but from that day onward even a monkey colony one island over also
      knows to wash sandy potatoes before eating. So the claim is that some
      brain syncing has gone on.

      Wouldn't that be nice? Shortcut to world peace: We only need to
      convince enough people to take us over the threshold, probably a
      couple more then 100 but for sure just around the corner, and boom
      enlightenment and peace for the whole world.

      If this sounds esoteric to you, well it is.

      Someone checked the original notes of the scientist who did the
      observation.[2] He does not mention a threshold and there were some
      old geezer apes around that would not change their habit at all. May
      be they needed the sand to digest :-) who knows.

      Bummer, would have been so nice.

      All the best, Mark.
      [1] Weblog post with links: http://finnern.com/future/2003/01/31.html
      [2] http://www.wowzone.com/monkey.htm