Steve Omohundro @ City College of SF on Thurs March 19

  • saint_sicarii
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 17, 2009
      Thursday March 19, at 3:00pm, Steven Omohundro PhD. will give a talk
      entitled Evolution, Artificial Intelligence and the Future of Humanity
      in Room 305 of the Rosenberg Library at City College of San Francisco
      <http://ccsf.edu> 50 Phelan Ave
      <http://maps.google.com/maps?client=safari&rls=en&q=city%20college%20of%\
      20SF&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wl> (The Rosenberg Library
      is the 3 story white building next to the Track & Field)

      Evolution, Artificial Intelligence, and the Future of Humanity
      by Steve Omohundro, Ph.D.

      This is a remarkable time in human history! We are simultaneously in the
      midst of major breakthroughs in biology, neuroscience, artificial
      intelligence, evolutionary psychology, nanotechnology and fundamental
      physics. These breakthroughs are dramatically changing our understanding
      of ourselves and the nature of human society. In this talk we'll look
      back at how we got to where we are and forward to where we're going. Von
      Neumann's analysis of rational economic behavior provides the framework
      for understanding biological evolution, social evolution, and artificial
      intelligence. Competition forced creatures to become more rational. This
      guided their allocation of resources, their models of the world, and the
      way they chose which actions to take. Cooperative interactions gave
      evolution a direction and caused organelles to join into eukaryotic
      cells, cells to join into multi-cellular organisms, and organisms to
      join into hives, tribes, and countries. Each new level of organization
      required mechanisms that fostered cooperation at lower levels. Human
      morality and ethics arose from the relation between the individual and
      the group. The pressures toward rational economic behavior also apply to
      technological systems. Because artificial intelligences will be able to
      modify themselves directly, they will self-improve toward rationality
      much more quickly than biological organisms. We can shape their future
      behavior by carefully choosing their utility functions. And by carefully
      designing a new social contract, we can hope to create a future that
      supports our most precious human values and leads to a more productive
      and cooperative society.

      The talk is free, but seating is limited.

      Any questions may be directed to Matthew Bailey (matthew_bailey@...
      or saint_sicarii@...)

      Thanks