FW: Long polymers light up LEDs and other random news

  • wayne radinsky
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30 8:12 PM
      Since nobody else seems to have anything to say, I'll
      try posting some news articles I thought were interesting.

      Wayne

      --

      Long polymers light up LEDs (Apr 30)

      LEDs made from long-chain polymers should emit more light
      than those based on short molecules, according to
      physicists in the US and the Netherlands. Valy Vardeny of
      the University of Utah and colleagues say they were amazed
      to find that the production of light-emitting `excitons' in
      these materials depends on the length of the polymer chain.
      The discovery could lead to the development of
      ultra-efficient polymer LEDs (M Wohlgenannt et al 2002
      Phys. Rev. Lett. 88 197401).

      http://physicsweb.org/article/news/6/4/22

      Light flash restructures carbon nanotubes

      In an accidental discovery at Rensselaer Polytechnic
      Institute, materials researchers have found that
      carbon nanotubes can be restructured using light.

      The effect was discovered when a laboratory assistant,
      undergraduate Andres de la Guardia, was photographing
      a batch of synthesized single-walled carbon nanotubes.
      His photo showed the nanotubes igniting.

      http://www.eet.com/at/news/OEG20020430S0014

      Polymer transistors hint at all-organic displays

      Researchers at Pennsylvania State University have built
      an active-matrix (AM) LCD that uses polymer transistors
      in place of silicon devices. The Penn State team claims
      the performance of the display is comparable to those
      built using amorphous silicon devices.

      Bell Labs breaks through on Moore's Law

      Scientists at Bell Labs, the research and development arm
      of Lucent Technologies, have found a way to peer deep
      inside a semiconductor and create an image of a single
      impurity atom in silicon, a development that will
      help scientists understand how impurities affect the
      properties of microchips.

      http://news.com.com/2100-1001-892894.html?tag=cd_mh

      Origin of bipedalism seems most closely tied to environmental
      changes

      The hypothesis they found the most support for regarding
      the origin of bipedalism is the one that argues our
      ancestors began walking upright largely in response
      to environmental changes -- in particular, to the
      growing incidence of open spaces and the way that
      changed the distribution of food.

      http://www.news.uiuc.edu/scitips/02/05bipedal.html

      USC Ophthalmologists Announce Launch of Permanent Retinal
      Implant Study

      http://uscnews.usc.edu/usctoday/action.lasso?-database=USCToday.fmp&-response=Detail.html&-logicalOp=and&-recID=35683&-search

      http://health.yahoo.com