The Future of Religion (part 1)

  • Wayne Radinsky
    Message 1 of 3 , May 26 8:27 PM
      I'll respond to the post on evolution vs religion (creationism)
      at some point when I have more time. But for now, here's
      an article, a long article actually, but worth reading, because
      it will get you thinking about Islam and where religion is
      really headed...

      + Hearts, Minds, and Dollars +
      In an Unseen Front in the War on Terrorism, America is Spending
      Millions...To Change the Very Face of Islam
      http://www.usnews.com/usnews/news/articles/050425/25roots.htm
    • Nanyun Zhang
      Message 2 of 3 , May 30 12:13 PM
        Interesting article. I also felt inspired to think about its implication to the Sino-US relationship in this "new era".

        Two articles responded to it--just FYI; they have nothing to do with my opinions.

        http://www.spinwatch.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=913

        http://www.aljazeerah.info/Opinion%20editorials/2005%20Opinion%20Editorials/April/27%20o/Determined%20to%20change%20the%20very%20face%20of%20Islam%20By%20Abid%20Ullah%20Jan.htm

        Wayne Radinsky <waynerad@...> wrote:
        I'll respond to the post on evolution vs religion (creationism)
        at some point when I have more time. But for now, here's
        an article, a long article actually, but worth reading, because
        it will get you thinking about Islam and where religion is
        really headed...

        + Hearts, Minds, and Dollars +
        In an Unseen Front in the War on Terrorism, America is Spending
        Millions...To Change the Very Face of Islam
        http://www.usnews.com/usnews/news/articles/050425/25roots.htm

        "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you did not do than those you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Give yourself away to the sea of life."
        -Mark Twain
      • ALAN PATRICK
        Message 3 of 3 , May 30 1:14 PM
          Its worth looking at this excerpt from the first of Nanyung Zhang's urls wrt
          the US program described in Wayne's email...kinda says it all:

          **************

          What if the Arab world were to band together to pour millions of dollars
          into, say, "Western world outreach" to influence and infiltrate schools and
          churches. What if such a body set-up satellite media outlets targeting
          Westerners and designed to change the very personas of their listeners and
          viewers using indoctrination techniques, perhaps even subliminal messages?

          Can you imagine the outrage? Fox News anchors would have apoplexy,
          anti-Islamic preachers, such as Jerry Falwell, Franklin Graham and Pat
          Robertson would be calling for a crusade.
          In truth, Washington's foreign policies have not only failed abysmally, they
          have made things worse. Prior to the United States going on a rampage of
          revenge post-9/11, most of the region's youth looked up to America as a
          force for good. Most genuinely saw democracy as the way forward. Certainly,
          they were disgruntled over America's favouritism, putting Israelis before
          Palestinians, but during Clinton's watch, they saw the United States as
          halfway to being an honest broker.

          Washington's mistake was its reaction to the 9/11 attacks. The 19 alleged
          attackers and their backers were ideological maniacs of the kind found in
          most societies, and Osama Bin Laden a weird individual, a cast aside warrior
          remnant from the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan, rejected by family and
          country. Their acts were criminal and instead of being labelled as "Muslims"
          they should have been given their proper title: killers.

          Instead, in the eyes of the more uninformed sectors of the American public,
          the world's approximately 1.5 billion Muslims were banded together and
          thought of as extremists or even potential terrorists. American Muslims were
          rounded up in their thousands and made to disappear for months; Afghanistan
          and Iraq were invaded and thousands dumped in jails around the world,
          including Guantanamo, Bagram and Abu Ghraib, where many were abused,
          tortured and even killed.

          The irony is this. Despite US efforts in fighting the so-called war on
          terror, terrorists have multiplied as evidenced by a new Patterns of Global
          Terror report, which US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice sought to
          suppress, with the main victims of terrorism being Arabs themselves. The
          report concluded that there were more terrorist attacks in 2004 than in any
          year since 1985, when the first such terror report was published. So
          embarrassing is the report evidencing Bush's failure that the State
          Department has decided to stop publishing it in the future.

          Food for thought......

          Rgds

          Alan