RE: [bafuture] First the 'X Prize', now 'America's Space Prize'

  • Robert Schingler
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 20 8:44 AM
      The X prize worked. For all intents and purposes, it was a success. Think
      about all the free advertising that was attracted to Rutan, Allen, and
      Branson. Excellent.

      It is going to be an order of magnitude difficult to scale Rutan's Space
      Ship One into an orbital vehicle. You need to go 8km/s to get into orbit,
      and right now space ship one can go 1km/s (and you don't just strap on 7
      more of the boosters!).

      I really like the incentive that X prize developed for the private sector.
      And we shouldn't underestimate the publicity this has developed. Therefore,
      the $50m America's Space Prize might be enough to attract for-profit
      developers (assuming that they can be as successful as X Prize was in
      attracting publicity). That being said, I think it is going to be an
      incremental progression for private ventures into space.

      America's Space Price jumped the gun, and they did it without Peter
      Diamandis (founder of X prize). I think his way forward is to keep up the
      momentum by doing an annual X Cup, and keep charting the course with
      incremental prizes along the way.