Re: [bafuture] Gregory Stock at Foresight gathering …

  • Joseph Anderson
    Message 1 of 3 , May 3, 2002
      The link to fybord definition below, was "unplugged", however I found this excerpt:

      "A functional cyborg ( should we call it a fyborg? funorg? fuborg? ) may be defined as a biological organism functionally supplemented with technological extensions. If you do not pay attention, the stream of technological supplements may turn you into a functional cyborg before you notice it. "

      Located on the following link:
      http://www.lucifer.com/~sasha/articles/Cyborgs.html

      So by this definition...Stevie Wonder is extended via keyboard, harmonica and musical notes, not to mention the record contract that got him in prime time.

      Walter Karlos via Moog extending himself with Moog synthesizer & pure sound, however considering his sex change, er, um..... ,well.... I have my limits!

      Then too..Johann Sebastian Bach and Organ, Elie Wiezel extended by Scripture and Ethics...but these folk extend knowlege, species, and understanding, perspective.

      The focus you have here with "fyborgs", "Cyborgs", Brain Implants et other orgasms.. is on "self-ism" and not to extend anything but the vain, purile, overly self-indulgent species, Mr & Ms. Sapiens a la Homo, and extend probably not much further than the illegal block implemented by the US soccer team during the Women's Soccer Playoffs!

      Anyhooo this all seems rather silly..fighting over definitions from side-stage Johnnies..who've never been in an operating room ( from the other side of the scapel, please!) not to mention trying to get silicon integrated with neurons.

      ...not to good for the victim being experimented on or the life form declared by society to be worthy of experimentation on. We'll get back to that next email. ( Via the experiments done on the Chinese by the Japanese during the 40's and some Nazi fun in the labs with P.O.W.'s and the modern day Federalization of Felonies, circa 1997!)

      For the front liners,....read the attached entry from the Journal of Biological Cybernetics (pdf format).
      This gives a SOBER look at where we really are with the integration of Silicon and neurons.

      Moreover, has anyone talked to their local Neurosurgeon, lately? I shamefully admit, I talked to 3 (and worked for one) at Harvard Medical School 12 years ago.
      Extremely high insurance rates. Know why?
      Cause a good neurosurgeon losses 65%+ of his patients!
      Lots leave the field because of these depressing aspects, or so the report went, back in 1990.

      ...No, I didn't say Monkeys
      ...No, I didn't say Snails ( as with the attached article)

      Quotation of Willy Loman: Death of a Salesman:
      "A man isn't a piece of fruit...you don't squeeze out the juice and throw away the peel!"

      Oh..you say by the future we'll have it down to as safe as Laser Eye Surgery.
      Since that last analogy to laser eye surgery...I've found 40 articles on how unsafe it is and the large number of people who can't see well at night, in fog ,suffer glare blinding vision, headaches, migraines and (giggle) need glasses after they have the surgery. So....I'll just say it'll be as safe as all of us THOUGHT laser eye surgery was....?
      http://www.surgicaleyes.com/News.htm
      http://www.surgicaleyes.com/ubboard/Forum27/HTML/000122.html
      http://www.accessatlanta.com/partners/wsbtv/health/lasik_improvements.html

      As for up-2-date, practical look at interfacing (with the Ethics at least in the last paragraph), which is better than most....

      I cite the same URL mentioned below but truncated up 2 levels:
      http://www.eff.org/Net_culture/Cyborg_anthropology/#files
      I'd suggest reading:
      Cyber_modification.article

      identity_privacy_anonymity.faq

      modern_primitives.article

      Last but not least has anyone focused on why a lot of Virtual Reality7 training went down the tube? (Not to mention a certain VR and Computer center that went outta business in downtown Palo Alto?????

      It's called Virtual Reality Sickness:
      U.S. Army Research Institute for the Behavioral and Social Sciences (ARI)
      Link below is a report by the
      http://www.cyberedge.com/4a7a.html
      http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/hu/groups/viserg/9604all.htm
      http://www.agocg.ac.uk/reports/virtual/37/report37.htm
      I keep having these sardonic visions of walking into a cafe much like the one at the beginning of "A Clockwork Orange", we'll call it Starbucks, for the hell of it.

      Lying around are 45-55 bodies on sensory overload trying to "dry-out" as it were, cause their implants have bombarded their sensory neurons with more information than they could handle and neuronal deterioration is setting in. A sort of Senroy Progeira. Along with a kind of sensory "slow down" due to a "plack" type substance building up on neurons and impeding the chemo-electric flow.

      Starbucks in Conjunction with the FDA now serves, for lack of a better word "downers"..along with the normal caffein fix it serves now to the "Nicofein" crowd!

      Be a goo apparachnik and Peet Meskovich, comrad",
      Daludid with the masses and download, etc.
      Nastrovia!

      Here endeth, j.s.anderson comments...........Mr."I've seen the future and it's yesterdays mistakes with more SnakeOil & Gullibility, is done for the day.............................................................