The Future of the Political Con? Take Back Your Mink...

  • Joschka Fisher
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2, 2007
      from the: "will you respect me in the morning " desk
      of joschka fischer

      I don't know how old you guys are, but I remember
      watching Vivian Blaine play Ms. Adelaine...girlfriend
      of inveterate gambler Nathan Detroit in the broadway
      musical Guys and Dolls - when I was in jr. high
      school.

      The Film version ..Frank Sinatra had the "Nathan
      Detroit" lead and Vivan Blaine ( the voluptuous ) had
      the role tailored to her quiver and sensuous
      curvature...along with that damnable but imitated
      Brooklyn accent. "Poils...I want minks and poils!"

      The song of note is "take back your mink" ( lyrics at
      end of this article.)

      In short she's mad cause ole Nathan gave her minks,
      and furs and gloves and hat etc...and tried to take
      them off her when he got her home! ☺
      She thought is was love…and it was well…4 other
      letters but no hat-trick.

      The inside joke ( to the film version) is, as she and
      other well built women are on the stage singing and
      shaking to the song ..."Take back your mink...take
      back your poils...", they're taking them off
      and in the process inadvertenlty doing a New York
      style strip-tease!

      Till at the end of the song they've come to the
      realization of what they're actually doing and that
      they're next to stark naked - run back pick up the
      clothes covering themselves while yelling…Well
      wouldn't ya?

      …leaving one to wonder…was it the honor or the clothes
      or the devil that made 'em "do it anyway". Oh hell
      what's the difference!

      One look at Silicon Valley women with their shopping
      bags saying Macy's, or Frederick's of Hollywood etc.
      and push-up bras galore and you start to realize Ms.
      Adelaide & her logic is now an industry.

      Then I get an earful of Arnold Schwarzenegger's
      taking off his Right-Wing, & domination-addiction of
      "I vant to be in control not a follower.." clothes to
      become the "Friendly" Jolly Green Giant of California-
      philosophy, and political flsahing essentially as an
      Independent...while using some techniques of
      Bill Clinton, Haley Babour ( another chameleon "snake
      " of he political strip-tease act) et others, in
      convincing the public he's their man of issues not
      party.

      Then I get Hillary Clinton who voted knee-jerk hands
      down for the war in Iraq resolution and now is selling
      herself as a closseted...war dissenter, with religious
      overtones.

      Then I get Michael Bloomberg who switched parties from
      Democratic to Republican to win the New York Mayoral
      election and now is switching again to Independent.
      Some say he's aiming for the White House.

      Well...I'm not gay so thoughts of Bloomberg or the
      Schwartz doing a Vivian Blaine strip-tease imitation
      while singing:

      "take back your "party principles"

      "take back your polls"

      ...is not of my interest,

      ……though damned funny…. (haha and peculiar!)

      but…

      ole Hillary - oscillating and shimmiying ain't bad -
      especially if you have photos of her 20 years ago...

      but achtung!

      Stop the music!

      this ain't about sex or love....

      This is about GETTIN' SCREWED!

      It was former Late Show Host Johnny Carson ( who also
      harboured temporary ambitions towards he California
      Governorship) in several opening monologues in the
      70's quipping about how we should legalize
      prostitution since "they giving ya what the
      politicians have been doing to ya for years...they're[
      the prostitutes ]are just tellin' he truth about what
      you're gonna get.

      So is this the new rap to appeal to the masses for the
      21st century?

      Lyrics to :Take back your mink?

      He bought me the fur mink five winters ago
      And the gown the following fall
      Then the necklace, the bag, the gloves, and the hat,
      That was late '48 I recall
      Then last night in his apartment
      He tried to remove them all
      And I said as I ran down the hall.

      Take back your mink
      Take back your pearls
      What made you think
      That I was one of those girls?
      Take back the gown
      The gloves and the hat
      I may be down
      But I'm not flat as all that.

      I thought that each expensive gift you'd arranged
      Was a token of your esteem
      But when I think of what you want in exchange
      It all seems a horrible dream
      Eek.

      So take back your mink.
      To from whence it came
      And tell them to alter and rise it
      For some other dame

      Take back your mink
      Take back your pearls
      What made you think
      That I was one of those girls?
      I'm screaming:
      Take back the gown
      The gloves and the hat
      I may be down
      But I'm not flat as all that.

      I thought that each expensive gift you'd arranged
      Was a token of your esteem
      But when I think of what you want in exchange
      It all seems a horrible dream
      Eek!

      Take back your mink
      Those old worn out pelts
      And go shorten the sleaves
      For somebody else.

      (interlude)

      Well, wouldn't you?

      Video to some Guys and Dolls excerpts including the
      imfamous: Take back your mink song:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIXAyjRol4Y&mode=related&search=

    • Kennita Watson
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 3, 2007
        What in the world does this have to do with the
        future (besides having the word "Future" in the
        subject line)? Does this list have a moderator
        or not?

        Live long and prosper,
        Kennita