Santa Cruz Future Salon Sept 8: John Smart on Searching for the Big Picture

  • Miguel F. Aznar
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 25, 2006
      Searching for the Big Picture: Systems Theories of Accelerating Change
      John Smart 7:00 PM, September 8 @ Borders Santa Cruz

      We see accelerating change all around us, but this curious phenomenon,
      and the study of the future in general, is surprisingly neglected by
      the scientific community. What systems models presently exist for
      long-range processes of accelerating change? What might local
      accelerating change "mean" in a universal context? What is the
      paradigm of universal evolutionary development, and how might it help
      us to understand and navigate an era where we find ourselves
      increasingly outcompeted by our ever more intelligent technology? Why
      is the systematic study of accelerating change so valuable, and
      presently so underfunded in science? How can we best change this state
      of affairs?

      We'll begin with a brief slide show tour of important examples of
      accelerating change from universal, biological, human cultural, and
      technological perspectives. We'll introduce a few well known and a few
      unorthodox ideas in acceleration mechanics, and scenarios for a future
      of increasing intelligence amplification (IA) in human society, and
      increasing autonomous intelligence (AI) in global technology. We'll
      leave time for an extensive Q&A and audience discussion on the role of
      both human choice and universal force in our increasingly
      technological world. Bring your inquisitive and skeptical mind!

      Bio: John Smart is president of the Acceleration Studies Foundation
      (http://Accelerating.org) a nonprofit community engaged in outreach,
      education, research, and selected advocacy with respect to communities
      and technologies of accelerating change. He co-produces Accelerating
      Change, a conference of 300 change leaders in the SF Bay Area, and
      edits ASF's free newsletter, Accelerating Times, read by 3,500
      acceleration-aware thinkers around the world. John lives in Los
      Angeles, CA