Future Salon with guest speaker Howard Rheingold April 11th 2012 6:00 - 8:00 PM

  • n_ac
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 30, 2012
      Hi everyone,

      I’m proud to announce that Howard Rheingold will be joining us
      for a Future Salon event in SAP Labs Palo Alto. Please fill out our
      Google form if you’re interested in attending:
      https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dFMzUWhaRTdJRHNxRzV\
      Kai05bTFXb0E6MQ
      <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dFMzUWhaRTdJRHNxRz\
      VKai05bTFXb0E6MQ>

      Howard will talk about his new book, “Net Smart” and how
      we can use digital media so that they help us become empowered
      participants rather than passive consumers? In Net Smart, Howard will
      show us how to use social media intelligently, humanely, and, above all,
      mindfully.

      We plan to purchase 20 of his books so he can sign them for the
      attendees that decide to buy them. Please indicate if you’re
      interested in buying one so I can order additional ones before the
      event.

      You can learn more about his book by viewing the books webpage and
      viewing Howard's short video: http://rheingold.com/netsmart

      Please feel free to share this invite with others but note that space
      will be limited.

      More on Howard’s new book: “Net Smart”

      Mindful use of digital media means thinking about what we are doing,
      cultivating an ongoing inner inquiry into how we want to spend our time.
      I outline five fundamental digital literacies, online skills that will
      help us do this: attention, participation, collaboration, critical
      consumption of information (or “crap detection”), and
      network smarts. I explain how attention works, and how we can use our
      attention to focus on the tiny relevant portion of the incoming tsunami
      of information. I describe the quality of participation that empowers
      the best of the bloggers, netizens, tweeters, and other online community
      participants; I examine how successful online collaborative enterprises
      contribute new knowledge to the world in new ways; and I present a
      lesson on networks and network building.

      There is a bigger social issue at work in digital literacy, one that
      goes beyond personal empowerment. If we combine our efforts wisely, it
      could produce a more thoughtful society: countless small acts like
      publishing a Web page or sharing a link could add up to a public good
      that enriches everybody.

      I hope to see you there!

      Aslan.

    • Kevin D. Keck
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 10, 2012
        Just a little reminder of the Future Salon with Howard Rheingold
        tomorrow evening, at 6pm PDT (GMT-7). And for those who can't make it
        in person (like myself), here's the link for the webcast:

        https://t.co/9PmznLev

        Thanks again to Aslan for picking up the ball and getting the Future
        Salon rolling again!

        Original announcement with full details:
        http://www.futuresalon.org/2012/04/net-smart-future-salon-with-howard-rheingold-april-11.html