Re: Future Salon Does Politics

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 5 10:55 AM
      Hi Dave,

      Sorry that you feel my invitation was doing politics. I guess my frustration about the supreme court ruling, that in my eyes worsen one of our biggest problems of money in politics, made me look at who is doing something to change the situation and linked to Lawrence Lessig.

      The good news is, that the February Future Salon on the 25th is about Activating Consciousness in Corporations therefore non political.

      By the way we had a Future Salon around politics in 2004:
      The Tao of Extreme Democracy
      http://www.futuresalon.org/2004/09/if_you_check_am.html
      We were exploring what is possible with the new capabilities that we have.

      If Lawrence Lessig presents at a Future Salon in the spring, we are open to have a descending voice heard at it too.

      Please send me a suggestion and we will make it happen.

      You are running for congress, citizen-funded elections may actually benefit you and your campaign. Check Lessig's article in The Nation: http://www.thenation.com/doc/20100222/lessig

      All the best, Mark.

      P.S. Follow us on twitter http://twitter.com/futuresalon

      --- In bafuture@yahoogroups.com, Dave <dave@...> wrote:

      > At 06:22 2/5/2010, you wrote:
      >
      > >We had many great Future Salons over the years, so I
      > >don't post this lightly. You have to come to this one
      > >on Thursday 25th of February 6-9pm at SAP Labs in
      > >Palo Alto as it will be the most important
      > >Future Salon ever.
      > >
      > >The supreme court decision Citizens United v.
      > >Federal Election Commission gave corporation
      > >unlimited spending power to influence our democracy.
      > >
      > >Lawrence Lessig with Change Congress First! is fighting
      > >to get legislation passed for public financing of elections.
      > >Check out his latest video. He is also calling for a
      > >convention. There is a chance that he will present
      > >at a Future Salon in the spring too.
      >

      > Dear Mark,
      >
      > I'm not sure what to make of this. One the one hand,
      > we have come to love and rely on Future Salon for high
      > quality presentations on technology and culture, and I am
      > not sure that politics fits into its ambit.
      >
      > On the other hand, I am running for Congress myself and
      > am not really in a position to criticize others.
      >
      > Perhaps the best way to think about this is just to
      > say that Politics has apparently become Fashionable.
      >

      > Best Regards,
      > -Dave Chapman

      > www.davechapmanforcongress.com

    • Miguel F. Aznar
      Message 2 of 5 , May 7, 2010
        Trimtabs for systemic change Future Salon Wednesday May 26th Please RSVP
        <http://bit.ly/fstrimtab> http://bit.ly/fstrimtab

        Mark Finnern offered me, Miguel F. Aznar, a chance to host the Future Salon
        because I met someone (speaking at the May 1 BIL conference @ UCSC) whose
        ideas call for a Future Salon. Join us Wednesday, May 26, to listen and
        share. Dino Karabeg, professor of informatics at University of Oslo,
        describes his presentation this way:

        "When we shift focus from symptoms of systemic dysfunction to systemic
        change, an uncommonly rich and inspiring action space becomes available.
        'Trimtabs for systemic change' are acts that are small enough to be
        feasible, which can add up to make our civilization change course and guide
        us along a new and different direction of progress.

        "In this talk I will present eight prototype trimtabs in key ares including
        corporate business, informing, scientific research, education and design.
        Those examples have been developed at the University of Oslo with external
        collaborators during the past fifteen years and implemented in practice in
        varying degrees. Part of the presentation will focus on a strategy for
        worldview and value change. This twenty five-minute lecture will set a stage
        for further development of these ideas through dialogue."

        We catch him the evening before he returns to Oslo, so don't miss this
        salon.

        Dino Karabeg <http://folk.uio.no/dino/> has been at the University of Oslo
        since 1992, where he is a professor in the Institute of Informatics. See
        more information: Invitation
        <http://knowledgefederation.project.ifi.uio.no/KF2010_CallforAbstracts.pdf>
        to Self-Organizing Collective Mind workshop, Knowledge
        <http://heim.ifi.uio.no/%7Edino/ID/Misc/ElevatorPitches.pdf> Federation
        Elevator Pitches, blog Holoscope
        <http://polyscopy.wordpress.com/2010/01/07/holoscope-for-the-buckminster-ful
        ler-challenge/> for the Buckminster Fuller Challenge, blog Trimtabs
        <http://polyscopy.wordpress.com/2009/11/07/trimtabs-for-systemic-change/>
        for systemic change, and introduction
        <http://folk.uio.no/dino/IDBook/Introduction.pdf> to book manuscript.

        Future Salons have the following structure: 6-7pm is networking with light
        refreshments proudly sponsored by SAP; 7-9+pm is the presentation followed
        by questions and discussion. Please RSVP <http://bit.ly/fstrimtab>
        http://bit.ly/fstrimtab

        SAP Labs North America, Building D, COIL (Co-Innovation Lab). SAP is located
        at 3410 Hillview Avenue, Palo Alto, CA 94304[map
        <http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=3410+Hillview+Ave,+Palo+Alto,+CA+94
        304&sll=37.573154,-122.338858&sspn=0.007347,0.014291&layer=&ie=UTF8&om=1&ll=
        37.404528,-122.145138&spn=0.028977,0.058365&z=14&iwloc=addr> ]. Free and
        open to the public. Please spread the word and invite others, but be sure to
        RSVP so we know how many people to expect.

        Miguel

        Miguel F. Aznar

        Executive Director

        KnowledgeContext

        www.KnowledgeContext.org <http://www.knowledgecontext.org/>

        (831) 440-8558

        Blog: http://knowledgecontext.blogspot.com/

        Message 3 of 5 , May 11, 2010

          Future Salon's tag line is: Creating a world that works for all.
          Looking at the current world turmoil (currently unfortunately: turmOIL)
          , we may get discouraged and think our action do not make a difference.

          This is why I am excited about this month's Future Salon. Dino
          Karabeg will introduce us to Trimtabs:

          > 'Trimtabs for systemic change' are acts that are small enough to be
          > feasible, which can add up to make our civilization change course and
          guide
          > us along a new and different direction of progress.

          Please join us Wednesday May 26th RSVP <http://bit.ly/fstrimtab>
          http://bit.ly/fstrimtab <http://bit.ly/fstrimtab>

          See you all there, Mark.