Transportation Future Salon Friday 16th January 2009

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 19, 2008

      Blog post with links:
      http://www.futuresalon.org/2008/12/transportation-future-salon-friday-16th-january-2009.html

      Two weeks ago I was getting the hell out of California, too fast for
      the Highway Patrol, they gave me a big ticket. Now I am even more
      motivated to get Robocars off the ground ASAP. I think the first step
      will be that you drive the car to the freeway and it is taking over
      from there until you have to get off. How sweet would that have been
      on our 5.5 hour drive to Jacksonville Oregon? Think about it, you can
      take a nap, play video games, watch a movie, all while your car is
      fighting traffic up highway 5 for you.

      How much more relaxed and without big ticket would you arrive? Come
      and find out at the Transportation Future Salon on Friday the 16th of
      January. Please RSVP. http://budurl.com/xnrj

      To clue us in what really is in the pipeline regarding robocars we
      have the following two excellent experts:

      BradportBrad Templeton a Future Salon regular and man of many
      interests has lately focused on Robocars.

      Abstract: Thanks to DARPA sponsored contests, robot cars are no longer
      science fiction; they're coming in 1-2 decades. Their implications
      are quite remarkable -- and not just for transportation, where they
      can offer a mere saving of millions of lives, billions of hours and
      trillions of dollars. Robocars can change how we live and work,
      change our cities, change manufacturing, housing. Crucially in
      today's world, they also have the potential to make serious inroads on
      our energy and emissions problems. The talk will discuss the merits
      and downsides of robocars, potential paths to get there, roadblocks
      along the way and what the world of robocars will be like.

      You may remember Eric Boyd, also a Future Salon regular. who presented
      his passion the Automotive X Prize at our Open Mike Future Salon.
      Having the focus on transportation this months I asked him to give us
      a half hour update on where we stand from his perspective.

      If you search for automotive x prize his blog X Prize Cars is right
      after the Wikipedia entry, that shows how valued his opinion is around
      that theme.

      Brad Templeton founded and ran ClariNet Communications Corp., the
      first internet-based content company, then sold it to Newsedge
      Corporation in 1997. ClariNet publishes an online electronic newspaper
      delivered for live reading on subscribers machines. He has been active
      in the computer network community since 1979, participated in the
      building and growth of USENET from its earliest days and in 1987 he
      founded and edited rec.humor.funny, the world's most widely read
      computerized conference on that network, and today the world's longest
      running blog. He has been a software company founder, and is the
      author of a dozen packaged microcomputer software products. He is
      chairman of the board of the Electronic Frontier Foundation, the
      leading civil rights advocacy group for cyberspace. He also sits on
      the advisory boards for a few internet startups. Currently he is
      building a new startup to reinvent the phone call. He is also on the
      board of the Foresight Institute (A Nanotech think-tank) and
      BitTorrent, Inc.

      Eric Boyd is not a car nut. He's an efficiency nut. Trained as a
      mechanical engineer, steeped in mathematics, and concerned about
      issues like peak oil, global warming, and the rise and fall of
      civilizations, Eric hopes that the Automotive X Prize will make a
      difference in how our society handles the major challenges which
      confront it.

      Future Salons have the following structure: 6-7pm is networking with
      light refreshments proudly sponsored by SAP; 7-9+pm is the
      presentation followed by questions and discussion.

      SAP Labs North America, Building D, Room Southern Cross or Cafeteria
      depending on number of RSVPs. SAP is located at 3410 Hillview Avenue,
      Palo Alto, CA 94304[map]. Free and open to the public. Please spread
      the word and invite others, but be sure to RSVP http://budurl.com/xnrj
      so we know how many people to expect.

      See you all there, Mark.

      P.S. Happy Holidays and as someone posted in an SAP forum: May the
      next year be better than everyone is expecting ;-)
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 15, 2009

        Little reminder tomorrow Friday Transportation Future Salon with Brad
        Templeton and Eric Boyd:
        http://www.futuresalon.org/2008/12/transportation-future-salon-friday-16th-january-2009.html

        How appropriate with the Detroit Auto Show going on right now:
        http://www.nytimes.com/pages/automobiles/autoshow/index.html

        Not sure if I can make it, but graceful Iveta will host if I am not
        around.

        We will webcast again via Ustream.tv:
        http://www.ustream.tv/channel/future-salon

        Enjoy, Mark.

        --- In bafuture@yahoogroups.com, "markfinnern" <mark.finnern@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > civilizations, Eric hopes that the Automotive X Prize will make a
        > difference in how our society handles the major challenges which
        > confront it.
        >
        > Future Salons have the following structure: 6-7pm is networking with
        > light refreshments proudly sponsored by SAP; 7-9+pm is the
        > presentation followed by questions and discussion.
        >
        > SAP Labs North America, Building D, Room Southern Cross or Cafeteria
        > depending on number of RSVPs. SAP is located at 3410 Hillview Avenue,
        > Palo Alto, CA 94304[map]. Free and open to the public. Please spread
        > the word and invite others, but be sure to RSVP http://budurl.com/xnrj
        > so we know how many people to expect.
        >
        > See you all there, Mark.
        >
        > P.S. Happy Holidays and as someone posted in an SAP forum: May the
        > next year be better than everyone is expecting ;-)

      • Rachel M. Murray
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 16, 2009
          --- In bafuture@yahoogroups.com, "markfinnern" <mark.finnern@...> wrote:

          > Hi Futurists,
          >
          > Little reminder tomorrow Friday Transportation Future Salon with Brad
          > Templeton and Eric Boyd:

          http://www.futuresalon.org/2008/12/transportation-future-salon-friday-16th-january-2009.html

          An incredibly timely topic - looking forward to a good discussion. As
          a related aside, are there any plans for a carpool? I'm in Palo Alto
          and am not sure if I can make it out to SAP via public transit in time
          for the salon.

          Regards,

          Rachel
          sadly trapped in the Bay Area without a car - the horror, the horror.