Re: [bafuture] Digest Number 1246

  • Raymond Peck
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 12, 2007
      >>This is called "Pascal's Wager," . . .
      >Except that it's a false dichotomy.

      I remember being about 8 years old when I thought up Pascal's
      Wager for myself (I was brought up "questioning Catholic", which
      is something of an oxymoron these days). Thought I was very clever.

      A few weeks later I realized the fatal flaw:

      Axiom 1: God is omniscient
      Axiom 2: Only *genuine* belief is rewarded by heaven

      Step 1: If you have genuine belief, you would not need to take the wager
      Step 2: Therefore, if you accept Pascal's Wager, you do not have genuine belief

      Result: God knows you cheated on the test, and you go to hell anyway.
      Oops.

      If there is a Hell, surely someone has told Pascal already. ;-)