Open Innovation Future Salon with Ideation Challange

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2010

      Blog post with links:
      http://www.futuresalon.org/2010/07/open-innovation-future-salon.html

      Please join us for a special interactive Future Salon: Open Innovation and the Future of Organizations on Wednesday the 11th of August 6pm to 9pm at SAP Labs in Palo Alto. Space is limited to 75 in person. Therefore please RSVP: http://bit.ly/aqSWVi

      If you can't be there in person, we will webcast and have at least one online team collaborating around ideas. New webcast URL: https://sap.na.pgiconnect.com/fs/

      We start off with an introduction to the current status and future of open innovation by Founder and CEO of DiscoveryCast Cesar Castro (See: Abstract further down.)

      Mark Finnern will introduce SAP's newly developed ideation platform: Idea Place http://ideas.sap.com which we will use for the interactive part of the Salon the Ideation Challenge.

      Open PCAST is an online space for the public to give idea feedback to the PCAST team (Details further down). At the Future Salon we are looking for ideas to solve the following problem:

      Ideation Challenge: You are elected to the PCAST advisory board. You have access to up to $500 million in Federal Funding and the ability to propose new investments, legislation, executive orders, or other actions. What is the most important thing you can advise the federal government to do or try to stimulate U.S. innovation, economic productivity or jobs in nanotech, biotech, or infotech (the technology "golden triangle") within the next three years (Obama's re-election horizon)?

      We'd like you to think about this Ideation Question over the next days and come to the Salon with a few rough ideas to be discussed among your future-interested colleagues. Bring your laptop to participate in Idea Space. We have already created the 3 areas we want to focus on: Infotech, Biotech, and Nanotech.

      We will form teams of 4-6 at the Salon. These groups can be around a particular science topic (Nanotech, Biotech, Infotech) or solution topic (Education, Competitiveness, Immigration Reform, etc.). Each team will have ~30 mins to generate/refine a couple of idea(s). You will post your Ideation Group ideas into the Idea Place during the Salon.

      We will then instruct everyone on how to judge the submitted ideas and will do a round of commenting and voting on the suggested ideas. We hope to find volunteers that will post the Future Salon's top ranked ideas to Open PCAST http://pcast.ideascale.com/ after the Salon. We will end the evening with a critique of the process and our outcome.

      This should be a fun and productive exercise in applied ideation for innovation. We really hope you can join us!

      Abstract: This talk will provide an update of what open innovation means today (beyond it's roots in R&D and product development). Open innovation will be presented in the context of leveraging external networks to help your organization thrive and succeed. Topics covered in this talk include: Open Innovation Strategies, How To Prepare for The New Innovation Paradigm, Innovation in an Increasingly Collaborative Environment, Managing Confidentiality / Intellectual Property, Getting Started: Developing a Global Innovation Strategy and Examples / Case Studies of companies that are successfully deploying these strategies. This lecture will provide concrete examples and key takeaways of how open innovation is helping companies today.

      The President's Council of Advisors on Science and Technology (PCAST) is an advisory group of the nation's leading scientists and engineers, formed in April 2010, to advise the President and Vice President and formulate policy in the many areas where understanding of science, technology, and innovation is key to strengthening our economy and forming policy that works for the American people. President Barack Obama said, "PCAST represents leaders from many scientific disciplines who will bring a diversity of experience and views. I will charge them with advising me about national strategies to nurture and sustain a culture of scientific innovation." PCAST is co-chaired by John Holdren, Assistant to the President for Science and Technology and Director of the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy; Eric Lander, Director of the Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard and one of the principal leaders of the Human Genome Project; and Harold Varmus, President and CEO of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, former head of the National Institutes of Health and a Nobel laureate.

      Cesar Castro Bio

      Cesar Castro is Founder and CEO of DiscoveryCast, a company that has developed an online collaborative brainstorming platform. He founded DiscoveryCast based on his experience in innovation, crowdsourcing, and corporate social networking. He is also an adjunct professor at the University of San Francisco School of Business, where he lectures in the area of innovation and changing the corporate culture to embrace new innovation models.

      He is a former Research Director at the Institute For The Future (IFTF) where he led the Signtific Project, the Institute's study of the future of science and technology. Before joining IFTF, Cesar served as Vice President of Business Development at InnoCentive from 2001 - 2006, one of the leading open innovation platforms. As VP Business Development, he was responsible for recruiting innovative companies from around the world to join and post their R&D challenges on the InnoCentive platform. He worked with organizations in the life sciences, defense, manufacturing, food, and chemical sectors. He also worked at the Industrial Research Institute, Shell Chemical Company, and MBA Polymers (a Bay Area clean-tech company).

      Cesar has conducted projects on the future of science and technology, open innovation, crowdsourcing strategies for corporations, and network-centric innovation. He has written forecasts and given speeches on open innovation in heath care, the future of science and technology, trends in global health, and using networks (and crowdsourcing) to enhance innovation practices.

      He holds a B.S. in Chemistry from Loyola College in Maryland and an M.S. in Macromolecular Science from Case Western Reserve University. He can be reached via email at cesar@... or via his blog (http://openinno.wordpress.com/).

      SAP Labs North America, Building 1, Room: Southern Cross. SAP is located at 3410 Hillview Avenue, Palo Alto, CA 94304[map]. Free and open to the public.

      This is going to be really interesting. Hope you can join in person or online.

      See you all there, Mark.