Will we drive more once we have Robocars?

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2009
      Happy New Year Futurists,

      Weblog post with links:
      http://www.futuresalon.org/2008/12/will-driving-explode-with-robocars.html

      This question and more will be answered at our next Future Salon on
      Friday the 16th of January (Please RSVP: http://budurl.com/ched) by
      experts that have thought about these things a lot longer than I have.

      Brad Templeton and Eric Boyd. See the original invitation:
      http://www.futuresalon.org/2008/12/transportation-future-salon-friday-16th-january-2009.html

      Here are my thoughts, why we will drive more: As I wrote before I
      can't wait to have my car drive me where I want to go. What a relief
      that will be. --- Thinking about it, it may be too much relief. Once
      the drudgery of long distance driving is taken out of the equation, I
      am happy to drive even further.

      Birthday party by my buddy in Seattle this Saturday? No problem.
      Friday night hop in my robocar and arrive Saturday morning relative
      well rested, can even help him with the preperations, party all night,
      hang out on Sunday and drive back through the night again. Perfect.

      Similar with commuting. Everyone having a car enabled the urban
      sprawl, created Suburbia. Robocars will make it possible to live even
      further away from your place of work.

      We better step on the gas pedal regarding renewable energy.

      It is going to be interesting Friday in a week at the Transportation
      Future Salon at SAP in Palo Alto.

      See you all there, Mark.

      P.S. For people that can't be there in person, we will stream the
      event again via ustream.tv if technology doesn't let us down ;-)
      http://www.ustream.tv/channel/future-salon