Take Flight for Kids August 8 - Reid Hillview
- There's a great free festival going on this weekend at Reid Hillview
From: dean@... [mailto:dean@...]
Take Flight for Kids is a hugely popular flying festival series at
Northern California airports. We recruit up to 100 volunteer pilots of
small airplanes and helicopters, and provide free flights for about
750-1000 young people with disabilities, at risk youth, homeless kids,
foster kids, etc. Most of the kids get to take controls of the plane
during their 30 minute flights, to experience the empowerment of being
in absolute control of a complex flying machine.
We host simultaneous huge festivals at the airports, with 4000-5000
attendees expected to enjoy a big day of hands on fun. The emphasis is
on hands accessible activities & STEM science/tech/engineering/math,
with a kids-fly-free component added. Since the event is absolutely
free, we expect big crowds to join us, making this the biggest
aviation-based STEM science/technology/engineering/math festival in the
Yup, everything is FREE to all attendees, all volunteers, and all
nonprofits/vendors get FREE BOOTH SPACE! Free admission, free parking,
free BBQ at noon, free airplane rides to kids 8-17 years old (must be
pre-registered online), free live entertainment, petting zoos, hot air
balloon rides, helicopters, radio controlled aircraft, model rockets,
science experiments, games, rides, fun, fun, FUN! The sky is pretty
much the limit in this fun-est festival in the Bay Area!
For more info, check the website: http://www.takeflightforkids.com
* 209 booth hosts are officially registered. WOW that's a lot!
* A whopping 540 young people with special needs and family/friends are
signed up for free flights.
* 79 degrees, slight breeze, PERFECT weather!!!
* 3 awesome live bands are lined up for the day.
* 11 entertainment groups are signed on.
* San Jose Mayor Chuck Reed is CONFIRMED
* Assemblymember Jim Beall is CONFIRMED
* Numerous San Jose Councilmembers are CONFIRMED
* Santa Clara Board of Supervisors Dave Cortese is a personal sponsor
* County estimates are for 3000-5000 festival attendees, maybe more!
* We just ordered 4000 hamburger/hotdogs for the massive FREE BBQ at
I hope you can join us on August 8!
Take Flight for Kids, etc
RAFFLE ITEMS. We're looking for raffle item to help us cover expenses.
THANKS!!!! If you have not committed to a raffle item, please consider
doing so. Bring all raffle items to the event on Saturday and we'll
sort them and get them displayed.
RIBBON CUTTING at 9AM in the 'White' field at the main stage. Do NOT
miss that if you can help it!!! Most of the politicians in town will be
there, we have an awesome young girl singing Star Spangled Banner, it'll
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]