Interrupting your busy Holiday Schedule

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 10, 2004

      Weblog post: http://www.futuresalon.org/2004/12/interrupting_yo.html

      On this mailing list there is quite some discussion going on
      regarding the "What is wrong with TV News?" post.

      Quite fitting to that theme, there is a great chance to see how the
      media is covering the Iraq war in the new movie: Weapons of Mass
      Deception playing this weekend at the Embarcadero (and in Berkeley
      too).

      Please take a break from the Holiday frenzies and join us for the
      7:30 showing tomorrow Saturday 12th of December at the Embarcadero
      theater. Danny Schechter the director will be at hand to answer some
      questions after the film. If that wasn't enough, we will head to the
      next watering hole afterwords for more discussions too.

      The Chicago Reader says it goes beyond Michael Moore and offers
      a "comprehensive and devastating critique of the TV news networks
      complacency and complicity in the war in Iraq ....brilliantly argued
      and well documented ." .

      Noam Chomsky in 1988 talks about manufacturing consent. I am sure
      that we will see some of that documented tomorrow night. (Another
      summary of Chomsky's book written by David Cromwell)

      Think about all the things that don't get reported too, or did you
      know about the Cuban political prisoners in the US? I didn't until I
      read a Chomsky interview:

      Cuba approached the United States with an offer to cooperate in
      combating terrorism and, in fact, the FBI sent people to Cuba to get
      information from the Cubans about it. The next thing was that Cubans
      who had infiltrated the terrorist groups in the United States were
      arrested. That is utterly shocking! Do you think it's reported?
      Nobody knows about it. I mean, here are Cubans who are infiltrating
      illegal, terrorist organizations in the United States, which are
      violating US law and the infiltrators are arrested, not the
      terrorists.

      Shocking. He is referring to this William Blum's article in Counter
      Punch as one of the few good accounts.

      Quite some food for thought and discussion tomorrow night.

      See you all there, Mark.