Future Salon Self-Made is Happiness Self-Played?

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 14, 2007

      Blog post with links:
      http://www.futuresalon.org/2007/03/future_salon_se.html

      My favorite quote from They Might Be Giants is: Music self-played is
      Happiness self-made.

      I think that this is true for the Future Salon too. The one where you
      have been actively involved are the most gratifying.

      Therefore once in an orange Mars we have an Open Mike Future Salon.
      This month the theme is Future of Music and it is going to happen
      Friday the 23rd of March. Please RSVP (http://tinyurl.com/2txsuf)

      Actively involved doesn't mean that you need to prep and present.
      Being an active audience is enough, or you may know someone who has an
      interesting viewpoint on the Future of Music and invite her or him.
      5 easy rules for the Open Mike Future Salon:

      1. Sign up for a slot on the Wiki or when you arrive at the Future
      Salon
      2. We go down the list.
      3. You have 5 minutes for your presentation / music performance
      4. There will be 5 minutes of discussion right after
      5. If the energy in the room is really high the discussion time may
      be extended by 5 minutes once.

      I may talk about what we are loosing by having always perfect
      renditions of music available to us. I don't want to turn back time,
      but I don't think that people are aware of some of the consequences.

      I also like Douglas Hofstadter excellent essay Sounds like Bach, where
      he expresses his sadness now that computers can compose as good as the
      old masters.

      Very curious what else will be presented and discussed.

      If you can't join in person we will Webcast the event: Point your
      Quicktime viewer to the following address: rtsp://207.105.30.90/salon.sdp

      IRC chat as always use the server: irc.freenode.net and the Channel:
      #futuresalon

      Free Wifi is provided by SAP, bring your gadgets and participate in
      the chat with your fellow futurists from around the world.

      A Future Salon has the following structure: 6-7 networking with light
      refreshments proudly sponsored by SAP. From 7-9+ pm presentation and
      discussion. SAP Labs North America, Building D, Room Southern Cross or
      Cafeteria depending on your responds. Please RSVP
      (http://tinyurl.com/2txsuf), 3410 Hillview Avenue, Palo Alto, CA 94304
      [map] As always free and open to the public, spread the news.

      See you all (participate) there, Mark.
    • Wayne Radinsky
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 14, 2007
        Hi everone,

        Since you're going to be discussing music at the next Bay Area Future
        Salon, I thought you all might be interested in these audio clips I
        put together on "The Future Of Music", based on ideas from last
        year's Boulder Future Salon discussion on "The Future of
        Entertainment".

        They are about music in general, not algorithmic music in particular
        (the subject KRS Murthy will talk about). Mark-- are you going to be
        putting a recording of this on the net? I am interested in hearing
        KRS Murthy's explanation because I have never been able to figure out
        what I should be listening for in his music. But I won't be online
        that day. (You can consider this post my "remote participation"
        in the topic...)

        - - - - -

        The rate of stylistic change of music is exponential!

        Here is a short segment from a music appreciation lecture by
        Professor Robert Greenberg from the San Francisco Music Conservatory.

        http://www.zingold.com/files/mp3/greenburg_exponential.mp3

        Notice that he first says "seemingly exponentially", but by the end
        he says the rate of musical change is "indeed" exponential!

        - - -

        If you liked this excerpt of Robert Greenwald's lecture, you can get
        the entire series from The Teaching Company at

        http://www.thegreatcourses.com/ttcx/coursedesclong2.aspx?cid=700

        By the way, I recently heard Gregorian chant very similar to this
        on a Catholic TV station (EWTN TV -- the "Eternal Word TV Network!").
        It's amazing that this music style has managed to continue through
        the centuries to the present day just because "that's how it's always
        been done around here." They used the music as part of their "Ash
        Wednesday" ceremonies.

        - - -

        I bet those 12th century monks could never have imagined chant like
        this ...

        http://www.zingold.com/files/mp3/stairway.mp3

        - - -

        Since music evolves over time, you should be able to tell
        approximately what year a track was made just from the style of
        the music itself.

        So in the "Music Evolution Quiz" you have to guess what year 10
        different tracks were made:

        http://www.zingold.com/files/mp3/music_evo_quiz.mp3

        Actually, only the first half is the quiz, and the second half is
        about "The Future of Music" where I predict the future! (not really,
        I just show some current trends). The whole thing is about a half hour.

        - - -

      • Joschka Fisher
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 20, 2007
          from the "Excuse me, but what does God need with a
          Star Ship" desk of joschka fischer

          The future of music!

          The future of music....?

          The Future of whose and what type music!?

          Are you talking about the Billboard Charts type music
          of "...who sold x number of albums and went platinum
          in the standard categories: rock, pop, country etc.?"

          Billboard Charts:
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billboard_charts
          ...or the ones that proceeded with their art -
          inconsequential of those laurels?

          Are you talking about performers like Madonna, Prince,
          etc. who are more freak shows than music? In short the
          "cheap sell" for market share?

          ..or are you talking about pop stars like Avril
          Lavigne in a Musical "Temper tantrumed teenage
          twit-kid ranting over teenage issues" with every song
          sounding alike and
          who to this very day still doesn't know ( or care )
          who Bob Dylan is?

          Are you talking about international stars who are
          multilingual and made fewer albums than the standard
          American counterparts but they sold multi-orders of
          magnitude greater copies - to areas like Germany,
          Italy, France, Latin America, some former Soviet
          areas, Phillipines. etc....

          Who? Like Lucio Dalla or Laura Paisiani?...or though
          not Latino or Spanish but Middle Eastern: Ofra Haza,
          Cheb Khaled, Rachid Taha, Chietka Remitti ( who not
          only is the oldest women/person in Rai in her 80's but
          at one time appeared and recoreded with Robert Fripp
          and Flea ( some members are now part of the Chilli
          Peppers!)

          Are you talking about forms of music mysterious and
          unknown to Americans such as my favorite: Rai? or
          Tibetan?

          Dadawa: Voices from the Sky ( ok..ok. Actually Dadawa
          are Chinese not Tibetan. Leading to similar
          controversies as Paul Simon had with the Graceland
          Album!)

          Dadawa:
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dadawa

          or the works of a more religious influence such as
          Philippe Rykiel and Lama Gyurme: :Rain of Blessing

          http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/1223748/a/Rain+Of+Blessings:+Vajra+Chants.htm

          or
          Jai Uttal and the Pagan Love Orchestra with support
          from Jazz saxaphonist Don Cherry & a number of others
          at one time associated with the Late John Coltrane

          Shiva Station ( in particular the song "Guru Brahma"
          http://www.jaiuttal.com/htm/albums/shivastfrm.htm

          Jai Uttal
          http://www.jaiuttal.com/main.htm

          Or maybe the late sufi Pakistani and deeply religious
          musician Nurat Fateh Ali Khan?

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nusrat_Fateh_Ali_Khan

          Hint: Check out the song "Mustt mustt"

          Perhaps you mean progressive jazz artists like
          Jean-Luc Ponty who plays jazz violin. Well initially
          in his career but then created blends on synthesizer
          with violin such that it's a whole new genre in sound
          and tempo?

          ..or jazz artists that maintain the art as it was
          created and don't flash, synth or pop it up like the
          jazz you hear now-a-days? I call today's jazz: Jazz
          for the impatient!

          ....or maybe you're talking about the modern day
          British classical conductors or composers who've now
          allowed the saxaphone into the orchestra and are
          writing pieces ( solo and accompaniment ) for them?

          ....or do you mean the Austrians who've as recently as
          2 years ago allowed their 1st women to play in their
          orchestra?

          ...or perhaps you mean how 60's-on rock stars have now
          progressed into acoustic or classical forms of music
          or versions of their albums. Like Paul McCartney,Tina
          Turner,The Eagles, Led Zeppelin.

          I believe Joan Armatradiing's forthcoming album is
          jazz based.
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joan_Armatrading
          http://www.joanarmatrading.com/

          ....Frank Zappa already made that transition years
          ahead of the aging rock crowd.
          Yes... there is a Frank Zappa Orchestra and it's been
          around for a long time!

          London Symphony Orchestra Presents: Zappa
          http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/store/artist/album/0,,208217,00.html

          Frank Zappa
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Zappa

          Frank Zappa: "Jazz from Hell"
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jazz_From_Hell

          Then to really speak of progressives.. what of Mr.
          Peter Gabriel who on his last album established hand
          signal communication with some Bonobo apes to the
          point of "collaborating" on musical works.

          Peter Gabriel:
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Gabriel

          http://www.satyamag.com/may03/edit.html

          ...on some of the tracks he's taught the apes to play
          a certain beat but on others....the ape is making it's
          own music and Gabriel is playing to what's being
          created?

          Perhaps you mean Pulitzer prize winner and Director of
          Jazz at Lincoln Center Mr. Wynton Marsalis?

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wynton_Marsalis#Controversy

          Especially in his deep and laureled participation and
          interpretations in the Classical and Jazz sphere of
          music, the private Lecture-Concerts at Adams House
          Harvard or his attempts to inspire a future jazz
          student ( and also a next generation ) via a series of
          inspirational letters to a young jazz musical student,
          named Anthony, published as "To a Young Jazz Musician.
          "

          I' compare this to the series "Leonard Bernstein at
          Harvard" ( Get the record! I don't believe it was made
          into a cd! circa 1959-1962) Bernstein too...trying to
          influence a future generation.

          ?????

          Do you see what I'm getting at?

          If nothing else these are some of the things to be
          thought about before next "get-2-gether" - well if
          you're serious.

          Perhaps the transitions in music and perspectives of
          Emmy Lou Harris, Laura Nyro or transitions in
          perspectives in Jim Morrison in Europe with the French
          Intellectuals before his death would be a good
          direction to pursue this subject?

          I'm immensely impressed with Laura Pausini and her
          appeal in not just Italian countries but German,
          France, English etc. and it makes me wonder about
          another issue.

          Appeal across countries vs Appeal across generations?
          How does this happen? Shes managed to do both.

          Then too so has Ofra Haza!
          Ofra Haza
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ofra_Haza

          Lucio Dalla
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucio_Dalla

          Reuben Blades:
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rub%C3%A9n_Blades

          Note his immense talent from writing, acting, degree
          Intl Law from Harvard Law etc. He still performs
          either supportive or lead roles and with new, younger
          artists to "Sharpen his skills".
          He also is credited with having written "Maestra
          Vida", which could be considered the first Latin
          American opera!
          You'll also notice his major support work with Sting
          on "Dance with the Missing".

          Paul Mcartney ( as a person I can't stand for reasons
          I won't explain.) However....as a Beatle and as a solo
          performer...his album sales were miserable in Ireland.
          Why? Cause he's a Brit!

          So...he created an album, some 20 years ago entitled
          "Mull of Kintyre" that sold well in Ireland. Well of
          course - it sold no where else...though we managed to
          get a copy in good-ole' Irish dominated Morrstown New
          Jersey.

          He also performs supporting musical roles. He's the
          acoustic guitarist on the new Stevie Wonder album!

          I Know!

          Perhaps you mean politico's like Gilberto Gil
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilberto_Gil

          Arrested by paramilitary and jailed for their
          political writings. Upon release they went to London
          and eventually played with bands like Led Zeppelin and
          Yes (yup! two of my favourites).
          Pay-back is a dog cause now he's the Minister of
          Culture in the Country that formerly made him a
          political prisoner.

          Surely there is room in the discussion of the future
          of music for a large number of musicians (Rai singers
          tend to be the most likely exiled, jailed or tortured!
          ) who've gone through this type transition?

          Think this odd....You ever hear of a band called Duran
          Duran?
          Of course you have. They came up with a lot of very
          very good tunes.
          Ever hear of a Brazilian called Milton Nasciemento?
          No...of course not, eh? Well much like the Brazilian
          in the above paragraph collaborated and played with
          Led Zeppelin and Yes...Milton collaborated with Duran
          Duran

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milton_Nascimento
          http://www.pandora.com/music/artist/9458cd66755f8cdf

          What is it in the appeal that goes across language
          borders?

          Money?

          Joan Armatrading always turned away from
          commercialization just to maintain her
          'Steppenwolf-like" independence…so I'm not entirely
          "buying" money as the root here.

          Appeal across social, generational or other frontiers
          is an interesting but ephemeral topic of study and
          should be included in you "Future of Music" jawboning!

          If you have any doubt...well...I heard bits and pieces
          of Nina Simone when I was younger but I really
          understand now what she's doing.

          I described her to a chess colleague as a f******
          genius, bar non! I was not able to appreciate that at
          a younger age. The intellect, the ear, the patience
          just simply wasn't in me.

          See you at the next conference.

          joschka fischer

          http://fr.answers.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 20, 2007
            Hi Joschka,

            the beauty of the Open Mike Music Future Salon is it's open format.
            As you rightfully point out it can go in all kind of directions.
            Depending on what the people want to talk about.

            My 5 minutes will be about the technology development and the
            influence that it had on music and what will come in the future as in
            technology and it's influence on composition, performance and art.

            Would love to hear your 5 minute Future of Music highlight. It took me
            longer than 5 minutes to read your suggestions, so you may want to
            focus on one of them especially if you include a sound sample 5
            minutes are really short.

            I added your session to the line up on the Wiki:
            http://www.socialtext.net/futuresalon/index.cgi?future_of_music_future_salon
            Hope you don't feel too freely volunteered.

            Really would love to hear your perspective, Mark.

            P.S. The Future Salon is this Friday the 23rd of March at SAP in Palo
            Alto 6pm More details: http://futuresalon.org RSVP here:
            http://tinyurl.com/2txsuf

            --- In bafuture@yahoogroups.com, Joschka Fisher <grabarkowic@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > commercialization just to maintain her
            > 'Steppenwolf-like" independence�so I'm not entirely
            > "buying" money as the root here.
            >
            > Appeal across social, generational or other frontiers
            > is an interesting but ephemeral topic of study and
            > should be included in you "Future of Music" jawboning!
            >
            > If you have any doubt...well...I heard bits and pieces
            > of Nina Simone when I was younger but I really
            > understand now what she's doing.
            >
            > I described her to a chess colleague as a f******
            > genius, bar non! I was not able to appreciate that at
            > a younger age. The intellect, the ear, the patience
            > just simply wasn't in me.
            >

            > See you at the next conference.
            >
            > joschka fischer

            > D�couvrez une nouvelle fa�on d'obtenir des r�ponses � toutes vos
            questions !
            > Profitez des connaissances, des opinions et des exp�riences des
            internautes sur Yahoo! Questions/R�ponses