FIRST Robotics (Mar 11-14) needs volunteer signups now! Also website judges (online)

  • Elise Engelhardt
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 10 4:57 PM
      Hello all! I'm writing to ask for your help.
      I'm working on getting together the approximately 100 volunteers we need
      to put on the FIRST Robotics Competition for high school kids which is
      coming up mid-March. We need a lot of volunteers of all ages and
      talents (both technical and non-technical) to run the competition. We
      cannot hold the competitions without our volunteers! I need to get the
      volunteers in place now so we are ready for March. If you think you may
      be able to help - whether just any one or all days (or even only online)
      - please sign up now! I *really* need more volunteers, especially in
      these positions:

      Crowd Control - Friday and Saturday especially
      Website Evaluator - this happens online before the competition so you
      don't have to be there or you can do both this and another volunteer
      position
      Field Assembly - Wednesday (3/11) afternoon
      Field Repair/Reset
      Official Scorer
      Robot Inspectors - Thursday (3/12)<---- technical people needed

      Please sign up online if you have some time to help and tell your
      friends. It's lots of fun! Also, the competition is open to spectators
      so tell your friends to come and watch. It's at San Jose State
      University Event Center. Sign up at: https://my.usfirst.org/vims/

      PLEASE NOTE: Make *SURE* you select the "Silicon Valley Regional" on the
      Volunteer Preferences page, otherwise I won't be able to see you in the
      system! Forward this to anyone interested- whatever their background
      (college students, retired, anyone who can help!).

      Training will be supplied by FIRST either at the time of the event, by
      conference call, or on-line. Breakfast and lunch will be provided each
      day.

      Volunteers will receive a **complimentary FIRST T-shirt** to be worn
      on-site at all times when they are volunteering, and can worn with
      casual wear such as blue jeans or khakis and comfortable closed toe
      shoes. The volunteer T-shirts will be available on-site when you first
      arrive to work the event.

      Hope to see you there!
      Elise Engelhardt
      <mailto:engelhardte@...> engelhardte@...
      408-360-0669

      What is the FIRST Robotics Competition?

      FIRST Robotics Competition (FRC) is a unique varsity sport of the mind
      designed to help high-school-aged young people discover how interesting
      and rewarding the life of engineers and researchers can be. The FIRST
      Robotics Competition challenges teams of young people and their mentors
      to solve a common problem in a six-week timeframe using a standard "kit
      of parts" and a common set of rules. Teams build robots from the parts
      and enter them in competitions designed by Dean Kamen, Dr. Woodie
      Flowers, and a committee of engineers and other professionals. FIRST
      redefines winning for these students because they are rewarded for
      excellence in design, demonstrated team spirit, gracious professionalism
      and maturity, and the ability to overcome obstacles. Scoring the most
      points is a secondary goal. Winning means building partnerships that
      last.

      This competition is the largest high school event of its kind developing
      critical skills in science and technology in a super-charged learning
      atmosphere. FIRST competitions (all ages) involve 53,000 teachers,
      mentors and engineers. The FIRST Robotics competition for high school
      age has with more than 42,000 students and nearly 1700 teams across the
      country competing in 40 regional competitions.

      Students work with engineer mentors to design, build and test a robot
      developed as a solution to a competition problem provided by FIRST. The
      robots compete in an area requiring the teams to strategize and build
      offensive and defensive capabilities into their design. Students acquire
      skills such as problem solving, project management, critical thinking
      and teamwork: skills necessary to their future and the future of
      society.

      If you think you may be able to volunteer for the FIRST Robotics
      Competition, please sign up right away in FIRST's Volunteer Information
      and Matching System (VIMS). To access VIMS go to
      <https://my.usfirst.org/vims/> https://my.usfirst.org/vims/ PLEASE
      NOTE: Make *SURE* you select the "Silicon Valley Regional" on the
      Volunteer Preferences page, otherwise I won't be able to see you in the
      system! If you are a new volunteer, click on the red star to the lower
      left which says "Sign me up!" Proceed as directed. (If you experience
      problems registering or have additional questions, please contact
      <mailto:volunteer@...> volunteer@... ) You will then
      receive a follow up from me and a confirmation email from FIRST. You may
      also contact me directly at <mailto:engelhardte@...>
      engelhardte@... or call me at 408-360-0669

      Please pass this email along to anyone you think may be interested in
      volunteering. It is an exciting, fast-moving, rewarding event. One you
      will remember for a lifetime!