Reality Mining Future Salon: Understanding Information Flow In The Mobile Corp.

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 8, 2010

      blog post with links:
      http://www.futuresalon.org/2010/03/reality-mining-future-salon-understanding-information-flow-in-the-mobile-corporation.html

      Please join us on Thursday 25th of March for Mining Future Salon: Understanding Information Flow In The Mobile Corporation with MIT Professor Sandy Pentland. Please RSVP http://bit.ly/amkhve

      Abstract: Mobile phones, laptops, and other digital devices form a network of sensors, recording their user's location, time, who else is nearby, as well communication patterns. We can `reality mine' this data to better understand and predict human behavior within the corporation, and improve coordination, job satisfaction, and productivity. In more than a dozen case studies we have found that this `reality mining' approach to management often uncovers dramatic possibilities for improvement in both job satisfaction and productivity, by allowing more effective combination of face-to-face and digital communications.

      Of course there is the flip side to this development: George Oswell's 1984 constant supervision nightmare finally arriving. We the Future Salon audience is known for our interesting questions and dialog during the Future Salon. Therefore it is going to be a super interesting evening, not to be missed.
      Alex (Sandy) Pentland Toshiba Professor of Media Arts and Sciences

      Massachusetts Institute of Technology Professor Alex ("Sandy") Pentland is a pioneer in organizational engineering, mobile information systems, and computational social science. Sandy's focus is the development of human-centered technology, and the creation of ventures that take this technology into the real world. He directs the Human Dynamics Lab, helping companies to become more productive and creative through organizational engineering, and the Media Lab Entrepreneurship Program, which helps translate cutting-edge technology into real-world impact around the world. He is among the most-cited computer scientists in the world, and in 1997 /Newsweek/ magazine named him one of the 100 Americans likely to shape this century.

      SAP Labs North America, Building D, COIL (Co-Innovation Lab). SAP is located at 3410 Hillview Avenue, Palo Alto, CA 94304[ map ]. Free and open to the public. Please spread the word and invite others, but be sure to RSVP http://bit.ly/amkhve so we know how many people to expect.

      We will do our best to webcast the event again via Ustream.tv on the Future Salon Channel: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/Future-Salon

      Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/futuresalon
      Follow all twittering Future Salon speakers: http://twitter.com/futuresalon/futuresalonspeakers.

      See you all there, Mark.