RE: [bafuture] Celebrate Future Day via the Open Mike Future Salon

  • Natasha Vita-More
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 25, 2012
      Here is a link to the website:
      http://humanityplus.org/news-events/humanity-events/ and
      http://futureday.org/
      http://www.singularityweblog.com/do-we-need-to-have-a-future-day/

      <http://www.natasha.cc/> Natasha Vita-More
      PhD Researcher, Univ. of Plymouth, UK
      Chairman, Humanity+

      Co-Editor, The Transhumanist Reader

      From: bafuture@yahoogroups.com [mailto:bafuture@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
      Of markfinnern
      Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2012 5:37 PM
      To: bafuture@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [bafuture] Celebrate Future Day via the Open Mike Future Salon

      Hi Futurists,

      Blog post with links: http://goo.gl/yjfk0

      With all of our holidays we celebrate the past. Ben Goertzel had the
      brilliant idea to celebrate the Future by making the 1st of March Future
      Day.

      Future Day is designed to center the impossible in the public mind once a
      year as a temptation too delicious to resist.- Howard Bloom

      1st of Mark aka Future Day is coming up next Thursday. Luck will have it
      that I am in town. So let's celebrate Future Day with an Open Mike Future
      Salon.

      It has the following simple format:

      You have 5 minutes to introduce a theme that you feel passionate about and
      that you believe will shape our future.
      Right after there will be 5 minutes for a lively Q&A.
      If the engagement in the room is high we may extend the Q&A time by another
      5 minutes.
      I love this format, as people come up with ideas that are sometimes not
      fully baked yet, no book has been published and the brain power in the room
      really helps to develop the idea further and sometimes that dialog results
      in the idea going into a totally different direction.

      I will talk about Maker Lab School / Tinker School as I call them right now,
      haven't found the right name yet for the idea to let our children solve real
      world problems in school.

      There will be a white board for you to put down your idea on Thursday
      evening. If you can fill out the following form with your idea already, it
      will help us with our planning. It guarantees you a spot in the lineup too.

      Hope you have time and join Aslan and me this Thursday 1st of March at SAP
      Labs in Palo Alto. There will be Coffee & Tea and Soft Drinks, we have not
      secured funding for catering yet, so we may not have the amazing finger
      food, beer and wine that we enjoyed all these years. The beauty is, that you
      can bring some if you like and it may lead us to wrap up earlier to continue
      the discussion at Pizza My Heart. Some say that is the best part of the
      Future Salon anyway.

      Spread the word. Join us Open Mike Future Salons 6:00pm to 8pm Future Day
      1st of March. Afterwards the dialog will continue at Pizza My Heart on
      University Avenue in Palo Alto.

      SAP Labs North America, Building 1, Room: to be announced. There will be
      signs. SAP is located at 3410 Hillview Avenue, Palo Alto, CA 94304[map].
      Free and open to the public.

      If you can't join in person, please join the webcast and online discussion
      at https://sap.na.pgiconnect.com/fs/ (We will relay your online questions to
      the speakers.)

      Really excited and looking forward to see all of you there, Mark.