RE : Re: [bafuture] Microsoft to pay record 1.53BILLION for patent violation on MP3!!!

  • Joschka Fisher
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2007
      from the " How'd you do on the SAT reading
      comprehension section?" desk of joschka fischer

      Oh no, Mr. Mackenzie. Your admonishments towards me
      are seriously misread, mislabeled and misplaced.

      Let me show you why.

      If you aren't new to bafutures then you've read my
      attempts to sway people into concern regarding network
      neutrality appearing some months ago...including my
      sending a letter to Congresswoman Zoe Loftgren and
      trying to get her to speak at bafutures about this
      truly important issue.

      Intro to Net Neutrality:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_neutrality

      I even sent multiple copes of her response to Mark
      Finnerman and may ( I have to check) posted it here on
      bafutures.

      I even posted short articles following where Net
      Neutrality was going in Congress.

      No...I didn't ask for a handout!
      No...I didn't discuss the plight of the homeless in
      Silicon Valley and how recently a lot of them have
      Engineering degrees!
      No.. I didn't ask her for Grey Poupon, either!

      Perhaps it was blocked from posting...:?

      Hey Ho!

      No one even so much as "farted" at my postings on the
      subject matter.

      Well I did get the "What's he complaining about now",
      from a manager at the Apple of a certain number
      consumer's eyes" :)

      Then even longer before that - I made comments and
      talk about "Code", Lawrence Lessig's book on
      cyberspace and how ( in my personal view) the same
      mistake made by Columbia Students re: "The Strawberry
      Statement" and their unique independence from the
      vagaries of police brutality etc. was just as
      misconceiving as the belief that Cyberspace couldn't
      be regulated or "taken-over" or "compromised" by Big
      Business.

      I guess no one got that analogy, either!

      Horror infini! :0

      Plus if you read the 1st 3 paragraphs of the news
      posting below you'd also see that Yes..other
      corporations are potentially involved in this patent
      issue, rendering your concern as not a missed point on
      my part .... but a mute one on yours!

      My joyous dance was that this seems to be one of the
      few times if any that Microsoft got hit with a penalty
      in "near proximal" proportion ( well maybe scale ) to
      their wealth - if only loose cash!

      Perhaps the approximately 2billion to Sun was a
      precedent. I think Sun should have gotten more,
      however.

      Moreover...these guys at the "Gates of Hell" seem to
      get away with violations of a lot of laws.

      Finally? a crackdown or is this just an aberration on
      the map?

      I also (though you cut it off ) posted about how
      Microsoft stole the tcp/ip stack from FreeBSd or Linux
      and put it in a for-sale product ( contrary to
      OpenSource ) and I subtlely speculated whether that's
      another lawsuite waiting to give birth.

      Any IP attorneys or students out there want to try
      this one on for at least a paper if not a class
      -action?

      eeeeeuwweeee babe!
      Won't ya come along and take a Scenic Cruise!

      Please do challenge me for references...

      joschka fischer
      from the "boy who didn't cry wolf" desk

      --- Jonathan Mackenzie <jonathanmackenzie@...> a

      http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/22/AR2007022201144.html?referrer=email

      > > Microsoft Loses Big In MP3 Patent Suit
      > > $1.52 Billion Penalty Could Be Harbinger
      > >
      > > By Alan Sipress
      > > Washington Post Staff Writer
      > > Friday, February 23, 2007; Page D01
      > >

      > > A federal jury in San Diego yesterday ordered
      > > Microsoft to pay $1.52 billion to Alcatel-Lucent
      > for
      > > violating two patents for a technology used by
      > > hundreds of companies that allows users to play
      > > digital music on computers, cellphones and other
      > > portable devices.
      > >
      > > The judgment, which lawyers from both sides called
      > > the
      > > largest patent award ever, raised the prospect
      > that
      > > scores of other companies could now be financially
      > > liable for using the popular MP3 format.
      > >
      > > "Any of the companies that have licensed and
      > > implemented that technology have to have great
      > > concern
      > > about this verdict," said Thomas W. Burt, a
      > > Microsoft
      > > vice president and deputy general counsel.
      > >
      > > Alcatel-Lucent argued that it held the rights to
      > the
      > > technology because it was developed at Bell
      > > Laboratories, which later became part of Lucent.
      > > Alcatel bought Lucent last year. The company
      > > successfully argued that Microsoft infringed on
      > the
      > > patents by including the digital music technology
      > in
      > > its Windows operating system starting in 1998. The
      > > same technology later was used in Microsoft's
      > > Windows
      > > Media Player and is included in the Windows Vista
      > > operating system, which was released to the public
      > > last month
      > >
      > > COMMENTARY:joschka fischer
      > >
      > > Microsoft also "took" the tcp/ip stack from ( I
      > > believe ) FreeBSD and included it in XP and
      > Windows.
      > > Does this mean....?
      > >
      > > eeeeweee! eeeeuuuuweee baby! : 0

      > > Découvrez une nouvelle façon d'obtenir des
      > réponses
      > > à toutes vos questions !
      > > Profitez des connaissances, des opinions et des
      > > expériences des internautes sur Yahoo!
      > > Questions/Réponses
      > > http://fr.answers.yahoo.com

      > Never miss an email again!
      > Yahoo! Toolbar alerts you the instant new Mail
      > arrives.

      http://fr.answers.yahoo.com
    • Adam Glickman
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2007
        Chill,

        Open Source will conquer all! There will need to be major movements to the
        middle, because that is the manner that the current socio-economic structure
        goes. Or there will be super specialization with return based on volume.
        See $100 computer and investor artificial intelligence as boundaries. MS
        will need to be an enabler of all its customers counties GNP or they will be
        sued. The fact is that change for a true lean economy (efficient) can not
        be quick enough. That is Senator’s Gore’s concept and it is not being
        heeded.

        Regards,

        Adam M. Glickman

        InfoMonger of Technology and Culture

        adamglickman@...

        650-520-1207

        Open Connector on Linked In (help me pass 1000 links!, Please)

        http://www.linkedin.com/in/adamg

        There are many way to the same objective, Peace, equality, and fairness!

        This may require: 1. Admission of past injustices, 2. True understanding of
        the others position and 3. Willingness to accept deals even though they may
        not at first appear equal or even supportable from one’s constituency!

        Why were the Jews and the Arabs so closely aligned during most of history
        and why have Current and past Energy Interests been the main factor for
        Colonization! Colon = Shit and products, Synergy = Alignment for the
        greater good.

        Why have the freedom of the pray to All__ and the prayer to Yah___ been so
        closely aligned through the ages…?

        There is freedom through following a respectable system that is Truly
        unbiased.

        In my country we have that also!

        Let’s allow respect and fairness to foster!

        Adam

        Contact me for understandable and fair opinion!

        650-520-1207 cell (don’t worry call!, please)

        Or

        Adamglickman@...

[...]

        <mailto:jonathanmackenzie%40yahoo.com> > a