Brain Interfaces

  • Troy Gardner
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 20, 2002
      Here's the link I was talking about :

      http://www.beyond2000.com/news/May_00/story_605.html

      "No Brainer

      While dozens of teams around the world are working on such brain-computer
      interfaces (BCI's), Rochester computer science graduate student Jessica Bayliss
      is the first to show that detection of the brain's weak electrical signals is
      possible in a busy environment filled with activity. She has shown that
      volunteers who don a virtual reality-style helmet in her lab can control
      elements in a virtual world, including turning lights on and off and bringing a
      mock-up of a car to a stop by thought alone. "

      HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
      http://www.hotjobs.com
    • Troy Gardner

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 20, 2002
          Here's another one that talks about lie-detection, in the context of
          facial expressions (and "microexpressions") in general:

          http://www.gladwell.com/2002/2002_08_05_a_face.htm

          At 12:51 AM -0700 on 2002-08-20, wayne radinsky typed:

          --
          All you /\/\ John Abbe "If you don't like the news,
          need \ / CatHerder go out and make some of your own."
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 21, 2002
            Thanks, John, this was a really fascinating article.

            I'll definitely start looking for some of this stuff.
            I'll have to learn the techniques and then go and play
            back the videotape I have of George W's two 9/11
            speeches.

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 18, 2002
              The mathematics of divorce
              Another article mentioning Paul Ekman's system
              http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/front/RTGAM/20020817/wxdivo0817/Front/homeBN/breakingnews

              Love Dectector To Change Relations Between Lovers
              I think they mean "Detector"...
              http://english.pravda.ru/fun/2002/09/03/35886.html

              --- John Abbe <johnca@...> wrote:
              > Here's another one that talks about lie-detection, in the
              > context of
              > facial expressions (and "microexpressions") in general:
              >
              > http://www.gladwell.com/2002/2002_08_05_a_face.htm
              >
              > At 12:51 AM -0700 on 2002-08-20, wayne radinsky typed:
              > >Here's the article I couldn't remember at the meeting
              > >about the lie detection system in the brian.
              > >
              > >Harvard students and Amazon Indians help identify the brain's
              > >lie detector
              > >

              >http://news.independent.co.uk/world/science_medical/story.jsp?story=323936
              > >

              > >Here's what the article actually said:
              > >
              > >The scientists studied a brain-damaged patient, known only by
              > >the initials RM, who was quite normal in all respects except
              > >that he was naive when it came to interacting with other
              > people
              > >and had difficulty with money.
              > >
              > >"RM's differential impairment indicates that being able to
              > >detect potential cheaters may be a separable component of the
              > >human mind," say the researchers. They suggest the cheating
              > >centre is in the limbic system of the brain.
              >
              > --
              > All you /\/\ John Abbe "If you don't like the
              > news,
              > need \ / CatHerder go out and make some of
              > your own."
              > is... \/ http://www.ourpla.net/john/
              > --Wes Nisker

              Yahoo! News - Today's headlines