another talk about sharing and transportation

  • Alison Chaiken
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 29, 2010
      Come to SRI as we welcome Café Scientifique speaker:

      BALAJI PRABHAKAR, PhD
      Associate Professor, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
      Stanford University

      Topic – “It Pays to Do the Right Thing”

      Date: *Wednesday*, November 10, 2010 from 6:00 - 7:30 p.m.
      Location: SRI Menlo Park (Middlefield Road at Ringwood Ave.)

      Please note:
      > Doors will open at 5:15 – don’t be late!
      > Do not park at SRI’s main entrance (333 Ravenswood)
      > Directions at http://www.cafescisv.org/sridirections.html

      For directions, video links and more, visit us on the web
      ------------------- www.cafescisv.org -------------------

      (NOTE: this cafe will occur on a Wednesday)

      The term “societal networks” probably makes most people think about
      Facebook. For Stanford Professor Balaji Prabhakar, the term applies
      to a broad range of human activities that are vital for a society’s
      functioning. Transportation networks, electricity grids, healthcare
      networks, and recycling systems are examples.

      Prabhakar is interested in human behavior and efficiency within these
      systems. At the November Café, he will discuss incentive mechanisms
      in societal networks, the role technology will play in improving
      efficiency, and his own experiments aimed at reducing road congestion.

      Prabhakar is a faculty member in the Departments of Electrical
      Engineering and Computer Science at Stanford University. He has been
      a Terman Fellow at Stanford University and a Fellow of the Alfred P.
      Sloan Foundation. He has received the CAREER award from the U.S.
      National Science Foundation, the Erlang Prize, and the Rollo Davidson
      Prize.

      Café Scientifique events are open to all free of charge. No
      reservations are necessary. For more information please visit our web
      site: www.cafescisv.org. Check the web for information about future
      and past events, including photos. Feel free to forward this
      announcement to interested friends and colleagues. Sign up here to
      receive announcements.

      Sponsored by ROXRO PHARMA and SRI, Café Scientifique is a place where
      anyone can come to explore the latest ideas in science and technology
      and debate science issues outside a traditional academic context. We
      meet monthly to discuss a variety of science topics. Feel free to
      forward this message to anyone you think could be interested.

      Coffee, tea and biscotti will be complimentary, provided by SRI -
      Bring your own mug if you wish to avoid using disposable cups.

      Courtesy of Kepler's there will be a drawing for a $30 gift card for
      books or merchandise at Kepler's on El Camino Real in Menlo Park.
      Those who choose to enter the drawing will have their names added to
      the Kepler's mailing list. Special thanks to Kepler's for supporting
      Cafe Sci.

      --
      Alison Chaiken
      (650) 279-5600  (cell)