Green Tomorrows Future Salon Thursday March 27th ...

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 19 1:29 PM

      Blog post with links:
      http://www.futuresalon.org/2008/03/green-tomorrows.html

      Jamais wasn't able to do it last month, this is why we moved it to
      next Thursday 27th 6pm SAP Labs Palo Alto. He wrote me: Yes! Barring
      the zombie plague or meteor strike or military coup, of course.

      World Changing used to be one of my favorite blogs. I would guess who
      wrote the post while reading it. The most insightful ones where always
      written by Jamais Cascio. He moved on to post on his own blog: Open
      the Future. His most famous post is the calculation of the carbon
      footprint of the production and consumption of one cheeseburger.

      He was also one of the first regulars coming to the Future Salon, when
      we were just a couple of people sitting in a circle at the Barnes and
      Noble in San Mateo. After a while the long drive from a bit beyond
      East Bay was to much.

      This is why I am super happy that Jamais will be talking about Green
      Tomorrows at our Future Salon on Thursday the 28th of February.
      Abstract of his talk:

      With global warming and ongoing climate disruption posing a leading
      threat to how the next century unfolds, it's useful to look at the
      implications of how we might choose to respond. Adopting a "scenario
      planning" approach, Jamais Cascio looks at four different possible
      ways we could tackle climate risks -- and the kinds of worlds that
      these choices might create. From geoengineering to distributed power,
      hyper-efficient buildings to reimagined cities, the various possible
      strategies we might employ offer a diversity of complex risks and
      transformative benefits.

      Jamais Cascio writes about the intersection of emerging chnologies
      and cultural transformation, focusing on the importance of long-term,
      systemic thinking. He speaks around the world on issues including the
      global environment, technological transformation, and political
      change. In 2003, Cascio co-founded WorldChanging.com, the
      award-winning website identifying models, tools, and ideas for
      building a "bright green" future. In March, 2006, he started
      OpenTheFuture.com as his online home. Cascio presently serves as a
      research affiliate at the Institute for the Future, as the Director of
      Impacts Analysis for The Center for Responsible Nanotechnology, and as
      a founding fellow at the Institute for Ethics and Emerging Technologies.

      A Future Salon has the following structure: 6-7 networking with light
      refreshments proudly sponsored by SAP. From 7-9+ pm presentation and
      discussion. SAP Labs North America, Building D, Room Southern Cross or
      Cafeteria depending on how many people sign up. SAP is located at 3410
      Hillview Avenue, Palo Alto, CA 94304 map As always free and open to
      the public, spread the news. Please RSVP: http://snurl.com/2252c

      See you all there, Mark.